Treadling and Baking

It doesn’t seem like the holiday season until I do some baking.   Today I made ginger snaps.    They are super gingery, with molasses and cinnamon and lemon zest and I love this recipe because they are chewy in the center.

This is Teddy saying “I don’t see a cookie in my bowl”

Teddy doesn’t get people food so he had to make due with a dog biscuit.   He was fine with that.

The new belt for the treadle machine came in the mail today.

I had to try it out.  It is super easy to install the belt.  The belt is a long piece of leather with a metal clip at one end. First thread the belt up to the top of the machine.

Then pull it tight and mark where to cut it.

Next make a hole in the end, I used a giant needle that was in the cabinet.

Then put the clip through the hole and use pliers to bend it shut.

It took a minute to get the threading straight but it stitches beautifully!

I’ll have to plan a quilt top to piece so I can get some treadle practice.  I also need to give it a good cleaning and oiling …. but it is great fun!

37 thoughts on “Treadling and Baking

1. Michelle says:

I suspect you’ll really enjoy it. I love mine!

2. Cheryl says:

Good job on both fronts! I haven’t baked a thing yet (too busy crafting gifts) but tomorrow s a new day! Crocheting afghans for toy dolls right now. Thanks, as always, for sharing, Tim!

3. glendajean says:

So glad it is up and running again for you Tim, these old treadle machines are gems, I learnt to sew on one around the age of 4 and used it till I was around 15, When I was in my 30 and learnt to spin lovely wool and mohair it was so so easy for me to learn how to spin as I all ready knew how to treadle the wheel. What joy it was having that rhythm under my foot again. Happy treading Tim Glenda

4. Sandy says:

Amazing machine. Great that you brought it to life again. You cook too, wow!

5. huggybears says:

That for sure is an awesome maschine -love the decals on it-and having it up running again-pure delight ! Can almost hear the humming sound it makes ! And the cookies are beyond to have ! Have yourself and Teddy a wonderful christmas Tim .Marga

6. Marilyn Schambach says:

Did I miss a recipe here???

7. Cathie King says:

Does this talented duo give out recipes? Ginger snaps are my all time favourite. Wishing you and Teddy a wonderful Christmas from 2 schnauzers and a quilter in Toronto.

8. Sandra Henderson says:

Yay!!!! So happy for you to be in the treadle world! You will love it.
    I made ginger snaps the other day and put finely chopped candied ginger in the recipe. I like spicy ginger and drink the tea all the time, so I love the extra zing.
    Teddy is so cute.
    I got a dehydrator and make my own dog jerky, chicken and beef. I buy what’s on sale. I have e butcher hunky slice and dehydrate with nothing on it. So, my hound is happy.
    I dehydrated a ton of apples this fall, and made human jerky with spices. Just another thing for you to consider doing in your spare time. Lol (I think you have enough!)

9. Sandra B says:

Those ginger snaps sound like the ones I make….love them when they are soft in the center! I have only made one thing….Magic Cookie Bars…and my husband is always nearby to cut into them as soon as they are cool enough….
    I need to get busy on the baking!
    Love the stitches the treadle makes! Cannot wait to see what you make using it!!

10. Shelley says:

Hello! I rescued a 1905 Singer treadle machine that was made in Kilbowie Scotland! Its needs a new belt. Where did you purchase your belt? Mine did not come with a manual. I admire the fact you enjoy antique sewing machines too!

I will have to test out your cookie recipe! Love ginger snap cookies!

Happy Holidays!
    Shelley

11. Cheri says:

I keep flirting with the idea of adding a treadle to my little collection, and seeing your experience just nudges me a little closer. Looks like fun and brings back memories of my grandma’s machine.

12. jechoisir says:

I first sewed on a treadle machine, and before that, spent beaucoups hours watching my mother sew at that machine. Seemed so elegant. Looking at the photos for changing the belt brought back memories. I think one has more control with an electric machine, but somehow I felt i had more with the treadle machine. Stitches looked good. I think you should make Teddy some jerky, incidentally.

I think that I might have more control with the treadle…it is easier to go slow ….on the other machines I tend to go as fast as it will go….slower is easier to be accurate

13. Lorij says:

hi Tim, I’m happy you have the machine working. you will enjoy it. How many cookies does this recipe make?
    Ginger snaps are delicious with cheese.

14. That machine is so cool! I often wonder what happened to my grandmother’s machine…
    The cookies sound delicious! So far I’ve made Sugar Cookies, Cranberry Drops, Peanut Butter – Chocolate Kiss Cookies, & Springerle’s. Have I mentioned that I love to bake?

15. Nerida Duncan says:

Great to see the machine working and thanks for the ‘how to’s’ on setting up the new belt. I hope to have one of my own again one day.

This is the only time of the year I do ginger snaps and there are people who just love them and look forward to them every year. So far I haven’t done any this year but I wont be doing 8 dozen. My first attempt at Christmas cake this year is out by the birth bath, the birds and possums might enjoy it. It was a new recipe but the oven is not quite right either. Oh well – nothing for it but to try again or revert back to the tried and true recipe I usually use. I dont use alcohol so I cant keep them as long and as it is the height of summer here it is always a last minute thing for me.

Happy treadling Tim. Say to Teddy for me.

I understand how that goes……new recipe is always a risk…..and I have had oven problems in the past as well…..it is hard to time things it the temperature setting is off. Im sure the new one you do will work out, and you made the local wildlife very happy 🙂

16. Pam G. says:

Tim – you have motivated me yet again! After the holidays I’m going to open up my Free treadle machine and give it a try. Ginger snaps sound really good, so may have to try that too.

17. Frederick says:

I am wondering where you found that leather strap and hook? It’s just what I have needed for a few decades to restore my grandmother’s treadle machine that I learned to sew on as a kid.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )