Piecing

After I got the Treadle machine working I had to try doing some piecing.   I got some assorted fabrics , cut them into 2.5 inch squares and made some simple nine patches.

DSCN8725 (2)

And some 6.5 inch squares with Half square triangles in the corners.

They will be set like this

I have a ton more fabric pulled for it so there will be a lot more scrappiness.

A few days ago I was at an antique/gifty type store and they had some old Coke Santa ornament which I didn’t need but could resist.

I found some room for them today on the Santa Tree.

It is packed full!   I might need a bigger tree

DSCN8727 DSCN8730 DSCN8729 DSCN8728

it is as tall as I can go so it will have to be wider

Time to get back to the machine

24 thoughts on “Piecing

So how is the treadle going?I can’t wait to test mine if it is in working order! I have a friend who learned to sew on one in high school and won 1st place with a linen suit in their county fair. This was in the 60’s!

2. Sandra Henderson says:

I somehow missed the Santa tree this year, if you posted about it. I remember the first year I began following your blog and saw it. Did you have it or one sitting up on a table one year in front of s window in the living room? I feel like you are an old friend. I remember when you did that Christmas quilt over the chair. Isn’t it s tablecloth you found and hand quilted? You really should do s quilt cam type thing…
    Bonnie had s great idea doing that, but she’s always on the road and there’s s a need for that sort of thing more than she can do it. Room for more venues to visit and inspire in that way, as far as I’m concerned! I don’t work and live isolated in the smoky mountains. Love how you post so often, but don’t know how you do it all! Keep up the great work!

lets see … I did have the santa tree posted about a few years ago ( a smaller one) and trees on a table in the window ….I love to decorate….I think I’ll do a few more trees next year….maybe one for the front porch …..I don’t know how Bonnie can do it….I am productive but very unorganized . Merry Christmas

3. Barbara Rasch says:

I enjoyed looking at your Santa Tree. I had one but now too lazy to put it up. Your scrappy quilt is going to be neat. I like this type of quilt. Will be waiting to see it finished.

4. Angela says:

You don’t need a tree, you need a city.

5. Nancy Combs says:

Your Santa tree is fantastic! I collect Santa’s too but my collection pales in comparison to yours. I’m enjoying your blog so much. Looks like the treadle machine is working great.

I have been collecting them for about 25 years and most of them have been gifts over the years……so it is always a trip down memory lane to unpack them and hang them up

6. Jeanette says:

I have a Santa tree and a sewing tree. Love them both…..

7. Sandra B says:

Love the scrappy blocks! Cannot wait to see it evolve into a great quilt!!
    Also love the new additions of old Santa ornaments, nestled among all the other Santas!

Thanks …..I was looking at the tree this afternoon and thinking there might be room for a few more……most of them have been gifts over the years. It is a 25 year collection and growing

8. Rose in Vt says:

Tim: You’ll never convince us you’re not organized! I can’t wait to get at my treadle, and put the belt on. But it will have to wait until some packages get mailed. I’m going to try your gingersnap recipe this week also!

9. Happy birthday, hope your day has been good.

10. banksia says:

LOVE bagpipe santa!,and,of course the new treadle quilt,Happy holidays Tim,thank you for so much visual joy,special pats to that dog with impeccable taste,Teddy

11. Suzette Shoulders says:

Tim, Your Santa tree is wonderful! May I suggest a Grand Fir? They can be as wide as they are tall, lots of room for ornaments! We had one only once, best tree ever! 9 feet tall and 9 feet wide!

Comments