Finishing

On Friday I posted about an old painted cabinet I bought.

I had done some of the paint stripping.

I got the rest of the paint off and the finish on.

DSCN8747DSCN8743 DSCN8744

I need to let it dry for a day…then I can fill it up.

Now it is time to sit by the tree and do some hand work

75 thoughts on “Finishing

1. Sandra Henderson says:

Okay. I give.
    Bring out the elves anything you’re ready.
    Do they moonlight?

Holley smokes batman!

You burn some serious midnight oil!

Talk about having s vision to see a diamond in the rough…
    Good for you! That is beautiful! I’ve stripped things before snd it’s hard to get paint out of tiny cracks and crevices.

Make yourself some tea and rest with your handwork. You deserve a break. Good job!

2. Cathie Lanier says:

Tim, the cabinet looks awesome!

3. Sandy says:

What an amazing piece! Love the rounded glass. Great restoration.

4. Susan Green says:

Beautiful! I love old oak furniture.

5. Tim, that’s beautiful! Great job!

6. civilwarlady says:

You get more done in the shortest amount of time of anyone I have ever seen! Totally awesome work on the cabinet. I refinish furniture, too. I wonder if there is some tie between quilting and refinishing??

7. civilwarlady says:

Does Teddy help you?? Is that how you are so productive? I am jealous: Abbey only helps with quilt testing!

8. Annette Jacob says:

Tim–can you recommend what I might use to get rid of water marks,
    etc. from my walnut kitchen table. I want to refinish it myself, because
    just the top needs to be stripped–and there is not much “stuff” to take off–I’ve had the table for 25 years, and want to give it a “face job!”
    Thanks for any suggestions! Annette

gently rub some non-gel toothpaste on the wood with a soft cloth. Then wipe it off with a damp cloth and let it dry before applying furniture polish. If that doesn’t do the job mix equal parts white toothpaste and baking soda. and follow up with polish …..

9. banksia says:

O that’s sensational!!!Who paints over oak!!!!(looks like oak)beautiful piece!envyπŸ˜€

10. Swift turn over time on that gorgeous china cabinet!! Happy week!!

11. jean says:

beautiful job on the cabinet! I’m sure it will be a treasure for you for many years. Have a wonderful Christmas season.

12. Cheryl says:

oh my gosh you are so fast! What a beautiful piece to enjoy! Merry Christmas from one of your fans.

13. Tazzie says:

Your cabinet looks just lovely Tim. I have one just like it – it was painted when we purchased it too. When we stripped it, sadly some of the timber was too badly damaged to be saved, so it’s now a high gloss cream colour, but it looks really lovely anyway. Have to admit, I like your timber much better. Have a wonderful Christmas.
    Tazzie
    πŸ™‚

14. Cathie King says:

That is gorgeous. Wouldn’t you love to know the history of it. Are you going to put some quilts in it?

Lots of harrumphing, tsking and sighing here — Andrew and I agree, you are just insanely talented, almost intolerably so. Geesh. How beautiful is that?

16. Sharron K. Evans says:

Gorgeous cabinet. Isn’t it amazing what a little love will do!

17. Sharon in Galesburg says:

What a gorgeous piece of furniture…..that is, after you restored it. You did a great jobπŸ˜ƒ

Superior job! I would load it up with quilts!

19. terryknott says:

Wow! Now that is what the cabinet should look like. . .absolutely beautiful! Kudos to you! What a lot of arm power!

20. Your cabinet is absolutely amazing!!!

21. Pat Beech says:

Wow looks fantastic. Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year

22. helen says:

This is a beauty and you are a master!
    Wow!
    Best wishes!

23. Shelley says:

Wow! A diamond in the rough! Beautiful job! Happy Holidays!

24. Karen says:

Very nice! Beautiful finish. It reminds me of a china cabinet my grandparents had when I was a little girl.

25. Nancy says:

It looks wonderful! My mother painted furniture in the 1970s, including a piece like this which she displayed her Depression glass collection in. My bother spent the 1980s removing that paint from the pieces!

I guess painting was the thing in the 70’s …those “antiquing kits” a can of colored paint ( blue or greeen or gold ) and a small can of black varnish that you put over it to make it “antique’ My mom did a few of those in the 70’s

26. lilquilter says:

Tim! Great job! It looks awesome! Now have yourself a merry little Christmas, and a happy and healthy New Year. Quilt on in 2016!

27. Your cabinet looks wonderful! Am really enjoying the updates about all of your activities, quilting or others. You certainly stay busy doing all the things you love. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

28. Jan Smith says:

Tim, your energy needs to be bottled and sold. I’d buy some! Beautiful job – as in all that you do.
    Happy holidays to Teddy, and you, too.

29. tdspringer says:

Love it. We have one in the antique store that is almost identical to that….not painted though.

30. Carolyn Moffit says:

Tim, that cabinet is beautiful! You did an excellent job of restoring it. It will look wonderful filled with your quilts!

31. Ginney Camden says:

Your new cabinet is beautiful! Good job.

32. Gisele says:

You did an amazing restoration of that cabinet Tim, you certainly are a jack of all trades! Merry Christmas to you & Teddy have a wonderful holiday season πŸ™‚

33. Nerida Duncan says:

Looks fabulous, well worth the effort.

34. Robbie Payne says:

This is beautiful!!!! Leaving wood natural is the way to go!! nicely done!

35. Denice says:

Holy Cow you work fast! It really turned out nice and we will all be jealous to see it filled with quilts.

36. Lorij says:

Your antique China cabinet turned out beautifully. When you put your China in it, it will look beautiful.
    I hope you and Teddy have a very wonderful Christmas and a blessed and prosperous 2016.

Comments