3 to go

I am making progress on the Rose Applique quilt.    I have 3 roses to go and the center will be done.

Most of the rest of the quilt will be hand quilting…..I might add another rose to the 4 corners…..but I will need to see how that will fit with the pattern on the background fabric.   I design as I go so it is never a sure thing how I will decide to do it.

Thank you to everyone for the positive comments about the refurnished cabinet.     Several have mentioned how nice it would look full of quilts, which I know it would,  but I won’t be doing that.      Quilts and wood are not friends.  Wood is pretty acidic and can damage quilts.  From the Michigan State University Museum Great Lakes Quilt Center:  “Wooden storage containers (shelves) should be sealed with a protective coating of polyurethane, then lined with unbleached washed muslin or acid free paper.”

I don’t always follow recommendations to the letter but in this case I think it is good advice.   I finished the cabinet with shellac because I don’t think Poly ever gives the same warm finish as shellac and tends too look to new to me. Does shellac give the same protection to quilts as poly?   I don’t know and I really don’t think lining the cabinet with muslin or tissue would be very attractive.   So I am starting to fill it with Knickknacks….of which I have plenty. Starting with some of the Santas that I made.  ( I think I will leave them there year round because I can)

I haven’t done much on the new quilt top

but I am enjoying the treadle machine.

In the picture you can see a nine patch laid out on a piece of paper.    After I cut the squares I arrange then in an order I like, one nine patch set per sheet of paper. There are about 8 or 9 sets stacked up waiting to be sewn.  I always seem to mess up the order if I don’t get the pieces organized first.

Teddy says HI

17 thoughts on “3 to go

1. Shauna says:

The photos of the quilt top laid out show how much the applique rose design complements the dye pattern of the quilt top. It’s stunning. Love watching the progress. Thanks for posting the project as you go along.

Well the Santas look great in the cabinet, too!

3. Sandy says:

The appliqué rose & finished cabinet – both beautiful. You are so multi-talented. Hi Teddy!

4. Your cabinet is perfect for your Santas. I’m sure you will find a great way to display your beautiful quilts.

5. joandstella says:

I love your Santas, Tim. I wonder how you learned to make them, class?, book, just your own ideas and skill?

Merry Christmas,
    Jo McKnight

Yes I just sort of made it up as I went…the faces, hands, toys etc are polymer clay, the bodies I made with a wire frame and paper mache ….felt for the clothes

6. Janice says:

Your cabinet is stunning! I am in awe with how quickly you were able to turn it around and finish it. If that were me, it would be 6 months before I even got the paint scraped off! Super job; looks really great, Tim!

7. Dee says:

I LOVE the cabinet too! The things you accomplish!!! Wow, I’m so slow… Congrats on creating such beauty!!

8. Barbara Rasch says:

Cabinet looks wonderful You did an excellent job. The Santaslook great.I display some of mine all year. This way you can enjoy them all the time.You are amazing in all you do
    You and Teddy have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

9. Rose in Vt says:

Beautiful Santa’s in the cabinet, which also turned out wonderful! A Merry Christmas to you and Teddy.

10. Pam G. says:

The quilt is so beautiful!!! And the cabinet – you did a great job, and so quickly. I wish I had half your energy.

Comments