Alphabet piecing

Last time I posted pictures of the fabric I bought for a baby quilt.

DSCN8778DSCN8779

I started on it today.    First I cut the squares apart.  If you have ever used one of these kinds of printed squares it is frustrating that they are not all the same size!   so I am sort of taking the average.    The sasning pieces are Cut to the width of one block.   I cut the sashing 2.5 inches wide and 7 3/4 inches long.

Next I cut a bunch of 1 1/2″ squares of blue fabric.  A blue square goes on the corner

sew from corner to corner of the square

cut off the corners

press open

do the other 2 corners

DSCN8788DSCN8789

press open

I am  using a 2 1/2 ” square of blue for the cornerstones.   and when they come together they look like this

I still have to make a bunch of the sashing pieces.     Once they are sewn together the corners will look like stars…now they are a bit wonky looking but that is just because they are not sewn together.

This does produce a big pile of very small triangles.

I know that many people would save them and hope to use them in a future project.   I don’t foresee ever making something with such small pieces so mine are going into the trash.

The weather was not nearly as bad as the forecast.    The Ice they predicted never stuck to the trees and power lines so it was not bad.   It was a mix of sleet, and snow and ice…and it did accumulate on the ground.   It did require shoveling and it felt like shoveling a 5000 gallon slurpee….cold and frozen but wet and heavy….and sliding off of the shovel.

Snow flurries today….back to sewing for me

30 thoughts on “Alphabet piecing

1. Marilyn says:

I have always liked this sashing pattern. It sets off your blocks perfectly.

2. katlorien says:

Thankyou fr showing this technique for sashing. I have not seen it before but will be book marking it for future use.
    My dog was rather jealous of Teddy’s stylish bandanas, so she had to have a Christmas one for the first time and she is almost 15!

3. Jill says:

Purple Heart will take your scraps and use them to make insulation.I collect scraps for my guilds and have a pick-up once a month.You can send them to me…

4. Sandy says:

Love it!

5. Ann Genaske says:

I must admit I’m envious of your ability to sit at the sewing machine to quickly piece together a top. I’m unable to sit up long enough so everything must be done by hand. My UFO list gets longer and longer. 🙂 Thank you for providing your teachings and inspirations throughout the year. Wishing you all the best for the new year.a

6. girl in the stix says:

I bought an alphabet pattern recently–thanks for the tips!

7. That will be an adorable baby quilt! I’m glad your weather was better than expected. Shoveling the slushy stuff is always an ordeal!

8. JanineMarie says:

This is a fun quilt–I like your starred sashing. I’m glad the storm wasn’t as bad as expected, too. But. If your power had gone out, you could have gone straight to your treadle! I was all ready with my LED battery lamp. Treadling during a power outage is such a smug feeling. 🙂

9. averyclaire says:

This is absolutely adorable. A lovely quilt for any baby! Love what you did with the sashing! Nice work. Also LOVE your batik background with the ROSE APPLIQUE. This is magnificent. Will be quite a lovely piece!

10. beth says:

tim, did you get the red alphabet material from england?  i have been looking

11. Lorij says:

Beautiful fabric. A few years ago I bought this alphabet fabric with white background and made curtains for my Grandaughters windows. I don’t know if your fabric is duck cloth weight but what I used was. It made awesome curtains .
    The quilt will be so happy because you have happy fabric and your sister and husband will be so proud. I’m sure Teddy approves 😄.

12. Lou Page Graham says:

Thank you for sharing how to do the cute star sashing, I will try that on a future quilt. By the way reading your posts has given me inspiration to do hand quilting, I am on my second one in three weeks. They are twin bed sized for children. Happy New Year to you and your readers!

13. Wanda says:

Great idea! I’m always perplexed with panels and how to use them so I may borrow this idea. Glad your weather was not as severe as predicted. Happy New Year Tim and Teddy!!

14. Rose in Vt says:

Had to look at the comments to see how many offers you had to take those triangles off your hands! The last pile I had of those got made into little squares – I discovered them in a drawer the other day. So your trash idea sounds a better use of time. Happy New Year to you and Teddy.

15. Dr. Sitara says: