A Year for Mistakes

Happy New Year to everyone.

Earlier I posted this on my Facebook page but I want to share it here as well.

In quilting (and in life) we sometimes are too concerned with perfection.

“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You’re doing things you’ve never done before, and more importantly, you’re Doing Something.

So that’s my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody’s ever made before. Don’t freeze, don’t stop, don’t worry that it isn’t good enough, or it isn’t perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you’re scared of doing, Do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”
― Neil Gaiman

I plan to make a lot 🙂

I got my Alphabet quilt top finished. (it does have a few imperfections but that is OK)

I will post some about the hand quilting plan next time

Happy New Year
and don’t be afraid to make a few mistakes

36 thoughts on “A Year for Mistakes

1. Sandra B says:

What a wonderful post!! I have learned some of my greatest lessons, in all areas of my life, from mistakes….if we don’t try something new, we don’t learn new things, and in making mistakes, we make our way to mastering new things….I have heard that in making quilts, there was a time when there was a custom to put a deliberate mistake in each one since we, as humans, are not perfect….well, I, for one, don’t have to worry about making a deliberate mistake, as I make unintentional ones anyway! And, it doesn’t bother me at all….it is just part of life!! Of course, I wouldn’t leave in a mistake if it was a bad one, but a minor one here and there wouldn’t even be noticed by most! So thanks so much for sharing your post today!
    Love the alphabet quilt! The stars add so much to it….
    Happy New Year to you and Teddy….may 2016 be your best year yet!! Cannot wait to see all the great projects you share with your readers in the coming year!!

2. katechiconi says:

A very happy New Year to you, and may you make plenty of constructive, inspirational mistakes!

3. Jill says:

What a super quilt for baby and beyond…Happy New Year Tim and Teddy!

4. Joanne says:

Tim, thank you for your blog and honest reflections on life. I have found both very inspiring in 2015 after returning to quilting after approx 20 years (can you imagine the changes! All wonderful I have to say!). My first passion is handquilting so please keep the posts and photos coming in 2016. Happy New Year to you and again, thank you! Joanne – New Zealand

5. Nancy says:

Gaimen is a wise man as well as an interesting writer. Here’s to making all the mistakes we can!

6. Deb says:

Happy New year! Great advice

7. Jackie howe says:

How do I comment, this is a new year and I want to tell your emails in the midst of so many ads etc, is a breath of fresh air, always click on yours first because they just are, no sales, just wonderful gardens and quilts, have a wonderful year Tim. You and Teddy have certainly enhanced my year.

Happy New Year to you and Teddy!

9. Cathie King says:

Good advice. Happy New Year to you and Teddy.

10. Lorij says:

So true Tim, if we never make mistakes many times we won’t learn. Many lessons have been learned from a mistake.
    Have a wonderful, healthy, happy, safe and blessed 2016. And Teddy too 😄.

11. audrey says:

That’s what I enjoy about coming to your blog! You always keep quilting real. Thanks for a very inspiring blog and Happy New Year to you!

12. Carin says:

Okay, I will try to make some mistakes 😉

Happy New year to you and Teddy, I wish you all the best for 2016

13. helen says:

Thank you, Tim, for these encouraging words!
    I have sent them to all my quilting-friends! 🙂
    Wishing you a very Happy and Creative New Year!
    Bonne et Heureuse Année!

14. Carolyn Sands says:

Amen! I took a hand applique class from Irene Blanck at Quilt Festival this past year. She said, give it a try (applique) and not to worry because perfection is over rated. That will stick with me for a long time to come.

15. Marla says:

Great post. I love the Neil Gaiman quote. The fear of failure (or imperfection) can stifle creativity and take the joy out of our process. I firmly believe that we learn best by doing! Thanks for sharing your work. I’m looking forward to seeing what 2016 brings your way.

16. Elizabeth Marsden says:

I have been known to sew, undo, sew, undo, sew undo a particular piece until I get it right – which I eventually do – but at a cost. I end up stressed. Reading your comment on making mistakes makes me feel so much better so from now on minor ones will not be redone but left. I am after all human. Thank you for that I just needed someone to tell me not to worry over minor errors. Thank you Tim.

17. Leslie Beltz says:

Have a good 2016! When I make mistakes this year I will smile and remember your advise.

18. banksia says:

Happy New Year to you and Teddy,quilt is fabulous! Love the quote,Neil Gaiman is a personal hero,as are you!:)

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )