First hand quilting of the new year

Yesterday I wrote about not being afraid to make mistakes or try something new.    Today I made a mistake.   I started the hand quilting on the Alphabet quit top.

I recently bought a baptist fan stencil that I wanted to try.     I ordered it on line and when I got it I knew it was not right for me. I never use stencils so I am not even sure why I bought it.   The arcs are too small for my liking but I felt like I should use it since I bought it so I started to mark the top and hating it even more the more I marked.    I should not have talked myself into using it.   The mistake here was ignoring my own judgment.  I made myself stop after marking about 1/2 of the top.

The lesson here is to trust you instincts.   In the end it saves a lot of time and effort.

Instead of re marking I just basted the layers together and got it in the hoop.   I am hand quilting big circles….following the size of the hoop and working in to the center .

You  can see the quilting better on the back

You will notice that it is not perfect…..just doing it by eye.  I like it 🙂  it feels right to me and that is what is important.

I am just quilting over the marking I did and ignoring it…I’ll wash it out when the quilting is finished

Here are some more pictures (click picture to enlarge)

Happy New Year and Happy Quilting

19 thoughts on “First hand quilting of the new year

1. Laurie W says:

Duh. Never thought to follow the hoop! When you’ve done arcs in the past, did you use a different stencil?LAurie

2. Sharon in Galesburg says:

I like the colors and the quilting. I love the dog…..hi to Teddy🤗

That will be a lucky little kid who gets that quilt! Nicely done!

4. Cheryl says:

Happy New Year! Sometimes I have used stencils, but they are often to confining for me. Who wants that?? Anyway, I love what you’ve done. Ear scratches for Teddy, please!

5. Marilyn Schambach says:

Isn’t it a shame that we have to learn things the hard way?

6. judysew4th says:

Such good advice for the new year. Thank you!

7. katechiconi says:

I’ve learned to trust my instincts, even when it meant unpicking yards of stitching. Our hearts know when something isn’t right, even when the head is insisting it’s the way to go. Bravo for listening to your heart.

8. Lorij says:

I understand that very well. I marked the quilt I made for my daughter’s Christmas gift. After if finished I changed my mind completely so, I quilted it free hand worn hearts circlegigs and clam shells it turned out beautifully. More times than not or instincts are right.
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and that 2016 will be a blessing.
    Teddy looks so cute. Give him a rub for me 😊.

9. Wendy says:

Thanks for sharing. I am amazed at how much you get done.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )