I sold a few quilts in the last few days. Most of the money will go to bills, which never seem to take a month off, but I had to buy something fun too. I went to a local Antique Mall today to look for a sewing machine cabinet. I have a Singer 66 that I would like to put in a cabinet to make it more usable.
I had hoped to find a treadle base for it but the only one I found was too expensive and had a Wheeler and Wilson machine in it…..which I might need to reconsider but another time.
I did find this.
It was 22 dollars. It looks pretty rough doesn’t it?
here it is opened up.
I spent the day cleaning it up……I’ll put a new finish on it tomorrow and show you how it looks.
There was a machine in it.
It is not in great shape. I might be able to fix it up …it needs a major cleaning oiling and rewiring. But it is sort of cool looking. I will give it a try but even if it doesn’t work I have the cabinet.
A little further down the aisle I saw this.
It is a Singer 201 made in 1955. It is missing its power cord and foot pedal and the paint isn’t great but the 201 is a great machine.
The Singer Class 201 Sewing Machine features a low shank and a rotary hook. It uses Class 66 Bobbins and 15×1 needles.The electric gear-drive motor mounted on the back of these machines are typically referred to as “potted” motors. The Singer 201 is considered by many collectors to be the best sewing machine Singer ever made. It was 29 dollars. I hope to have it cleaned up and running soon and it will go in the new cabinet. I looks like it has a bandage on it. It was quite common for people to pin a piece of fabric around the machine to use a a place to hold pins. Old machines often are very scratched up in that area from pins. I have not take it off yet to see if this one has been scratched up.
I have been working on hand quilting .
I didn’t get a chance to do the marking a baptist fan demo but I will have that for next time.
This quilt is so hard to quilt! My hands get so tires that I had to take several breaks. I decided to do some more treadle quilting between hand quilting.
I got this top a few years ago.
It was probably made in the 60’s -70’s. It isn’t the most special quilt top in the worls but I thought it would be a good one to continue to practice on.
I’m using red cotton thread. I can definitely see why some quilters like to use invisible thread! The red contrasted with the yellow really show my mistakes.
I am doing this one without marking….so it is a challenge for me to make them all look alike but again it is good practice.
I think I have it set correctly now. I will have to do a few more feathers and see if the thread breaks.
I changes out a few of the hanging quilts.
And now I am back to hand quilting for the night. And Teddy is happy….he like it best when I sit still so he doesn’t have to follow me around the house.