I made a short video of how I mark for Baptist fan quilting. I used brown paper as the quilt top and a sharpie for marking so that it would show up well but you should use something washable! I like Crayola washable markers….but chalk, or a waster erasable marking pen work well too.
I know there are many ways to do this but that is how I marked the one I am currently working on.
Sometimes I don’t mark at all and just follow the curve of the quilt hoop.
I have a power cord and foot pedal on order for the singer I bought yesterday
I also got the cabinet finished. It was sort of a mess.
I use denatured alcohol and steel wool to clean the old finish ….it sort of dissolves the finish and then I wipe it down with paper towel. the alcohol dries fast and is much less harsh than paint stripper. After it is dry I put on a coat of shellac which also dries fast……dry to the touch in 30 minutes.
While that was drying I decided to have a go at fixing up the Montgomery Ward machine that was in it.
it was in bad shape, it had a lot of rust and was frozen. The wheel would not move …..I oiled it and let it sit for a bit and them turned the wheel as much as I could…oiled and turned….oiled and turned…..it finally started to move more freely. I took apart the tension discs and cleaned out the rust….same for the bobbin case and hook. I cleaned out a lot of lint so I know the machine was used a lot at some point. I didn’t have to rewire it to test it because I had a power cord and foot pedal from another machine that fit ( I will rewire it so that the knee control on the cabinet is functional)
It is working great now. Nice stitches and it looks pretty too.
I put it back in the cabinet ( I still think I will put the Singer 201 in the cabinet when I get it running) and Teddy gave it a test run
The feed dogs drop easily on this one so I tried out a bit of free motion on it….works great.
not bad…cabinet and machine 22 dollars!