lots of feathers

I sometimes start a project without really thinking through how hard it will be.     A few days ago I showed the start of quilting on this quilt.

I didn’t think through how may of those triangles there are to quilt…….I have finished about 1/3

I think it is going to look good but didn’t turn out to be the quick project I anticipated.    It is good practice doing feathers without marking.

I am getting closer to the end on the flannel quilt.
DSCN9065 DSCN9064

Teddy is supervising from his chair

24 thoughts on “lots of feathers

1. Mary Whitaker says:

I noticed you started quilting the feathers on one side of the quilt instead of the middle.Was that because it was “practice”?

I am sort of figuring out as I go how to handle all that quilt in the machine……it is well basted and it just was easier for me to start at the edge….not sure that it the right way……

2. susie Q says:

Does the machine quilting go “faster” than the hand quilting. For most of us it would, but you seem to be a very fast hand quilter. I do know the machine quilting is easier on your hands, right?

3. Sandra B says:

I think you will be dreaming about these feathers by the time you finish!! But they are awesome….what a nice complement to the simple half square triangle blocks! And I really like the contrasting color thread…makes the feathers really shine!!
    I see that Teddy is sitting on his “Teddy quilt” while carrying out his supervisory duties!!

🙂 it is his throne …LOL actually he loves to sit there so he can easily see out the window behind the chair. the good thing about all those feathers is that I am getting better at them …..I am afraid the last half of the quilt will me much better than the first

4. Rose in Vt says:

Looking great!

5. huggybears says:

Feathers without marking any !!What an effort-and they all look alike !! Being a hand quilter I never would dare to do that !! Absolutly stunning are the results while creating this on your treadle maschine !! Chapeau Tim-thats awesome !! Even Teddy is pleased to see this ❤
    Marga

6. Teresa Duggan says:

I love Teddy! And the quilts Tim.

Ah, back to managing, I see — no more getting his paws dirty with the actual treadle work. You know how the boss man is; too delicate for actual labor.

8. Cheri says:

Sometimes it’s good to not know what you’re getting into until it’s too late. How many quilters have started with a queen-size quilt?! When one pushes the limit as you do, you can only win. You will have those free motion feathers down pat by the time you’re done! You inspire me.

9. Pat Meinecke says:

Hey, they are looking better and better aren’t they?

10. katlorien says:

The feathers are wonderfully effective with the contrasting thread. Yes, my dog is very good at supervising…and leaving gifts of hair. I could use it as batting, the amount she sheds. At least it comes away in little tumbleweeds, which are easy to pluck up with finger and thumb!

11. Ginney Camden says:

Is it hard when you’re quilting those feathers and you get to the middle and have all that quilt bunched up in the machine? I haven’t done much machine quilting.

it is much harder in the center with all that quilt to fight with…..but my treadle machine has nine inches of space from needle to machine and lots of height so there is more room in it than most modern machines

12. Sally Kahns says:

Thank you so much for the fan demo. When you do the quilting, do you do all the fan outlines first and then fill in the insides, or do you quilt one complete fan at a time?

Comments