Snow and a finish

Yesterday and into this morning it snowed….it snowed a lot.     15 inches of wet heavy snow.

A lot of digging out happened today (and sore arms and back from it .  I broke one snow shovel but fortunately had a backup 🙂

While I was shoveling snow I put a quilt in the wash.

I finished the quilting last night.   I did the majority of the quilting on the treadle machine.    I still find that one easiest to control the speed and stitch length on.   After I finished it and put it on the floor Teddy inspected it.

and gave it a sit test

It passed his inspection so this morning I did the binding.

Here it is after washing.

It finished at 68″ by 76″ after washing and drying.

I love the red back

Here are a few more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

More hand quilting tonight….pictures soon

Happy quilting

33 thoughts on “Snow and a finish

1. Isabella Hermit says:

Lovely quilting Tim, here in Melbourne Australia it’s 39c today so it was nice to see you snow pic

2. Sandra B says:

Awesome quilt!! And to think you did the quilting on a treadle machine….makes me want to get my old Franklin treadle machine running!!
    Cannot wait to see what you will be working on next!!
    By the way, that was a lot of snow!

3. Mary Whitaker says:

You took something nice and made it knock out. I just love the way your quilting transformed this project. I hope you don’t hurt yourself shoveling. We’re in GR and only had 10″ of snow and it broke branches off my maple tree 😦

sorry about your tree…..the snow did bend over my arborvitae trees but I knocked the snow off and the look like they will be ok ……I think my back is ok too…..will see how it feels tomorrow 😉

4. Cheri says:

Your quilt is beautiful, and it looks like Teddy agrees. What other machine did you use for the quilting besides your treadle?

I hope your back is recovering from all that shoveling!

I was working on the Montgomery ward machine that I got in the cabinet so I did a bit of the quilting on that….but the treadle is bigger so easier to get all that quilt in the throat

Bravo!
    Just say no to more winter!

6. Jenny M says:

Beautiful quilting! I just can’t imagine living with that much snow…from Melbourne, Down Under.

Always having lived with it it seems normal…..but it is sometimes hard to take …..I imagine it is like the heat there….it is something you expect but not always enjoy

7. adaisygarden says:

I love the back!! I think I’d have to take turns on which side to use as the “right side”. The snow looks beautiful but I remember well it’s not always fun.

8. Martha says:

I am so impressed at your ability to learn machine quilting so quickly, and the quilt looks wonderful with the red thread and the feathers.

9. Maureen says:

I love this – your quilting is amazing! I’m glad my sons shovel the snow for me.

10. Lorij says:

It’s beautiful. Both sides. Teddy sure approves. I certainly don’t envy the snow. I lived in Buffalo years ago and Lord knows I don’t care if I never live in snow again. It’s beautiful if you don’t have to shovel or drive in it. I hope you don’t get more before Easter. Then maybe this will be the last until NEXT WINTER. 😄
    Give Teddy a scratch behind the ear for me.

11. Francisca says:

Astonishing quilting!

12. katlorien says:

Wow, I love the photo of snow. I can feel the hush… It rarely snows that much in England but when it does, you know before you’ve opened your curtains, because of the blue light creeping in and the complete absence of normal sounds.

13. Tica says:

Beautiful!!

14. Ginney Camden says:

I really like this one! I love the look of new heavy snow but it sure is hard on the muscles!

15. Pam G. says:

Your quilt is so beautiful !!! And the snow?! Glad I flew out Tuesday.

16. Mary Ann says:

OK Tim, I can’t machine quilt period. You are so talented. Also saw your rose quilt today at Daytona. It was beautiful. Enjoyed seeing it up close.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )