It still isn’t out of my system

I had to start another quilt on the treadle.     I feel like I am getting the hang of it now.  I still am working on the hand quilting of the flannel quilt, but I can only do a few hours a day and my hands and shoulder have had it.  I usually do 6+ hours a day so I need to have some quilting to do that doesn’t use the hand quilting muscles and I am having fun with the treadle.

As you may know I have a ton of old quilt tops.    Some I bought because they struck me as very interesting but don’t really warrant all the time to hand quilt so they are good candidates for machine quilting .

This one is from the 60’s-70’s I imagine.     Synthetic fabrics, mixed with some cotton fabric and the yellow center is actually a small gingham check in rayon/acetate .

I think it is a pretty neat top but it is really off.   There isn’t a straight line in it and it will not lay flat ( and what a chore to try pressing it).    It is however proving to be fun to quilt.

I am using a rust/redish thread and doing a LOT of quilting.

The back is going to be pretty as well

Here are a few more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

It is nice to give new things a try and as much as I enjoy hand quilting I have found that I also enjoy machine quilting on my treadle machine.   ( I do tend to always prefer low tech)

My hands are rested so back to work on that hand quilting project

38 thoughts on “It still isn’t out of my system

1. Jill Stiger says:

Your legs must be getting a real workout!

2. Katherine says:

Oh Tim~
    Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow’s ear! Totally incredible — You have become a Master of FMQ almost overnight!

🙂 Im not sure about that….but practice sure has made it a lot better…..Not sure I’ll ever be able to do all those super accurate straight lines ans angels that many do because I really hate to measure!

3. Tari Allendorf says:

Love seeing your progress. The treadle machine intrigues me as I have one identical to yours. It works but needs TLC… In same condition I bought it 35 years ago. Have fun, looks great!

4. Angie says:

Hi Tim – I saw that you posted on the Mad for Treadles group on FB. There is another treadle quilting group on FB that might interest you – try Treadle Quilters for folks who actively sew and quilt with their treadles. I’m in awe of your FMQ treadle stitching!

5. Carolyn Black says:

I see a long arm in your future!

6. Oh my! Your fmq is amazing! The treadling must be very addictive. : )

7. Mrs. Plum says:

Wow,Tim! I can’t believe how good your machine quilting has become in a short amount of time. Good for you!

8. Ranchwife in Nebraska says:

I thought I smelled smoke today… :oD Nice work!

9. Leilani says:

Wow! That looks amazing!

10. Carolyn says:

That quilt reminds me of the Gee’s Bend quilts! Very “modern”-looking and free-spirited. Nice work.

11. JoZart says:

Great to see your innovation. The quilt is being transformed by you whilst your skills are being honed.

12. huggybears says:

What a difference the quilting stitches add to this simlpe pieced quilt-awesome transition ! Marga

13. susie Q says:

That simple quilt has some mighty fine feathers…..

Awesome as expected!

15. sandy says:

Oh Tim! I can relate so much to you. I started out as exclusively a hand quilter. I tried machine quilting, and it was much like trying to chew gum and skip at the same time. It does my heart good to see you being so successful at your machine quilting. Maybe there’s hope for me?

I am sure the is hope…..it just takes practice…..I think that what worked best for me is using tops that i was not so concerned that I would ruin…….then I could overlook the little mistakes and look at the big picture

16. You are amazing! Gorgeous!!

17. Pam G. says:

This is INCREDIBLE!!! So beautiful.

18. What a learning curve! Your work is really beautiful!

19. Future Sarah says:

Complicated! This is a real challenge!

Comments