Project updates

A few days ago I posted about this cabinet.

I am in the process of converting it to a base for treadle sewing machines …… I cut out the center section  and took off the doors.   I want to store extra machines in it , but it is nice to see them so the doors are gone.  I cut down the height as well…..so it is a better working height

The next step is to paint it.    I am doing a fake wood grain painting on it.   The first step is to paint it yellow.

I used a color called “summer squash”    the yellow will not finish yellow but will be covered with a stain and some will show through to make the grain.

After the yellow is dry I go over it with gel stain.   I am using Brazilian Rosewood

and here is how it looks on the cabinet ends

Once this part is dry I’ll add the top and the treadle mechanism.

I finished hand quilting the Flannel quilt.     I washed it and hung it to dry.    If it were mine I would put it in the dryer but since I didn’t make the top or select the batting I am not sure whether it would shrink or not so to be safe I washed on gentle cycle and cold water and hang to dry

I love how it turned out!

click pictures to enlarge

I finished my machine quilting project on the treadle machine.    I hung it over the sofa….and it looks pretty nice.    finished size is variable because of the wonky piecing but it is about 72″ square….some places it is a bit larger.

Click pictures to enlarge

Teddy had a trip to the groomer and got a green bandanna

44 thoughts on “Project updates

1. Laura Gottlieb says:

Wow! The cabinet ends look terrific and so does your completed quilt. You are so talented in so many ways!

2. kemosabaycampground says:

Love the quilts. Cabinet is amazing.

3. Barbara Rasch says:

The cabinet is awesome. You quilts are just beautiful. As I said before you are so talented in all that you have show
    Tell Teddy hi.

4. Marilyn says:

I enjoyed seeing the rainbow quilt. Looks great! I have never stained before. What purpose does the yellow paint serve? Teddy is so handsome in that green bandanna!

5. huggybears says:

Dear Tim ! Any secret for your corner of your space how to make a 24 hours day last a little longer ?? Incredible how much work you get done within this short amount of time we all can have 😀 Love your painting job and the quilt is beyong being just AWWWW !! Marga

6. huggybears says:

P.S. The Baptist Fan pattern in quilting will allways be my *Tim made it * pattern. Marga

7. Lyn says:

I like the wonky one with the intense quilting. Did you ever see Gees Bend quilts? That wonky guy reminds me of those except the quilters did not do the intense quilting. But the shapes and colors and wonky flavor are all there. If you haven’t seen this collection, google them. You’ll love their work…

8. Ann says:

Love Teddy’s bandanna, wearin’ o’the green! 🙂 Everybody’s Irish in March. I am so impressed with the faux grain paint job. It looks AMAZING.

I also love the rainbow quilt, so pretty.

9. glendajean says:

Oh Tim I did not think you could surprise me more than you normally do but you sure have today, that cabinet is stunning, what a gloriouse colour you are ending up with, what a lesson you are giving us on “What if?” Im completely blown away, thanks so much for sharing your skills with us all. Love the flannel quilt, it may be one of the biggest hand quitting challenges but OHHHH how stunning and how lovely and warm it will be. teddy you look extra spruce this morning? Cheers Glenda Australia.

10. Lou says:

Hi Tim, you seem to get more work done in two days than I get done in weeks. The quilt looks wonderful as does Teddy.

11. Martyne says:

Hi Tim, once again, “oh my!” Beautiful. Thank you for teaching us and sharing.

12. Marci says:

Unbelievable! Half way through this post I saw the yellow furniture you were going to stain to make look like wood grain and I thought,”Tim’s in over his head this time.”. But then I scrolled a bit further and my jaw dropped. Had you done much of this before? Really nice!

I have done it on a few doors and woodwork…..rather than striping paint and sanding and staining…..I have found the yellow base coat works best, the first few I did a more brown base but that didn’t give the same depth to the finish….the gel stain is sort of translucent so the yellow shows through some and makes the grain look……It is also best to use a somewhat coarse natural bristle brush to apply the stain because that also adds the grain look

13. joandstella says:

Furniture, quilts and Teddy all beautiful! Well done, Tim!

14. All I can say is WOW! And Teddy looks so cute, too. It’s time for Rosie to have a trip to the groomers, too!

15. Pam G. says:

Is there anything you can’t do?! WoW indeed…. The quilts are awesome, the cabinet project is beyond words, and then wrap it up with sweet Teddy – doesn’t get any better. Please let us know if you are ever on any home tours. I would definitely fly back to Michigan just for that (and visit my family of course).

16. Cheri Dawn says:

I cannot believe the transformation of that dresser! It’s going to be so beautiful as well as functional. How did you trim down the bottom of it without it ending up all wonky? The flannel quilt is wonderful. The quilting really shows up. And Teddy is all ready for St. Pat’s. Cute!

17. Ginney Camden says:

Who knew that painting something yellow could produce that wonderful finish once you were through??? It’s beautiful. It seems that you know how to do everything. I love the quilt. When I saw pics before I didn’t zone in on the fact that it was flannel. it turned out beautifully!

Thanks…..I am happy with how it turned out, I made the fans pretty large because I felt it would be too busy if I did them smaller…all those colors seemed to call for simplicity

18. Jes says:

You are one talented gentleman, Tim! I am always inspired by your ingenuity! One question about you flannel quilt…I can’t tell for sure but it looks like when you marked your BF pattern you marked diagonally from one corner across to the opposite corner . Is that so, or did you just mark your pattern horizontally across the long edge of the quilt?

19. Patty Gal says:

Teddy is ready for Spring. He looks pretty spiffy. Love your cabinet and the quilt.

20. I am in wonder! You are amazing.

21. LizA. says:

I love the cabinet. I’m interested in how you achieved the woodgrain look? Did you use any special tools?

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )