Treadle Cabinet

I am nearly finished with the treadle cabinet.

I started with this.

I cut it apart and then painted the 2 ends yellow as a base coat

did a coat of gel stain

today I added the treadle mechanism.   I found that on eBay.   Here is the picture from the eBay listing.

treadel base

When I cut the cabinet apart I added solid wood to the inside edges.    I screwed the treadle into that wood on the cabinets.    (4 screws, one on each corner of the Iron mechanism.

Then I added the top.    I also bought that from eBay.

treadle top

Here it is all together

The stain is still not fully dry so it Will be a few days before I can finish it.    I will add a coat of shellac when the stain is dry and then put the hardware back on and store the extra machines in the lower parts of the cabinet and the drawers will hold things like extra feet, tools, extra belts, oil etc.

58 thoughts on “Treadle Cabinet

1. Cheri Dawn says:

I’m kind of blown away by what you did to transform those disparate parts into a gorgeous sewing cabinet – with storage. A job beautifully done. Congratulations!

thanks 🙂 I spent a lot of time looking at the ugly white cabinet before I decided what to do with it ….I am really glad I didn’t get rid of it now

2. I have one of these machines I was about to send off to another land (thrift store.) I think i am going to get it all oiled up and it is in great shape then make me some type of storage. Mine is in its case already. So adding something to it is just what it needs. I never have sewn on one. It was my father in laws mothers. I have my mother in laws mothers and made a table out of it.

3. Rose in Vt says:

Wow, Tim! Wonderful job. Can I hire you? 🙂

4. Sharron Evans says:

That turned out fabulous!

5. Bernie says:

Swell! What a great cabinet. You are amazing

6. Mrs. Plum says:

You have terrific imagination, Tim!

7. Patsie Blanchette says:

Beautiful job! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad

8. Jan says:

Very impressive Tim what a great idea to use that bedroom cabinet. If you ever think of coming to NZ I have a spare room…. Lol.

9. Angie says:

What an amazing idea! Beautiful work!

10. Susan Steele says:

Great job! You did that Memphis proud! Interesting that you used yellow as your base…any particular reason?? I like the idea of being able to store other heads in the base units. I especially like those little “pod” feet on the corners! Now you’ll need a Lotus, and a Redeye, and a 115 Tiffany (my fav…a great strong rotary that looks like a 15 but is better IMHO)..all will fit in your hole! Show us again when you get her lac’d up and ready to roll!
    Susan in VA (who only has about ten more weeks of school…yippee!)

the yellow base coat is what created the grain look…..ads the variation to the color….the base shows though the stain and yellow makes for more a wood grain look than does white or brown ….orange is also a good base coat…depends on the wood color you are going for

11. You sure don’t let any grass grow under your feet when you decide to do something!

12. Moya wise says:

Teddy must be over the moon to have his own beautiful machine.I bet he cannot wait to get started on his next quilt !😘 To teddy

13. nellie1951 says:

hi Tim i,m enjoying seeing your work and what you doing with the new treadle sewing machine, i never knew how this worked on putting it altogether ,i love your idea smart man you rock Tim

14. huggybears says:

Is there anything around sewing and maschines and cabinets you cannot manage to become beautiful ?? Really handy man you are Tim-wish you were my neigbor !! This cabinet turned out so wonderful !! The painting job is fabulous !
    Marga

15. Pam G. says:

I am Speechless!!!! What an amazing project you created, executed and succeeded. As someone already mentioned – can I hire you?

16. Lesley says:

Do you need a wife? I could certainly do with a husband with your skills!

17. Louise says:

Wow! That is amazing! I was not impressed when I saw the original cabinet but you have done a great job! Love how it turned out.

18. Bertha Mallard says:

When, no, DO you sleep??? Great job. Looks like and heirloom piece of furniture to me.

19. Marla says:

This cabinet is stunning! Your machines will be so happy living in it.

20. Lesley says:

Do you need a wife? I need a husband with some proper diy skills

21. civilwarlady says:

You are a wizard at re-finishing and re-purposing. Amazing work!

22. Martha says:

So far I’ve discovered Tim the quilter, designer, gardener, woodworker & all-around handyman, Your creativity boggles, and I’m sure there are more talents to be revealed. Reading your blog is both inspiring and humbling.

23. Barbara Rasch says:

Cabinet is beautiful. You certainly do great work with everything you do.

24. So clever, Tim. It looks great.

25. Caron Mosey says:

Wow, it looks great!!!

26. Wow–great job, Tim! I love re-purposing things. This is perfect.

27. Gretchen McClain says:

You are so good at being a visionary! I love what you’ve done with the cabinet and your treadle quilting is breathtaking! Thanks so much for sharing your work. I read everything you email!

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )