This and That

I got the finish coat of shellac on the cabinet and put new pulls on the drawers.

There are 4 vintage machines in the base …. they have motors but I will be able to use them on the treadle.  The drawers are for extra belts, tools, etc.

I have been doing the hand embroidery for this top.

This is an old picture so I am further along than this…..it is getting close to being done.     I am thinking now about what backing fabric to use and what hand quilting design will be best to go with the fabric and the design…it is not going to be a simple pattern 😉

It is raining today…all the snow is gone…..Teddy keeps looking at me and asking me to make it stop.

He decided not to have an after dinner walk…..will see how long he can hold out

I decided to try out the new treadle base on one of my old , but not too great, quilt tops.    This spool top is from the 70’s/80’s The tan fabric is a poly blend and pretty thick.   The piecing is really poorly done…..and it really isn’t flat …It was not worth taking apart and remaking but it still will be a cute quilt to hang in the studio.

I tried quilting on the singer in the new cabinet…..It needs some adjusting….it keeps skipping stitches…..So I switched back to the Free Treadle

DSCN9231 DSCN9229 DSCN9228

Then I put the Montgomery Ward machine in the new cabinet and did some on that, then an old Dressmaker, then a Singer 66, and then back to the Free. They all work fine…..but I have the Free adjusted just right for tension and for the free motion foot …..I need to work on the other machines more to get them set just right for free motion.

I have almost 1/2 of it finished.

I am planning the next “real” quilt.     I am going to quilt this top.

I have the fabric for the backing (purple) and 4 different colors of thread ( purple, green, orange, rust)    I have to decide on the pattern and do a bunch of marking and buy batting…..probable wool for this one.

I got the Teddy quilt started.   I have the drawing done

60″ wide about 48″ long……next step is to paint it….then I might add a border….then I can quilt it.

17 thoughts on “This and That

1. Angela says:

Arf, arf, arf, I am exhausted! 🙂

2. Cheri Dawn says:

That spool quilt is going to be so fun once it’s quilted. Love the wood grain of the spools themselves and the lines of thread! When you switch to a machine that still has the motor attached, do you take the motor off or just the belt? Looking forward to seeing how you quilt the snowflake top.

I take off the motor…..it comes off easily….just once screw under the wheel…..I should try it once with the motor still on …..that might be even easier

3. susie Q says:

I have never seen spool blocks so BIG… interesting. You have far more patience than me to switch out machines in a quilting project! If I get the thread switched out I am on a roll. Interesting concept to see which machine will do best what you want.

4. Terry says:

You are so amazing and talented. The cabinet looks fantastic.

I have a question for you. Do you wash the quilt tops that you purchase before quilting them? I have two old lonestar quilts (can’t remember where I bought them or how much I paid ( most likely I bought them at separate garage sales and didn’t pay much for either one). Don’t know how old they are, but I’ve had them for several years (at least 20 years). I use them as is for decorating and they have permanent homes over an armchair.

One is red and white solid fabrics and the other is multi-colored print fabrics in yellow, pink, red, and blue with a shirting fabric in setting blocks and borders. Both are hand-stitched with the multicolored one having the borders attached by machine. Both lay flat (especially in the center). I’m cautious about the red and white bleeding – however, the fabrics used are nice and firm. The multicolored one has fabrics that are not as sturdy with a stiffer feeling. It also has a slight musty smell. Both are bed size and my dream is to handquilt them someday. This dream is mostly inspired from the hand quilting I see you do on old quilts.

Didn’t mean to go on and on. Would appreciate any comments you have to offer. Regards to Teddy.

Terry in So. Calif.

I always quilt before washing…..old tops can really disintegrate in the wash even strong fabrics….because of all the raw edges…the quilting encased all the raw edges and adds strength to the top. If all the spots don’t come out I don’t worry about that…I think of them as age and character marks……If I am afraid of fabrics bleeding I wash them anyway…..because I want to be able to use the quilt and that means they need to be clean. If you add a few Tablespoons of Dawn dishwashing liquid (the blue kind) to the wash along with your detergent it will help prevent the stray dye from bleeding into other fabrics……wash on gentle cycle and then dry right away in the dryer……if they stay wet for long the dyes can still wick into other fabrics

5. Lorij says:

Wow Tim, you sure have been busy. I thought I had a lot of irons in the fire but you make my flame seem to be just a flicker 😄. When the weather is rainy or snowy that’s a great time to get a lot done inside. I can feel Teddy’s concern about the rain. We’ve had rain for nearly a week. It has been very, very, very welcome in light of the drought that California has been experiencing. I’m praying that the rain that’s come will help the drought situation quite a bit.
    Give Teddy a little petting for me😊.
    Happy sewing

6. Sandy Guild says:

Do you use a pattern for your painting or is it free hand?

7. audrey says:

What a great quilt! I can see you’re enjoying the different machines and your new cabinet is wonderful. You’re going to be flying through the quilts now with all this machine quilting!

8. Donna K says:

Congrats on your big win at AQS Lancaster Best use of Color.
    Wow, wow, wow!
    I was excited at seeing your name as a winner. Way to go Tim.
    That will lift your spirits!

9. Mary Ann says:

Me too. Was really glad to see that quilt in person at Daytona. You are so productive and do such good work. Keep up the good work.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )