Exciting news

I entered my quilt in the AQS show in Lancaster.

mac

Yesterday I learned that it won the award for best use of color.

580339_982530161828264_6911162754838719293_n

Such exciting news!    All the color in the quilt came from the hand quilting stitches themselves using perle cotton thread.

DSCN6224 (2)

The overall look of the color in the quilt is somewhat subdued…almost as if I used pastels but the threads are actually quite intense in color.

I finished the spool quilt.

DSCN9263 DSCN9264

I am really pleased with the finish…..but it was a challenge because of all the off piecing.

I got yet another vintage machine and put it in the new treadle base to test it out today.

DSCN9266 DSCN9265

It works great!    I didn’t take the motor off , I still might want to use that some time and it works in the treadle without taking off the motor.

I am in the process of marking a top for quilting ( my least favorite thing to do) and I will post some about that next time.

96 thoughts on “Exciting news

1. Cathie King says:

Congratulations Tim, an honor well deserved😄

2. lilquilter says:

OMG – Tim – congratulations! so happy for you! I am bummed that I can’t go to the show this year so won’t be able to see your quilt “in person”. Have fun with your “new” machine! Keep on quilting – I love seeing your creations. As ever, thank you for sharing your work with your fans!

3. Congratulations! Well deserved award. Thanks for all the inspiration!

4. katechiconi says:

Congratulations! It’s an innovative and beautiful quilt and deserves its ribbon.

5. Scarlett says:

Congratulations! You deserve it! It is a lovely quilt

6. anngenaske says:

Yes! Congratulations! I was hoping that piece came home with a well deserved ribbon!

7. Ann says:

I am SO pleased for you, Tim! Congratulations!

Crocus and Hellebores out here now. Just in time for the nor’easter predicted on Monday!

Thanks! I have a few crocus and a little clump of Eranthis blooming today……lots of things emerging…..fingers crossed for both of our gardens that the weather doesn’t get too bad! Met a lady at a lecture I gave last night who was in one of our ols satruday morning gardener centerpiece classes 🙂

8. Rose in Vt says:

Congrats Tim, that is exciting news.

9. Granny June says:

I enjoy your news letter. I would like a treadle machine. I so wonder what happened to our old family one from out on the farm.

10. Cathie Lanier says:

Congrats on your award , Tim! You earned it!

11. Marla says:

Congratulations on your well-deserved award! I enjoyed seeing this quilt when it was in Phoenix, and I’m happy that you received this honor for your lovely stitching.

12. Isabella Hermit says:

Congratulations Tim well deserved

13. Louise C says:

Congratulations for the great work! You deserve all the best, Tim!

14. glendajean says:

You and your quilt truly deserve that ribbon Tim. It still is my favourite quilt of yours, to me it spells romance, love, family, and most of all hope. Cheers Glenda

15. Carol says:

Thank you for the close up of the quilt. It is a work of art. Only an artist in his field could come up with your ideas. Your work is beautiful.
    Keep posting, your work is enjoyed. Congratulations

16. One of my favorite quilts!!
    and whats this with all the new ( old) sewing machines??

Thanks….
      OLd sewing machines feel better on old quilts…..and they have each got their own personality ……and are so inexpensive…..I can pay less for an old machine that for a vintage quilt top

17. Debbie says:

Congratulations on your ribbon. It’s a beautiful quilt. Fantastic!

18. Ann in PA says:

I was there yesterday and saw your beautiful award winning quilt. I am so happy for you. Congratulations!

19. susie Q says:

Purple ribbon is indeed exciting!! Another machine…..I guess you are putting the new house to great use.

20. Sandi says:

Congratulations!!!

21. Cheri says:

Congratulations on your award! I just love the technique you used and want to try it someday. I’m going to guess that you have a wall of ribbons somewhere in your studio. 😊

What’s the model of your new machine? It looks like a solid workhorse.

22. Mardee Dowdy says:

Congratulations! I love the finished rose quilt. Have also enjoyed the posts about all the old machines. Glad to know you aren’t the least obsessed- but a man of many accomplished skills you are!

23. joandstella says:

Congrats Tim!
    For Granny June, there us a big Treadle Machine group on Facebook that someone might be able to help her find what she is looking for.
    Jp

24. Mrs. Plum says:

Tim, congratulations on your win in Lancaster. I have to say, that is one of my favorites of your quilts. Now, about your sewing machine obsession…..

25. Cris Salmon says:

Congratulations on your win! I look forward to your posts. Enjoy everything you do.

26. Sandra Henderson says:

Congratulations! Well deserved recognition.

27. Robbie Payne says:

Congrats!!!! It’s a fantastic piece of work!!!!

28. Lindsay says:

Again, congratulations. I’m glad you have been officially recognized for the rose quilt. Also, I love the way you rescued the spool quilt.

29. Martha Caterino says:

Loved that quilt from the beginning…Congratulations!!

30. Katherine says:

Congratulations on your well deserved recognition! Hope that beautiful ribbon comes with a treat for you as well. I continue to be just in awe of your machine quilting skills– looks like you spent one day as a “beginner” and immediately jumped to “advanced”. The spool quilting design is just wonderful – perfect for the quilt. Totally amazing
    BTW — please tell Teddy his St Patrick’s Day look is outstanding

31. Martha says:

Congrats, Tim! — It’s a well-deserved recognition of a completely original and innovative design. Also, the machine quilting on your spool quilt looks wonderful. And finally, you are killing me with all these cool old machines, and how you manage to make them functional. I’m attracted to old machines at times, but also intimidated because they are often in pretty rough shape.

I like those in rough shape…..but I enjoy tinkering with them and taking them apart…..that can be scary ….but I figure that if I can’t fix them I didn’t lose much since I pay so little for them

32. Heather J says:

Congratulations! What wonderful news!n

33. Denise W says:

Kudus to you, on your sense of style and color.

34. Suzette Shoulders says:

Tim, I am delighted that judges would recognize the beauty of your Mackintosh Roses piece! Well-done, you! Do you have a spot decided on to hang it? And how about that 70’s spool quilt? Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow’s ear, you did it! Your blog is such an inspiration. Do you ever sleep?? suzette in Oregon

I have a spot where I had it hung before it went off to the shows……I think it might go back there for at least a bit…….I think the spool quilt goes over the sewing machine

35. Michelle says:

Congratulations! It is a well deserved honor! It looks like your newest vsm is a badged Montgomery Ward. I have one as well. The motor is a powerhouse for a belt machine. Sadly, my motor wiring had serious issues (suspect it spent way too many years stored up in a blistering hot then freezing cold storage area) & has given up the ghost. Hadn’t thought about treadling it. Aren’t vintage machines awesome?! So nice to have machines one can actually maintain & that were built to last & look gorgeous. 😊

36. Ginney Camden says:

Your spool quilt looks great. All that quilting really got rid of those wrinkles!

37. Becky in VA says:

Congratulations – well deserved for your beautiful stitching. I’m a hand quilter and you’ve got me interested in thinking about free-motion quilting on my gorgeous 19948 Singer treadle (no motor). I wish I knew how you rigged up the pressure foot – I read your post, but don’t know how to do it. Perhaps you could market your idea and someone could produce it for those of us with treadles. Oh, my all-time favorite is my 301 – what a jewel that is and I’ve been sewing on it since I was a child, the year it was new.
    Thanks for always sharing your work with us.

38. nellie1951 says:

congratulations Tim you worked hard for your award

39. Allison Boucher says:

Question: Would you please take a photo of your needle threaded with pearl cotton thread? I tried, and it was so hard to push the big needle through the three layers. Any tips?
    Congrats on your award. I always enjoy your posts, and feel like I share your successes with you.
    Allison

40. Linda in N.C. says:

Congratulations on the win with your wonderful piece! Your work is inspirational — as are your machine acquisitions! I haven’t succumbed yet to anything beyond a couple of Featherweights, but I know if you keep posting the old lovelies you buy, someday I will go in search of my own at the antique malls. I am interested in how you translate a motorized machine into a treadle machine.

almost any motorized machine that runs with a belt will fit into a treadle base and work…..it is fun to run on foot power 🙂 I haven’t bought a featherweight because they are so very expensive………I can get several old odd machines for the price of a featherweight……..they are great machines for sure! but they got so popular that they now cost a small fortune ….some day I’ll come across a deal on one

41. Andrea says:

Congratulations on the win; it truly is a beautiful quilt!

42. banksia says:

Congratulations!! Tim,well deserved ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )