can you believe it? …..another machine

About a month ago I looked at a Wheeler and Wilson Treadle machine at a local antique mall……it was $110 and I thought it was a great deal but I ended up buying a Singer 201-2 and a Montgomery Ward in a cabinet. Neither worked but  I worked on them and they work great now and both together only cost 50 dollars.     Yesterday Bonnie Hunter , who is here in Lansing with the Capital City Quilt Guild, posted a picture of that treadle machine on Facebook.  Some of the people from the guild had taken her to the antique mall and she saw the machine.   Last night I told her I almost bought it a month ago and she told me it was on sale for 55 dollars…….I went and bought it today 🙂

It was missing 2 drawers….I found one that fit at the mall……I’ll find another some day.     The Wheeler and Wilson D9 was launched in 1887 and was destined to become the company’s most successful domestic. Driven by an efficient rotary hook, there is a tightness to the engineering that makes for very smooth operation.

In 1905, the Wheeler and Wilson Co. was taken over by Singer. The D9 was well-established in the market and Singer wasn’t going to turn down sales, so production was switched to Singers Elizabethport factory, the center of Singer’s domestic production. The company re-branded the machine as the Singer 9W1. With its square arm pillar and W&W styling, the 9W had never looked quite at home in Singer’s catalog and by the 1920s, once the Singer 101 rotary had established itself, the 9W7 was phased out.

It threads from right to left and uses a 127×1 (9W1) needle which are no longer made so I will be looking for some old stock needles for this machine.    The bobbins are also odd sized and I only have the one that came with the machine so I will be on the lookout for those as well.

An unusual feature of the thread path on this is the tiny pulley on the face plate that forms a secondary tension device.  That feature was later used on cloned (and licensed) versions and  became common on several of Singer’s Bridgeport industrials.

It sews beautifully (after a good cleaning and oiling) and the treadle base is great.     I do plan to use it when I get a few extra needles and bobbins.     For now I took the head out and put in a Singer 127 (I had to do a little modification of the base, but the old machine will still fit back in when I am ready)

I started another machine quilting project with it.

I had planned to do a different quilt but when I looked at the thread I bought I realized that It just didn’t go well with he fabric so I started this one instead.

I got the backing fabric for my rose applique quilt today and I will be basting that soon for hand quilting……more on that soon

44 thoughts on “can you believe it? …..another machine

1. huggybears says:

So lucky you found a *dealer* so well known as a fabriholic AND lover for old but worth to use sewing maschines like you are and shared this news with you ❤ So very happy for you -Delightfull stitching along !!
    Marga

2. Rose in Vt says:

Tim you are too funny! I’m glad you are enjoying the machines, and
    we’re learning too.

3. Suzette Shoulders says:

I think you might have sewing machine -itis… the need to own every older machine made! I love it that you make them sew like new. Show a photo of the bobbin and needles, in case one of us has something in an old box of antiques? thanks! Suzette

4. quiltville says:

I am so ready to head back home and get some treadling time in myself. There is a front porch with a beautiful view of the Blue Ridge Mountains calling my name!

5. Nor Forguson says:

You got yourself a bug that is very hard to shake! 😉 Awesome deal all in all!

6. Gai Haines says:

Congratulations, I love old machine to, but if you live in my house, you have to work. I’ve got no engineering skills, so I do admire yours. Keep up the good work,it’s a bit like recueing animals, isn’t it?

7. Jaydee Price says:

What a deal and good job in saving another old girl from the trash of time.

OMG , you can open a museum in no time! Charge admission for a tour and buy more machines! 🙂

9. Ginney Camden says:

I love the quilting design you put in that green section!

10. Laurie W says:

The first step to recovery, is to admit you have a problem. . .;) My daughter and I love old machines too.

11. Cheri says:

Yes, I can believe you bought another! They are so hard to pass up – solidly built, easy to maintain, nearly indestructible, and full of history. Once you get started, it’s a slippery slope and a good one. Have fun!

12. Granny June says:

Good for you Tim !

13. Lindsay says:

The W & W looks like it has a roomy harp space.

14. Martha says:

What a wonderful find — I love the shape of this machine. You are fortunate to have an entire lovely house for your studio. I have my daughter’s childhood bedroom, but it barely accommodates my 3 machines. I am envious!

Well Tim, you need to be careful — you’re going to end up with more treadle machines than quilt tops. And since you perform physical therapy with mechanical sewing machines to get them back into shape, do you repair electric machines as well? Maybe give them a stern stare until they decide to fix themselves? Andrew would also like to know if you repair clocks. Of course, they don’t quilt, so I told him I doubt it. But we do have one that could use a stern Tim Latimer talking to.

LOL…….well actually I have a few clocks that need attention myself……but those I am afraid to do too much with ……..I have to take mine in to a jewelry store down town that does clock repair

16. Pat Brown says:

I also have a W & W 9. Mine was my grandmother’s & is currently being worked on by an expert (I’d never be able to get it working). All the decals are missing but we’re talking about having him repaint it back to an original black. Your post was very exciting for me to see that there is at least one other W & W out there. Thanks for all your info on it.

Cool! my decals are about gone too……but the black paint is still good…..but finding bobbins is tough …..I ordered some needles that might work….when they come I’ll test them and if they work I’ll do a post about it

17. I found you today on facebook via Bonnie Hunter, and I am so glad I did. I have enjoyed reading through some of your recent posts and seeing your wonderful quilting and machines. I sew on a Singer 201 most days, but I, too, have a few more. 😉

18. Becky in VA says:

I sew enjoy your blog. You know, you may have to buy the next house next door if you keep buying all these machines. Thanks again for the information about me getting a short-shank foot so I can give a try at machine quilting with my 1948 treadle Singer.

Have a wonderful day.

19. Nice machine. We have a get together, of vintage machine collectors, in Battle Creek in June.

20. Wendy says:

Lucky for you on your find. I checked to see if I had any extra needles that size and I don’t. So I asked Henry, my go to parts Guy, he said there was an easy fix, replace the needle bar with a longer one. He has done this with other older machines. Wishing you the best with your new machine. Wendy

….not that easy to find the right bar length/width that fits and will also correctly line up with the timing on the bobbin case and hit the right spot so the hook takes up the thread without messing up the bobbin case…..but the real isue is not the overall length of the needle it is the spacing of the eye…..the distance from point to eye has to be exact……and the grove and scarf of the needle needs to be right….I found a possible modern replacement….will post about how it works after it is delivered

21. Darlene Reid says:

I love al the news about your antique sewing machine finds and your work to get them running and useful to you.
    Darlene Reid