Fun stuff in the mail

Today I got some fun stuff in the mail.

AQS sent me my ribbon.

I am sure the wrinkles will hang out.

I also got yet another vintage sewing machine.    This one is a Singer 206D.   Made at the Singer factory in Wittenberge, Prussia  After 1939 sewing machine production was limited when most of the factory was allocated to military production during the Second World War.

At the end of the war Wittenberge found itself in the Eastern section of Germany under Russian control and the machinery had been removed from the Wittenberge factory and taken to Russia as war reparations.

Between 1904 and 1943 a total of approx. 6.5 million Singer sewing machines were produced by the Wittenberge factory. Besides various industrial models, the factory produced 15D, 201D and 206D domestic models.

Serial number records are gone so it is hard to date the machine but s far as I can find they were made between 1934 and 1943.

It is Singers first go at a zig zag machine ….or as they were called at the time swing needle.

It is super heavy

DSCN9333 DSCN9328

The motor busted off in shipping which is a bummer but I think I should be able to replace it or repair it …..I’ll try it in the treadle but it is an odd machine in that it needs to be tipped back to change the bobbin so it would be a bit of a pain to have to take the belt off every time.

the oiling points are marked oel

DSCN9331 DSCN9330

I need to adjust the stitch width/needle position lever

It has a darning plate to cover the feed dogs and some extra feet

DSCN9341 DSCN9340

It is a fun machine……and I look forward to sewing on it.

I got a lot more done on my green star quilt

DSCN9311DSCN9314

I went crazy so I had to order another spool of thread.

I am nearly done with the rose applique top

I got a backing for it and washed it a few times to make it as soft and shrunk as the top

Hand quilting can start soon.

It has been raining but I made a quick visit to the garden……the Trillium I planted in the fall are coming up

DSCN9334 DSCN9335

and the Allium

and bleeding heart

then the rain picked up so I had to stop….but lots more growing.

Teddy stayed inside

He hates to get wet

smart dog

18 thoughts on “Fun stuff in the mail

1. Kathy says:

You can iron the wrinkles out!

2. Karen Gallagher says:

Congrats, on your award, well deserved. Your new machine is quite the thing, I did’t know zigzag has been around so long.

it is the oldest zig zag i have in my collection …..they first were available in commercial machines even earlier….singer was a great marketer but never advanced in design…..the European makers developed the new ideas and singer followed …this machine is based on the Pfaff 130 ( I think Singer bought their patent to make this model….they look almost identical

3. oh my! I am impressed. I recently purchased a treadle machine. A New Williams, I have not opened it up as my health has been a bit uppity and downsome. Now I need to open it and the cable is stuck or my strength fails me. Original cabinet. I wonder can a small generator/ collector be rigged to the mechanism. I daydream sometimes of getting off the grid. But I like the radio. Also did you know the treadle machine is still manufactured but mostly for the third world. I looked at a few priced about 2,000 dollars then. 20 years ago. Industrial cabinet not fancy like the old ones. I don’t really quilt. I just put fabric colours together in stitched together sandwiches, call it patchwork and a quilt. Really just a warm blanket. I made a “new” doll pattern patchwork . Sewed a few and I.m told you can throw it clothes and all in the washer and into the dryer. Not even the hair falls out. Takes weeks to hand knot each strand of wool. I was obsessed by the possibility of a one piece body and head and a middle seam free face.
    Your quilts are amazing.Congratulations on the ribbon. And more.

They still make them for the Amish as well……Janome makes a new modern machine that fits into treadle cabinets…..and they sell many to the Amish who dont use electricity….But I like the old machines because I enjoy the old technology and working on them

4. Marla says:

I really like your quilting design on the green star qult.

5. Lorij says:

I truly love treadle machines and, as soon as I am able, I am going to be buying one. I’ve been looking. I want a Singer like the one I grew up sewing on. It was bought new between 1916 and 1920. When my mother married grandmother gave that one to her. In 1956/57 as a child I learned to sew on it. Mother has passed away and the machine has disappeared. But my memory has not. One of the Singer machines you have bought is exactly like the one that we owned. The cabinet had a drawer in the middle that held thread and 3 drawers on either side. It looked like the wood was oak. It was a beautiful thing. It had additional feet and 2 extra bobbins that were long and fit in a metal bobbin casing. You put it in underneath and closed a metal covering over it.
    I remember Mother replacing the belt several times. It was made of leather. It was the most wonderful thing to sew on and, it was fun. I’m so glad for you to be acquiring your machines and having such fun d with them.
    Give Teddy a snuggle for me 😊

sounds like it was a Singer model 27…..they are great machines and can still be found……but they often do need some work because people have stored them in less than perfect conditions…like in a barn…and they get rusty

6. darlynn says:

congratulation Tim! you are deserving of the purple ribbon. Happy Easter.

7. Becky in VA says:

Congrats again on the beautiful ribbon – and acquiring yet another Singer! You are a great mechanic!

Sweet! But Tim, you are on your way to fulfilling my prediction that you will have as many sewing machines as quilt tops, which will be fine as long as you can buy several more houses on your street to incorporate into Quiltopia.

I know….it is so hard to pass up a good deal on a machine that I dont have yet……I draw the line at repeats! but there are so many that just look so cool! the 206 is in pieces right now……the stitch positioning lever was not working so it wouldnt center…….and one thing leads to another and it required an order for a new part….so it it waiting to be reassembled ….but I did get the motor fixed……used a really good epoxy ……I guess that the fixing is the real fun part so I dont buy any that are in great shape…just like the quilt tops I like to find those that need me

Comments