roses

I am nearing the end on the embroidery of the rose applique quilt top.     I can’t believe how long it has taken and how much thread I have used!

I worked on another sewing machine today.  This is a Montgomery Ward Signature Series.    I am not sure of the date yet but I guess it is early 60’s.   It came in a carrying case that is really gross.

It smells like a very musty basement and all the fabric is coming off but it is fairly solid so I might recover it .    To work on it I put it in an old cabinet I have.     It is easier for me to have it in a cabinet while I work on it .   It really was rusty and needed a good cleaning to get it to function.  I took it apart a bit to get to all the parts.

There is some rust residue on the bottom that didn’t come off but doesn’t really cause any functional problems.

It takes a 15 class bobbin and a standard 15×1 needle and basic low shank feet.   It does basic zigzag and it has the ability to do decorative stitching with cams……I have no cams for it. Where do the all go?    So many vintage machines are missing all of the accessories that came with them….do people really throw away all the extra feet and cams and bobbins and just keep the machine?   Anyway I’ll keep my eye out for a set of cams they are sort of strange as cams go sort of flat discs that snap on to the top of the machine ….if you look at the top of the machine  in the picture you can see there is a cam there ( just a straight stitch cam)

It sews great now that it is all cleaned up….so I decided to give it a go in the treadle.

It works great.    The one thing about treadle machines is that I miss the light but in many of the vintage motorized machines there is a separate plug for the light so I can still plug in the light and use the treadle rather than the motor.   I leave the motor on and just take off the belt to use it in the treadle that way I can easily make it back into a motorized machine by just putting the belt back on.

I have a plan for a new quilt top and I think I will do it on this machine but for now I have to get back to that rose embroidery

21 thoughts on “roses

You’re nearing the edge! LOL! 🙂

2. Nancy says:

Oh oh – another machine. Bonnie Hunter is getting some competition! Good thing you are in different parts of the country. 🙂 I am always on the lookout here too. BTW – loved the pic of your weeping cherry tree last post! Just lovely.

I think it is a trend because vintage machines are getting to be more and more money lately……I have been looking on eBay and they are asking big bucks for some less than great machines….I enjoy working on them so I prefer them sort of in tough shape …. So far I have been able to get them all working

3. I gave away the Kenmore with cams and accessoreis to Good Will that I bought in 1964 when I moved to the island 12 years ago because this present house has 3 sewing machines already in it that had belonged to my MIL But it is easy for all that stuff to get separated because the carrying case did not have a special compartment for all the extras.

I’m looking for a kenmore with cams ….my mom still has hers …there are lots of them out there but I am waiting for a really good deal 🙂 ….

I can see how that could happen….if the parts don’t fit in the box they could get lost ….to look at eBay they have tons of cams for sale and most often no idea what machine they go with so they must find them separate from the machines

4. Pam G says:

You are amazing! I wish I knew how to work on fixing up old machines. I saw an old Singer in an antique shop a couple of weeks ago for $65. Almost got it, but know I wouldn’t be able to fix it. The rose quilt is looking just lovely!

5. Mrs. Plum says:

Love, love, love the rose quilt!!!

6. Nerida Duncan says:

Funny how things go. I put my first ever machine out for collection, a singer I bought new in the 70’s,. Here if you want to dispose of something leave it on the footpath for a few weeks and someone will take your treasure. away If not then you have to take it to the rubbish tip yourself and pay tipping fees. Thing is I had held on to the manual and accessories, feet, cams etc. Some years later a young lady in an FB group I was in had been gifted her mothers old singer, same model but without the accessories. Well I dug mine out and posted them too her, glad they were going to a good home.

And have to say I regret having put the singer out in the first place now. What I bought to replace it just does not do the job anywhere near as well.

7. nellie1951 says:

hi Tim and Teddy, i;m learning alot from you about sewing on a treadle .i never knew that you can put any portable sewing machine on a treadle cabinet and use it from the cabinet ,wow live and learn thank you for lesson.

If the machine has a separate mounted motor it can go in a treadle….a lot of machines had an internal motor and they wont work on the treadle because they dont have a belt drive

8. Carolyn Harness says:

You are so talented, to be able to make prize-winning quilts, fix and repair old machines, and creative beautiful gardens! Do you repair machines for other people too? (I’m too far away but was just wondering).

So far just for me……most people have machines that are so complex that i would not know how to start….but the old machines are all metal and no computer and those I can figure out by just looking at it for a while

9. Jill says:

My very first machine was purchased at Montgomery Wards around 1966. Your post brought back so many memories of learning to sew.

10. Barbara Rasch says:

Your rose quilt is beautiful. Can’t believe you find all these sewing machines. Best part is you know how to repair them, besides being able to make use of them.. Waiting to see your yard for this year.. say hi to Teddy.

Comments