Piecing

I got a bit of piecing done on the new sewing machine……starting with strip sets

DSCN9573DSCN9575

and then adding some striped fabric

It makes a big block….16″….but I think the quilt will be pretty cool.

I got a fun vintage quilt top in the mail from a friend

It is going to be really great once I take it apart to individual blocks and put it back together…mistakes in the placement of the blocks are easy to make

I often leave mistakes as they are but this one will be an easy fix and I’ll post more about that when I do it .

Teddy tested it ….but he knew something was a bit off.

As you may have noticed I have been accumulating a lot of sewing machines.     I have been thinking about dong some built-in shelving to display them.    I started to add up the time it would take me to build them and more importantly the cost to do it like I want and I decided that I could live with something temporary for a while.  So I bought a few shelves.

This one has 10 machines on it and there are 4 machines in treadle bases and 4 in desks and 2 more in cases …so the total is 20..   I have another shelf to put together when the collection grows more.

I’ll post some more about the new top as soon as I get a few more blocks finished so I can show the secondary pattern.

Teddy says HI

30 thoughts on “Piecing

1. Not says:

Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!😑 Building you retirement plan huh? 😃

2. Liz in Calgary says:

Teddy is sure cute! The quilt reminds me of a Lovers Knot Quilt.

3. Karen Friedrichs says:

I really like the new quilt you just received and am looking forward to seeing how you fix it. Pictures of Teddy crack me up. He could be a twin to my Eli whom I have em’d you about.

4. Jane says:

Teddy has seen so many of your good quilts, he knows straight away when something is not right. Your new pieced block looks fantastic.

5. Rose in Vt says:

Can’t wait to see how you fix the top. It looks like an ambitious layout, so easy to see how the maker could get off kilter. I did manage to get the treadle out yesterday and cleaned up. Do NOT have the foot motion down yet, I keep having to grab the wheel to keep it moving. And does it make two stitches per movement of the treadle? I need to adjust the belt before going further.

6. Pam G says:

I like the quilt! Can’t wait to see it done. And your machines! I’m telling my husband how many you have so he won’t think I have that many (10). Sure wish I would have gotten that old Singer I saw a couple weeks ago. Maybe it’ll still be there. Hi back to Teddy!

7. Kathleen Schumacher says:

Just yesterday I was thinking how I’d love to see your collection of refurbished machines, Tim! Very cool.

8. Mary Ann says:

I am so glad someone else loves old machines. I just told my sewing machine man I’d buy an old singer from him yesterday. He wants to make sure it runs fast. The decals are amazing. I’m looking at number 27 now. Mary Ann

9. Mary Ann says:

No fast–first!! My iPad thinks too much.
    Mary Ann

10. Becky in VA says:

Love your new block and in my mind your recently acquired machines have really been adding up, so it is nice to see them displayed. I always enjoy your blog and Sir Teddy.

11. Barbara Rasch says:

Quilt block looks great. I enjoyed your display of machines. My best to Teddy.c

12. Annette Johnston says:

OK, Tim, now I don’the feel badly at all having 5 machines, lol. Love the block! Will look forward to seeing how you’ll quilt that one. Back to hand quilting for now….

13. I have the same Viking machine. It was my college graduation gift from my parents in 1979, the machine had previously been used in high school home ec classes. It still runs great, however my quilt piecing skills improved immensely when I switched to piecing on my vintage Singers. My 201-A is my “go-to” machine. I recently discovered that my Viking is my best machine for free-motion quilting. I just found your blog today I will be a follower. I am an intmittant blogger and admire folks who keep it up regularly. Thank-you

I bought the viking because I thought it would be good for free motion……I havent tried it yet but good to know that you like it for that. My go to for piecing is my 301, Ill have to try out the 201 for that ….I have had it for a while now and haven’t got a chance to try it for piecing

14. infopubs says:

20 machines! Wow, that’s impressive. I have that same cordless iron and really like it. Do you have multiple irons, too?

I just referred someone on instagram over here to look at how you machine wash and dry your vintage quilts. No one believes me when I say I followed your example on a 100 year old quilt with excellent results! Old quilts and old machines are tougher and longer lasting than we expect them to be…

-Louise

15. Cindy says:

There is store in downtown Seattle that displays hundreds of machines in the windows. It is incredible display. But do not know name of store…
    sorry.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )