More rose quilting

I have been working on the rose quilt.   Here are a few pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

Teddy is helping hold it down

I am getting close to the end on the Hex tripe with Peppered cotton fabric.

DSCN9782 DSCN9781

This turned into a bigger project than I had planned….but it is looking pretty good.

I bought a White rotary sewing machine from eBay.    It came in a bent wood carrying case which was broken in shipping.

It also had a motor which was held together with electrical tape.   I took off the motor (I’ll work on repairing that later) and put the machine on one of my treadle bases.

white machine had the top clamping presser foot and there is no free motion presser foot that will fit.   I took out the presser bar and changed it with a singer presser bar so I could use a free motion foot on it.

Here is a picture of the presser bar I took out and on the right is a side clamping Singer foot so you can see the difference.

The new presser bar makes the feet fit but not all of them will work.     The distance between needle bar and presser bar is greater in a white than a singer so I had to try a few different feet to find one that would work.

This was the one that did the trick

and here is a bit of testing

DSCN9778 DSCN9777 DSCN9776

It works great!

Back to hand quilting for now

18 thoughts on “More rose quilting

1. You are an amazing innovator! Thank you for sharing your inspirations and innovations, Tim! (Such a help to me, to be sure. Wish I was mechanical like you!)

Billie Ann

2. Susie Q says:

Wish I could quilt the way you “test” pieces turn out!! You have far more patience than I.

3. katechiconi says:

Another machine! What a very good thing you now have all the extra space to house your growing museum collection. Where’s your new reader resource page, to pass on some of the amazing knowledge you have of how to repair and get these old lovelies purring again?

4. Carline Anthony says:

I wish I had you near as I struggle with a hand crank and featherweight. You accomplish so much I can’t believe it. YOU are a machine! Thanks for sharing

5. Watching you work on your Rose Quilt is like watching an artist! Each stitch is a stroke of your brush! Absolutely stunning quilt!!

6. Cassie Wilkins says:

I love reading your blog’s Tim. And your work is fabulous!

7. Linda Garcia says:

When you say a “bent wood top” , do you mean the part that went over the top of the machine is curved? I can just barely see it behind the machine in the first picture. It looks similar to the top of the Singer that I inherited from my mother. She called it a “coffin top”. I think because it looks like a miniature coffin. All your old machines are amazing. I wish I had your sewing machine mechanical knowledge. Thanks for sharing all these very interesting sewing machines.

8. Anne B says:

Thank you so much for this detail! I have been researching treadle models as I would like to do FMQ on a vintage machine. I stumbled across your YouTube video of FMQ on a White Rotary and could not figure out how you got a quilting foot for one, as that didn’t fit with my research. Now I know! I greatly admire the rotary machines, but being on a very minimal budget, I am not sure if I will find one I can afford. (BTW, born and bred in central MI, so an extra reason to love your blog. Have been trapped in SoCal for almost 20 years, but love to hear from home.)
    If you have a post comparing your thoughts on different models of vintage machines I would love to be directed that way.
    I started quilting in 80s with hand piecing and quilting, but time is shorter now, and treadle quilting seems an excellent compromise to me! Thank you again!

I dont have a post about the comparison of machines yet….but I do plan on adding some information about that some time soon 🙂 happy quilting!

• Anne B says:

Oh Tim! What have you gotten me into!? I found a lovely White Family Rotary when I went on a thrift shopping excursion. I finally got it to rotate freely by taking off the faceplate. I can see that it was a treadle that has a motor added, so now I haunt craigslist and eBay looking for a treadle base within my budget. And I have notions coming in a steady stream from eBay! A shopping venue that I had never before considered for sewing supplies!
        I started reading through your blog postings from the beginning and watching your videos. It is spooky how you post answers to questions I don’t dare ask (couldn’t I FMQ without a presser foot on my FR? What about embroidery? Does the different bobbin orientation on the 15 series machine vs. the singer 66 offer an advantage in free motion performance? And on, and on…)
        Now I also find myself looking at vintage quilt tops. OH NO!!
        Thank you for the cornucopia of information in your blog posts. Seriously, I am deeply appreciative.

Thanks you!!!! I am so glad to hear that it has been helpful 🙂

Comments