A few days ago I posted pictures of the new White treadle machine I bought
When I went to pick it up the seller told me he had another machine if I was interested. He wanted 20 dollars and I said yes…even before I saw it.
It is a Singer 127. The serial number is G0542560 so that dates it to Dec 18 1923.
There were 35,000 of them in that batch. So it is NOT a rare machine.
It had been stored in the basement of an old house and it was pretty frozen up but I knew it would be an easy fix. Here it is before any work.
The motor and foot pedal in the case didn’t belong to that machine so I am unsure how they got there.
First I took it out of the old case and looked at the underside.
It really isn’t bad, no rust so it just needs a good cleaning to get the solidified oil off and get it moving .
I use WD-40 for that. I spray it all over all the moving parts and let it sit. That dissolves all the old gunk and then I can scrub it off.
I took off all the easily removable parts.
Those I put in a pan and spray with WD-40 and let them sit while I work on the machine
I also spray WD-40 into the holes where the cover plates were
After it has a few hours to sit I start to scrub. I use an old toothbrush
That got the gunk off ….I don’t try to make it perfect and shiny new….just cleaner and freely moving.
I also spray the body of the machine to wipe it down
this takes off a lot of old dried oil and crud. I don’t want to scrub to hard or the decals will wear off. After a good wipe-down with WD-40 I used sewing machine oil and use my fingers and rub it into the machine to loosen any dirt without damaging the decals.
This machine was missing the needle clamp and one of the bobbin covert plates so I had to replace those (eBay to the rescue) Then I make sure to wipe it down well to get out any residual WD-40 in the moving parts and oil it well.
I got it all put back together and tested it out. I did the quilting on the pink hexagon with it.
It sure runs great. And it looks pretty 🙂
It was a beautiful day today so I did a bit of garden work…..so much more to do!
Rain is in the forecast so I plan to do hand quilting the next few days….pictures soon