Roses!

This is the time of the year when my roses really start to bloom.   Last year many of them were transplanted but they all made it through the winter and are blooming.    Here are some pictures of them today…and a few of the garden (click pictures to enlarge)

I finished the Peppered cotton and stripes quilt ….here are a few pictures of that

And I started to work on a new quilt.   This was an old top…..not antique, but old, and was not great.   The piecing is not good, none of the points really line up right and there is a lot of pleating and puckering but something about it made me buy it years ago.    I decided that it would be a good candidate to use as a test of my Singer 15
I did a few videos of the work on that ….the video quality of the first is not great but you can get a good idea of how I started it …..the second one is much better

here is the quilt front and back…..I should be able to finish it tomorrow.

DSCN0185 DSCN0183

This is Teddy telling me it is time to stop playing on the computer

14 thoughts on “Roses!

1. Mrs. Plum says:

Teddy really DOES look like he telling you to pay attention to him! Thanks for the rose photos. I especially like the dark coral one. Your quilts look great. Just one question–do you ever sleep? You are SO productive!

2. naomiz5 says:

I’ve seen that look . . .

Amazing job on the quilt!

4. Your roses are gorgeous and the peppered cotton quilt looks great. Nice job on the quilting! Thanks for the videos, too!

5. I don’t know what it is about old quilt tops that speak to me. Some of them people have them given to me because they are too wonky for them to figure out what to do with. Some of them I have purchased on Ebay because they were to strange or common for others to be interested in. That is why, I originally was drawn to your blog and read it from beginning to end. Keep up the good work! Now if I can just get that machine quilting thing down pat….. Practice, practice, practice…. Sue

🙂 vintage and unusual is what made me want to quilt as well. it is a lot of fun to save an old top that others thought was not worth the effort……they are perfect in their imperfection

I can see very well by that Tumbling Blocks whispered you into buying it years ago. I wouldn’t say the use of color is non-traditional (color wheel-wise, but I’m the amateur here) but it is unusual and compelling. And boy, I can see the puckers from the non-enlarged photo. Bit of a beast.

Teddy’s adamant look is also clearly compelling, as in commanding. 🙂

it really is a mess……I have unpacked it with the thought of quilting it several times and them always put it away again because I really would need to take it apart and start over and it just seemed so daunting …….It is working out ok this way….and I think once it is washed it will be fine ….but it is hard to stitch over those puckers! cringe inducing

7. Warm Quilts says:

Two great videos. I didn’t find the thump, thump of the treadle distracting; it just kept a steady rhythm as you were quilting. I like the idea of practicing on an old quilt top. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )