Back to Hand quilting on the frame

I always have several quilts going at one time.    I have had one in my grace floor frame forever!    I decided that it needs to get finished and make room for another.

It is a top from about 1900, and the quilting is a free form fan pattern, no attempt at all to make it uniform and regular, and it should go very fast.     The bonus is that there is a nice view out the window while I work on it.

DSCN0330 DSCN0329

I need to fill my bird feeders 😦

But I can see other wildlife out there

I did a video of the process of hand quilting it

A few garden pictures today
DSCN0324 DSCN0323

Happy quilting

16 thoughts on “Back to Hand quilting on the frame

1. The Botos Family says:

LOL!  Love that you say ‘absolutely no attempt’ when it comes to uniformity!  I still think it looks great–let’s call it ‘rustic’!

2. Linda Williams says:

Tim, thank you so much for sharing your hand quilting in a frame. I quilt that way too and am self taught. I however use the ‘stabbing’ method because I too could not master the rocking stitch. I love those old quilt tops too. Thank you for sharing, your quilts are always so beautiful and it does my heart good to know I quilt similarly.

3. katechiconi says:

Interesting to see that it’s not just me who has trouble with direction when hand quilting on a large frame.

4. judysew4th says:

I enjoyed your demonstration very much. Your ‘organic’ quilting is perfect for a vintage top. When I quilt on my floor frame, I do as much as I can in one direction and then move my chair to the other side of the frame. I would like to think of it as ‘ stretching my legs’….not quite exercise VBG….

5. Sandy A says:

Tim, will you be in Chattanooga in Sept? I will be. Hope to see you then. Love the clamshell pattern in the quilt. I used it once and loved it’s simplicity and the fact that you don’t have to draw it on the surface before quilting.

6. Jan Masenthin says:

I LOVE that quilt. I have a similar one but the rectangles alternate in a strippy setting. Fabrics are shirting samples, some still retaining a stamped number for ordering purposes. When I bought it, and excitedly pointed out the stamped numbers to the owner, she marked it down, apologizing that some child had probably played on it with a stamp and a stamp pad. I didn’t correct her. It’s also quilted in the Baptist Fan pattern, and it’s one of my very most favorites.

7. Glenda Busby says:

Tim, enjoy your blog. Is it “legal” to use crochet thread for big stitch and slow stitch? I think the size is 10. Is it weaker? Everyone always uses perle cotton. Thank you. (You must never sleep you accomplish so much.)

I have used it and it was such a nightmare! it is less expensive but it really is much different than perle cotton….it is weaker, and coarser and very hard to use….it tangles and is really hard to pull through the quilt.
      I did a full quilt with it and it took twice as long as normal and my hands really got sore from all the extra effort needed.

Comments