basting and embroidery

I used up the remainder of my fabric scraps ( and some new on the sides) to piece a backing.

Getting it basted

I’ll Start quilting tomorrow.

I spent a few minutes playing with one of my treadle machines.  I wanted to try embroidery.   It took a bit to get the tension set right and get a feel for it, and still have a way to go on that front.   This is nothing great, just some scribbles, but it was fun to play with and not bad for a test run.

DSCN0389DSCN0391

Back to hand quilting

Happy quilting

30 thoughts on “basting and embroidery

1. jean f says:

VERY NICE! be sure to tell us how you do this, please.

2. Lois says:

Okay, I’ll confess. When you were starting to put this together, I said to myself, “This is going to be one of Tim’s rare misses for me. This is not going to be an attractive quilt.” And now I love it! You have an incredible eye!

3. Ann Genaske says:

Well done! What kind of thread are you using for embroidery?

4. Becky in VA says:

You are so talented!

5. Annette J says:

Tim, its all about practice. Hey, if my MIL could do it after 1 afternoon, someone as clever as you are can certainly do it. Enjoy your learning curve. (Note:I didn’t say I could do it, lol)

yes everything is…….and the right tools…..I need to get some machine embroidery thread and a light weight bobbin thread, but not bad for a few minutes with what I had on hand

What in the world, are you a magician?

7. Sue Kaufman says:

I love an interesting patchwork that makes me look, then look, then look some more. Get closer and look even more. Great job Tim.

Goodness Tim, would you just cut it out?! Would you just stop being so bloody gifted, talented and hard working while making the flowers all bloom when you walk among them?! How do you think this makes the rest of us mere mortals feel?! Good thing you have Teddy to supervise you, to make sure you don’t get too big for your britches, because remember, it is all about him.

9. Ginney Camden says:

I am blown away by the embroidery. Please don’t tell me that you are just now learning to do it.

10. Great quilt & great start on free motion machine embroidery. It looks like you’re already a pro!

11. Pam G. says:

There’s nothing left to say – ditto on all the comments above. You are one amazing individual. And we are all so fortunate that you share your wisdom and get us inspired and motivated.

12. Janice says:

Can hardly wait to read your posts on the secret of how to machine embroider with a treadle machine! I am amazed! Your practice pieces look great, Tim!

13. I, like the commenters above am amazed by this new venture into machine embroidery on the treadle. I was always happy to just piece on my treadle and felt adventurous when I did a bit of straight line quilting!

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )