Treadle Embroidery

I made a short video of embroidery on a treadle.   I am NOT an expert.  I have done exactly one hooped piece of fabric , what you will see in the video is the complete total of all the embroidery I have ever done but I am posting it to show that it is something that you can do. I will do some more posts on it once I really learn to do it better but for now here is my beginning point.

Happy Stitching

31 thoughts on “Treadle Embroidery

1. Sylvia says:

Watch your fingers! ☺ When I started fmqing 30 years ago, I did it without a foot. That’s how it was done! I also used a hoop. People thought I was certifiable! Lol God love you doing it on a treadle!

OMG, too much like walking and chewing gum at the same time, no hope for me, I don’t think! 🙂 Nice job on what you’re doing, though!

3. lilquilter says:

Tim,
    Is there any way you can put a link on your website to all of your videos? Recently, in your emails, the videos do not show up (although the photos do), and if I don’t have time to watch the videos, I’d like to be able to find them easily on your website at a later time instead of saving the emails. I just tried searching for “video” on your site, and several posts came up, but the current one did not, which makes me think that maybe the search engine is looking at the titles of the posts, not the content. Thanks!

4. Barbara Rasch says:

You really have to know what your doing with making your leaves and etc. Equally as beautiful as you do. Amazes me. Hi to Teddy.

5. Carolyn Sands says:

Truly, it’s beautiful.

6. Anita says:

Impressive!!

7. Ginney Camden says:

Thanks for sharing that video Tim. It was fascinating!

8. Mary Nelson says:

Tim, you just brought back many fond memories of thread painting that I did in the 80’s. Takes practice but it is a consuming pass time. I don’t have a treadle but was doing on an older model of Brother from the 60’s. I found that when you hoop tightly that if you extend the inner (smaller) hoop about 1/8″ beyond the outer hoop, it stays tight and close to the bed of the machine. Thanks for all the inspiration, I will have to try this technique again. My Viking Embroidery Machine will be jealous, hahaha.
    Mary Nelson

9. Bea says:

Wow! You make it look so easy. It’s something I would really like to try.

10. You are an amazing teacher, Thank you for sharing with us.

11. Janice says:

Thank you soooo much for posting! I never would have guessed that an ordinary machine—let alone a treadle machine–could manage embroidery. If I understood you correctly, once the tension is properly adjusted, and feed dogs down,you sew as normal (with a hoop) free motion style, but can go over the same area several times to get that “chain stitch” embroidered look. I can’t wait to try this out. Ingenious! Thank you, Tim!

yes that is it….just normal stitching. how fast you move the hoop is going to determine the stitch length ….which is done on the larger size….and you want the speed to be about as slow as you can go …and have fun!

12. Michelle says:

I have a singer 201 which is similar to the singer 15 I think. I can drop the feed dogs on the 201. Can they be dropped on the 15? Thanks for the video. Your leaves and grapes are lovely.

13. Susie Q says:

I enjoyed watching you do this. The video adds so much information and is fun to watch. When you do this again, I would suggest taking the screw off the post… the one that would hold the foot if there was a foot. Amazing that from some angles that little screw hides much of what you are doing…… thanks for showing us all.

Comments