Antique Quilt Top

A new antique quilt top arrived today

Some close ups (click to enlarge)

I estimate that it was made about 1890.

I also took some garden pictures

And I also made a new book cover

and a video of doing the embroidery

And have a few of them for sale on my Etsy site

and Teddy says HI

23 thoughts on “Antique Quilt Top

1. Sue says:

I sure enjoy seeing the vintage tops you acquire. I have just a few myself and now that I’m retired hope to start tackling them. And I always enjoy the pictures of your garden. Not to mention the Teddy pictures. I don’t know if I could pick a favorite, but this one comes close – he seems to be looking at you with such love.

he really is a funny dog….lately he gets worried if I have the camera and he thinks I forgot to take his picture so he gets right up close and poses

2. Martyne says:

Stunning work from quilts to garden Tim. I have enjoyed many years of your artistic talents!

3. Martyne says:

Oh, and Teddy is the greatest!

4. Wow–love the top and the flowers!

5. Katherine says:

New top = WOW; garden = gorgeous; video = so informative—no wonder it almost looks like Teddy is smiling!

6. Janice says:

A beautiful top! I am no expert but don’t those fabrics look way too contemporary to be an “antique”? I never would have pegged that quilt top to be from the 1800’s.

no actually many are even older…..some as early as maybe 1870 ….but the newest is about 1890 ….after handling and collecting hundreds of old tops and reading a lot of fabric history I have a pretty good handle on dating old prints

7. That quilt top is wonderful, your garden looks amazing and the machine embroidery is unbelievable! Good thing you have the video as proof!😊

8. Nerida says:

Another great find Tim. Is that Lancaster blue? As ever the garden is gorgeous and looking wonderfully healthy. I am waiting for our 2nd snow storm in 20 years. Hugs to Teddy.

9. Donna Tyra says:

Love your new top! My favorite colors! Love to see it finished. Do you do book covers? My mother made me some years ago. Nothing like yours I use them when reading a book. If you do, will you sell them? Hi, to Teddy !

10. I thought you were not going to buy any more quilt tops!!!

11. Susan Steele says:

nice…love that plae yellow/grey combo…has a masculine touch…but I REALLY love dat doggie-face!
    Susan in VA