hand quilting

I have made some progress on the hand quilted scrappy quilt.   The top was made in about 1900 and was not well made at all.   the seams are all variable in size and it was not flat or square.   I am quilting it in a way that will go with the top…..wonky .   I have to admit that it is not all that easy for me to be intentionally wonky but I think the result fits well with the top.

DSCN0674 DSCN0673 DSCN0675

Teddy thinks I am crazy…I can tell by the look

I also did a few more books on my treadle …here they are front and back

DSCN0667DSCN0664DSCN0681DSCN0683

I’m planning to get the scrappy quilt finished this week.

31 thoughts on “hand quilting

Tim Latimer trying to go wonky; an image I enjoy. And another insane book cover. Do I discern you’re feeling a bit Celtic with some of them?

2. Rose says:

I don’t see any basting on the quilt. Is it working out okay without it?

3. Pat Meinecke says:

Your “wonky” quilting seems to be flattening it out very nicely.

4. Maureen says:

I love your book covers!

5. Moz says:

I love this quilt. One would never know it was “wonky”. The book covers are exquisite

6. Marilee says:

I think you should name your scrappy quilt “Winter’s Coming”-it is the color of winter and the quilting looks 100 years old and done by someone who didn’t have time or desire to slowly mark out the lines, but just thought, ‘winter’s comin’ and the kids will be cold without a quilt’!

7. Marilee has got the right answer for you and I love what you’re doing with that Scrappy quilt.

8. Irene vernon says:

Love to see all your work Tim and the videos you produce,keep them coming Vernie. UK

9. Ann says:

Love the scrappy quilt AND the book covers—they are awesome!

10. Carolyn Harness says:

I really like this wonky quilt – reminds me of the quilts of Gee’s Bend, which I also like. Perhaps more than one person worked on piecing this quilt, which accounts for the seam variation.
    Nice work on the book covers too.

hard to say…..It was machine pieced and I think the person who did it was just learning the machine….the tension was way off which I can tell by the stitches

11. lilquilter says:

Tim, those book covers are awesome. Question – what brand of variegated thread did you use on that last one? Thanks!

12. Pam G says:

I like wonky and you’re doing the quilt top justice! Marilee’s comment above is perfect. And those book covers are incredible. Inspector Teddy likes everything too.

13. Megan says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE your books…but the ‘old’ quilt really touches me. So beautiful!

14. Sandra says:

Hi Tim! I don’t have Internet ,( or satellite TV for that matter!) at home currently. I’m on a mission to save money… So, I don’t get to read your blog or comment as often. I do catch up now and then when in town at the coffee shop. Are you selling the book covers? I’ll go over to your etsy shop and look. Love, love, love your inspiring work. Keep up the great artistic endeavors.

15. Beautiful! I think Teddy approves.

Comments