Scrappy Wonky Quilt Finished

I finished up the hand quilting and binding on the scrappy 1900 quilt.

I left the edges wonky rather than trying to square it up and have to cut off a lot of fabric.    My goal with this was to make it look like it was all made by the same person. I imagined how the person who made the top might do the quilting and I figured they would be as unconcerned for uniformity in the quilting as they were in the piecing so the quilting is intentionally irregular.
Here are some more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

I made a video of how I did the binding. (Teddy makes an appearance)

And here are some more pictures of the garden today

19 thoughts on “Scrappy Wonky Quilt Finished

1. Cathie Lanier says:

Hi, Tim! I think it turned out great. I’m glad you left it wonky. I am sure that if it had finished back then, it would have been wavy. I don’t think I have seen that machine before or your videos.. I had to smile because I recognized it as the same machine that my mom had years ago which I had completely forgotten about. I couldn’t see the front and am not sure what brand it was. But, I know it was that same one, Tim, please tell me what kind it is. I would love to see the front of it sometime. Thanks for a great memory.

this machine is labeled “Classic” It is a Japanese made copy of the singer model 15 and they made a bunch of them ….they had a lot of different names depending on where they were sold……some will have a department store label, like Macy’s or Gimbles, some have other generic names like mine but they are all the same machine …they came in a lot of colors too over the years…….they will also almost always have a tag on the column that says Precision Deluxe made in Japan

• Cathie Lanier says:

Classic doesn’t sound familiar, but I can’t think what it might have been. But it looked so identical that it really brought back a memory of it. I really enjoy your videos, Tim, and have learned much from them. Thank you and Teddy!

2. Carolyn Harness says:

I think I like this quilt more than many of the more “perfect” ones! It looks like it would be warm and cosy to sleep under too. Reminds me of the quilts of Gee’s Bend, which I love.

I’m all in for wonky!

4. The quilt is great–& so is your garden. I wish you’d move into the house next door to us & make a beautiful garden there & get rid of all their weeds which keep coming into our yard! We smelled lilies tonight when we were walking Rosie. Took me awhile to figure out where that wonderful fragrance was coming from–they were back behind some pine trees! Made me think of you!

5. Jenny M says:

Love this quilt! Glad you left it wonky on the edges too. Your garden sure shows your care & attention.

6. Girl in the Stix says:

I like how your quilting reflects the entire nature of the quilt. Your gardens are beautiful!

7. laurie says:

This quilt is spectacular. My favorite by far!

8. Moz says:

What a lovely lesson on letting go. The quilt is fabulous. What magical fabrics and shapes it makes. Very inspiring, Tim. TY. Love your binding tips…so easy.

9. Sally says:

Hi! I truly love your posts and pics. You’ve helped me in the past and I’m hoping for advice again. I just finished my first try at fusible applique Pet pic quilt – the top – and I want to hand quilt it. I asked the hand quilter group on FB and many said you really can’t and one recommended you. Do you have any tips (needle, batting) to give it a go? It’s not thick or stiff. Thank you!

Comments