A Full Heart

I am really and truly overwhelmed with all the support you have all given me!  The hundreds of supportive comments from my post yesterday meant so much to me …  My heart is full and I thank you all!

Today I worked on the Teddy Quilt
I had most of the quilting done but had to finish up Teddy.
I needed to add some more shading  and I used crayons….which might seem really odd, but they actually used crayons for tinting quilts way back in the 40’s and they seem to have held up so I am using them here. (and then quilting over it heavily)

dscn1364 dscn1363 dscn1362
I added a lot of treadle quilting to it  after I got the shading done

dscn1365 dscn1367 dscn1366

here it is after quilting is nearly done

dscn1371 dscn1370 dscn1369 dscn1368

Next I will wash it (by machine on delicate) then lay it flat to dry, then trim it and square it, and last bind it.   I will use more of the gold silk dupioni fabric for the binding.

It is really pretty large , about 60 inches wide.
I am not sure that Teddy understands that it is him……
11864835_1028792360506973_268476866786847020_o

He really prefers the quilt in this picture because he is allowed to play rough with it ….

Happy Quilting!

96 thoughts on “A Full Heart

1. Pat says:

That Teddy is awfully CUTE! You made him look “real” on your quilt. Thanks for sharing so freely, Tim😬

2. huggybears says:

LOVE all you create Tim-and your extraordinary work with these old maschines is outstanding !! Teddy is a great model-yet he looks so innocent here-he is a star !! What a treasure you have-Teddy-and now this picture framed masterpiece ! Keep up your awesome quilts to come. Marga -and a hug to Teddy

3. Kathy says:

Fabulous Tim! I like the idea of treadle quilting and your examples are inspiring. I’m guessing that control is improved with treadling. I’ve always felt that the machine was going to run away on its own and I would have to grab the seam ripper!

4. You are such an inspiration! I follow you with hopes I could one day quilt. To me, you are an amazing artist! Beautiful Teddy! Love him too!

5. Carla says:

I am just amazed at your work Tim. Max is jealous he says Teddy is a very very lucky pup!

6. Marilyn says:

We, your fans, are thankful too! You are a breath of fresh air on the quilting scene with enthusiasm and unhesitating changes of direction with materials and constant bursts of untried paths and so much hard work. So very inspiring!

Wonderful Teddy quilt, he knows!

8. Cathie Lanier says:

Good job. It looks just like him !

9. Anne Kasten says:

Oh Tim
    I am so sorry to read what had knocked you off the blog for a bit. I had missed it and wondered where you were. I am SO glad you are back.

I think that we are in such stressful times and people are not always quite themselves and maybe say things they don’t mean. And I also think that the rate of change and the incomprehensible nature of it has really upset so many people. And then the notion that something like quilting would use new technology- well, my goodness!

I talk about you all the time to my sewing pals because you are such an artist and an innovator and yet at the same time you are so deeply connected to the art of working with fabric and thread. Your work is outstanding and innovative and accessible and fun and SO inspiring.

Please do not stop. Maybe you can filter somehow for the people who just want hand quilting, tell them you will make a separate post for them or something. Clearly you are on a real path of innovation and intense quality and artistry. You must not stop.

The portrait of Teddy is astonishing.

love from your fan forever in California
    anne

10. jean f says:

LOVE the new Teddy quilt!

11. Fabulous – the texture you’ve achieved for Teddy is amazing 🙂

12. Cheryl says:

In years past, we had three Miniature Scnauzers, Brannigan, Parker and Riley. Oh how I wish I had the talent to make them live on in such an artistic fashion. Love your creativity and love Teddy just because!

13. Susan says:

Your Teddy quilt is fantastic. Thanks so much for continuing to blog and inspire us with your work. You and Teddy are treasures!

14. Sharron Evans says:

Crayons: what a cool idea! It looks wonderful under the quilting. See, this is why we need you. I would never have thought of that without you!

15. joandstella says:

Yesterday I read your blog and was sorry you felt badly over comments. I didn’t write because you had sooo many letters. I had a Schnauzer too (Bitsy Marie) and just adore your portrait of Teddy! All those wonderful quilt colors against Teddy’s white coat,
    Best wishes, Jo McKnight and Stella the Lab/Spaniel.

16. Judy Regan says:

Tim, was sorry to hear what led you away from your blogging. I had been wondering where you were, when I found you on Facebook a couple of months ago still working your magic with fabric, thread, and your treadle sewing machine. 🙂 Your creativity and quilting is so inspiring! Thanks for all you share with us! Just know that we look forward to your posts and photos of your quilts, Teddy, and your gardens!! Do what gives you joy and fills your soul….life is short. Keep on stitching and treadling.

17. Emily says:

Negative comments are uncalled for, but people are rude! Whether they mean it or not! I’ve missed your posts. Your current teddy quilt is spectacular- the treadle fmq is totally beyond my ability and comprehension BUT I love seeing your adventures with it. It gives me impetus to keep on keeping on with my quilts, I have a basic electric singer and just knowing that you can create masterpieces with a small machine encourages me no end!

18. Sharon Ernst says:

Just incredible!! You are a very talented quilter! And Teddy is adoreable!

19. Joyce says:

You seem to have caught Teddy’s personality. Even though I’ve never met him I feel like I’ve gotten to know his spirit through your posts and pictures of him. You do amazing things with all your skills and innovation in whatever you attempt. Please don’t stop providing the inspiration to so many when some are negative – they shouldn’t ruin it for those of us who enjoy your art.

20. Tremendously awesome job you did on that quilt. Wish I could do half as well. thanks Tim.

21. Ginney Camden says:

Tim what did you use for the eyes and nose?

22. Lisa says:

To me, this quilt is sheer perfection.

23. pwest20 says:

Amazing! On the borders, do you mark, or is your eye that accurate?

24. Laurie W says:

Do you always wash before you bind your quilts instead of after? I’ve never done that, so I’d like to know your reasoning. Maybe I should be doing it too.

I did mark the border first…..
      on washing before binding….I dont always do that….but for a wall hanging I do…..this way I can get it really nice and square……while it is damp and I lay it out to dry I can stretch and tug to get all the edges even ……then after it is dry I trim and then bind…….If I bind first and then wash I tend to get some distortion in the wash and it is harder to get nice straight edges

25. Helenanne says:

Have you used crayon shading in other work? I’ve used it with embroidery and in some other quilt projects and have been Pleiades with how it’s held up over time after being heat set. Wondering what your experience has been with it.

this is the first time I have used it myself….but I think it will not be the last……this one is just going to be a wall hanging so I don’t worry about it washing out over time, but I have seen quilts from the 40’s where it is still holding strong………heat set is important I imagine…..

26. Linda says:

The way you have re-created Teddy with cloth is just amazing. The shading, the quilting, the glint in the eyes is hard for me to imagine how you accomplished that. Do you have an art background?

27. Karen Friedrichs says:

If you only knew how much Teddy looks like my Eli….

28. Mary says:

I love the border quilting. Did you mark it prior to mqing? Do you always wash the quilt before binding. That surprised me.

I did mark the border before quilting

I dont always do that with washing….but for a wall hanging I do…..this way I can get it really nice and square……while it is damp and I lay it out to dry I can stretch and tug to get all the edges even ……then after it is dry I trim and then bind…….If I bind first and then wash I tend to get some distortion in the wash and it is harder to get nice straight edges

29. Mrs. Plum says:

Crayons, huh? Do you use regular Crayola crayons? Did you heatset them? The result looks fabulous, though you do have an extraordinary subject matter. Are you planning on entering any of your recent quilts into shows? So glad you are back and growing in your art.

it is best to heat set them if you are planning on using the quilt….this is a wall hanging so I am not worried about them washing out (but I did wash it tonight and the crayons stayed in fine) I sent in an entry for the peacock quilt a week or so ago…and plan to enter a few more soon

30. Amie says:

Oh TEDDY!! As the mommy of ahem….SEVEN beagles your quilt made me cry. Yes CRY!! It is so wonderful and amazing and I can feel the love you and Teddy share in your coloring and stitches. Damn your gooood!! Kiss that babydog for me would you? 🙂

31. Heather says:

I have enjoyed your blog, and admired your work for some time–“Teddy” is another marvel. Hand or machine work, I hope you’ll continue to share your talent with us–it is sooooooo inspiring!

32. Love this quilt. It really shows Teddy’s personality and your amazing skills!

33. Carole S. says:

I’m one who’s guilty of enjoying all your posts and not commenting. I hate it when bloggers say they get discouraged by negative comments from readers. Those readers need to find someone else’s blog to read. They’re not paying the bills. You are, so you call the shots. The worse aspect of it is that I’ve seen the criticism totally stifle another person’s creativity. You have an amazing well of creativity, Tim, as you have so generously shared with us. Do what makes you happy. There will always be people out here who appreciate it, even though we’re silent about it.

I ADORE your Teddy quilt and the art and skill that have gone into it.

34. The Teddy quilt is beautiful!!! Perhaps some of the folks following you might have done so go because of your hand quilting and might be disappointed because you’ve started going in other directions. I have always followed you because of your passion for quilting, gardening and your love of Teddy. I love your courage to take and old quilt and “quilt it out”, making wonderful finished quilts. I love your ingenuity resurrecting old sewing machines, love the beautiful photos you share of your garden and of Sir Teddy. You are absolutely right, if it’s not fun, you shouldn’t do it. I do hope you continue to enjoy sharing your adventures on your blog. You are so inspiring!!

35. Lisa Mikel says:

Your Teddy quilt is adorable, as is Teddy. Your stitching really brings the quilt to life. Amazing, great work! I love it.

36. Meg Hannah says:

Tim, we’ve never met and unfortunately it’s pretty likely we never will, but your blog has nonetheless been a big source of inspiration and never fails to interest me—and I don’t want that to stop! I love seeing what interests you, what you take on next, and your way doing of things. People grow, interests expand or change—and those are very good things! For example, I’m now experimenting enthusiastically with machine quilting on my Singer 15-91 largely because of you (instead of mooning over those insanely expensive sitdown mid arms!). IMO, those who complain are superficial and not worth worrying about. Plus, I for one would not mind at all if you did something to “monetize” your blog. There are low key, responsible ways to add a little support so you can keep blogging without financial strain.

37. Darlynn Venne says:

Wondered where you had gone and hoped all was well. I am sincerely sorry for the comments that caused you pain. Whatever brings you joy, go for it! You are a gifted man (with a great dog). I look forward to whatever path life leads you down. Fondly, darlynn

38. Vicki W says:

This quilt is awesome!

39. I have never commented before but I so look forward to your posts. I’m in the UK and you bright light and happiness to my life. Thank you

40. Valerie Chapman-Stockwell says:

Such a lovely quilt for Teddy, the dapper dog! Your work is breathtaking, hand or machine, and I really admire all that you do. On another blog, a woman related that she was scolded by the quilt police because she machine-quilted– “can’t really call yourself a quilter if you don’t hand quilt.” How ludicrous! These self-appointed experts need to put a sock in it.

I’m glad you are blogging again, and sharing your work.

41. Barbara Rasch says:

Teddy quilt is absolutely wonderful.

42. Kathy b says:

Incredible work. Beautiful dog!

43. Beautiful quilt looks just like Teddy!

44. nellie1951 says:

Tim you sure know how to quilt and draw real good lefty have so much talent i,m also a lefty lol i can draw some but can,t quilt like you you’er real good, the picture of teddy is awesome,thank you for lets us see all the many steps it took on quilting Teddy quilt and on your treadle, i’ve learned so much from your tutorials well done Tim ,thank you ,you have yourself a good week and Hi to Teddy too bye for now. nellie

45. Tracey says:

Omg just made me bawl. My lil man Scout just passed unexpectedly on Oct 11th. He was only 7 yrs old. He was my baby boy, and my heart is shattered and broken. I wish I could do a quilt like this to always keep him close. It is truly magnificent. Hug your babies tight, because he had no signs of anything except some weight loss and within 2 weeks he was gone. I miss him so much!!!! 😦

46. ellyvision says:

Wow, what an amazing quilt! I love the detailing on Teddy and in the background, just lovely… I would love to see if we could feature your quilt in a future edition of the schnauzer club magazine in the UK, sure our readers would be interested… Please drop me an email… 😊

47. Nancy Henderson says:

Glad to see you’re back. I missed your posts.

Comments