Rainy Day

It has been raining all day today so it is very humid.    I washed the Teddy quilt last night and it is still not dry enough to do the binding.

dscn1375 dscn1375-2 dscn1374 dscn1373 dscn1372

It washed up nicely and it should be ready to bind tomorrow.     I didn’t explain why I wash before binding last time.     This quilt will be a wall hanging so it is important to me that it be square and have nice straight sides.    I needed to wash it so that the markings came out ( and some grease that got on the back from my treadle base) and sometimes machine washing can distort a quilt .   once the quilt was done in the washer I laid it out flat on the floor and smoothed it out and tugged and pulled the edges to make it as flat and square as I could get it ( I sometimes also use pins to hold it in place as it drys) after it is dry I can trim it and bind it and it will retain it nice flat shape and I find that I do a better binding job too.

Anyway it is taking a long time to dry because of the weather and because I used 2 layers of batting on it so I’ll do that tomorrow.

I made a new journal.  This one is leather.

dscn1379 dscn1378 dscn1377 dscn1376

I’ll be adding it for sale to my Etsy store soon https://www.etsy.com/shop/timquilts?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Quilting leather is a bit different than fabric but fun……I used a leather needle and a Treadle machine, I used a cotton fabric for the backing and a poly batting.   the deer skin is so soft and fun to work with , I will be making more.

I’m working away on the blue rose quilt tonight.
dscn1380

a few hours a day and it is over a year now ….some day it will be finished 🙂

56 thoughts on “Rainy Day

1. Patricia Hoffman says:

Love everything you do!

2. katechiconi says:

The deerskin cover is just beautiful. I bet you’d get loads of buyers if you made a bunch of small leather items: coin purses, pouches, etc. But maybe that’s just a big distraction from the important stuff…

3. Glenda johnstone says:

Dear Tim ,
    I “discovered” you recently and so love to see your work and your information. Now I am one of those 70 year old quilters who loves the whole quilting world. May I just say when I see your name I light up because I know I am going to love what you show and say and I am going to learn .
    Glenda

4. Linda says:

Wow, Tim, everything you do is amazing! Even though I will never be able to quilt to the level you do, you always inspire me 🙂

5. Lou says:

This quilt is beautiful as well as all the work you have shown us. Have a great day!

6. Susan says:

Your quilting is just stunning, Tim. What batting did you use in the Teddy quilt that you doubled. Loved your comment about one day finishing the blue rose quilt. I have a double wedding ring that I am quilting by hand, and i have been working on it on and off (mostly off) for 30 years…seriously, I started it in 1986 for my mother’s 60th birthday….I just turned 64, and my mother, now nearly 90, refers to it as her ‘laying out’ quilt….

the batting is “soft and Bright” from the warm company. I love that! laying out quilt……..I have a few that I started 5 or more years ago and I might borrow that title

• Josephine le Cheminant says:

I started an epic applique quilt a few years ago and said at the time I would be happy if I finished it to use on my nursing home bed. I have progressed quicker than I thought so I will get to enjoy it before I get to the nursing home stage of my life!
        I love your work.

Thanks…….happy quilting!!

7. Donna Tyra says:

The quilting in the border of “teddy” is beautiful. Oh, the whole thing is beautiful! Great job, Tim!

8. Ellie says:

Your wall hanging is precious! Where are you that it is so humid now?

9. Alison says:

So good to have different projects in the pipeline – depending on one’s mood etc. The leatherwork looks interesting.

10. adaisygarden says:

Beautiful work on the quilts and the journal! I can’t even imagine quilting leather!

The deerskin journal is amazing!!

12. averyclaire says:

So glad you are posting again…have missed you! Love that Teddy quilt, all your hand quilting AND machine quilting. Love those journals!

13. Joyce says:

I have followed you for two years, through some difficult times. I am so pleased to be reading you regularly again. Please, as my children used to say, don’t let the bed bugs bit! There are many of us who love to hear what is going on in your quilting life and with both Teddy and you. Peace, Joyce

14. Michelle says:

I’m just amazed at how you just started quilting with your treadle machine and mastered it beautifully!! I’ve tried machine quilting and my quilts always turn out crooked and lumpy. LOL So jealous that you can do both machine and hand quilting. I’m glad you’re posting again. I’ve missed seeing your spectacular quilts, garden updates and Teddy pics.

15. Mrs. Plum says:

I especially love your blue rose quilt, Tim, and I’m not a big fan of blue. It is beautifully soothing.

16. Nancy says:

Tim… how to you protect the open edges of the quilt when you wash before you bind? If I have missed that info, sorry for the repeat.

17. I can’t believe it’s been a year since you started the rose quilt! It really doesn’t seem like that long,LOL. Guess it depends on whether your watching or doing. It gets more beautiful with every progress update you post.

18. Jeanette says:

Love this Teddy quilt. Tim, I was so sad to read your post yesterday. We all love watching your progress and envy what you do. There are always some mean-hearted people out there. I know it can get you down, but there are many of us out here that love your posts and learn from you. Don’t give up, we will be very sad….

19. Dorothy says:

I so love you and all you do, and the fact that you are so willing to share it all with all of us. I LOVE Teddy’s quilt. I wish I had your determination and ability for machine quilting on a treadle no less. !!!!
    I am so happy that you are back to blogging and letting us into your world.

20. Teddy in cloth looks fabulous! When you wash your quilts before binding, do you use soap? Also how do you stabilize the edges? Do you roll the back over the the front and pin or baste to secure the batting?
    Thanks for your response!

yes I use soap because I am washing out the markings and any dirt that gets on the quilt while I am working on it ( like teddy foot prints 🙂 ) the edges dont really need any stabilizing…..with all that quilting they arent going anywhere….sometimes I zig zag the edges first if I think they might unravel too much , but I trim the edges anyway so not a problem

21. Ann says:

I am so pleased you’re blogging again. It’s awful that some sad miserable people think they have the right to dictate what you do. It’s none of their business!
    I am delighted that you received so many positive messages from those who appreciate your amazing work.
    I love to see the photos of both your hand and machine quilted work, as well as the photos you take in your garden. I live in Scotland UK and like to see what’s blooming in your garden and compare it with what’s growing in mine.
    A book with your quilts, both hand and machine quilted, plus pictures of your lovely garden (and Teddy of course) would be a joy to have.

Regards from a damp and misty Scotland. The autumn colours are beautiful though.

Ann

22. Lisa says:

I absolutely adore the quilting in the binding! So. Very. Nice!

23. Stunning work, Tim! Love it!

24. Mary Ann says:

Thank you for the explanation Tim. Do you baste the edges before you wash? So glad to have you back

25. Kathy Glisson says:

I saw your post on the Teddy quilt. You have amazing skill and talent.

26. Elizabeth White says:

Love the leather journal cover. Today at Houston’s Quilt Festival, there was a large display of leather quilts — wonderful images.

Comments