Starting a new one

I had an idea for a new quilt today and I had to start on it.    I am using brown craft paper to do a basic layout

dscn1395

I taped 2 widths together to make it wide enough.  The finished size will be 72 inches square.

I sketched out a design with a pencil and then went over it with a sharpie

dscn1397

This will be pieced……and the large areas of the pattern will be made up of many much smaller pieces…..I’ll post how I do that soon

49 thoughts on “Starting a new one

1. ellennorman says:

Just can’t wait to see what this will be! Always magnificent.

2. Carline says:

Wow, you are so creative. I think I need a brain transplant so I can function on a higher level. I can’t wait to see your progress

3. Glenda johnstone says:

So excited to watch you from the idea beginning !! Looking forward to following your creative process. You rock!!!

4. Sharon Ernst says:

Looks like it’ll be another beautiful quilt!

5. Stoney Monte says:

How exciting to be able to go from concept to pattern in the same day. Looking forward to this new creation~

6. Alison says:

Now you are sounding like the Tim we know and love!

7. Sandra Henderson says:

Wow! Love it!!!! You are smart to carpe diem when you get a flash of an idea .
    I tend to talk about ideas too Much- you act on it which is one reason you get so much done- I think .

That quilt pattern would look so beautiful in so many different colorways. That could be taken and used and you to have 1000 different quilts with one pattern. You could make a red white and blue one to commemorate the election. You could do it 30s you could do a totally screw happy with whatever. It just seems limitless to me. I can’t wait to see what you decide to do. Maybe it would be fun to have like a challenge. Sort of how Bonnie Hunter does her yearly thing where the pattern comes out. Maybe challenge people to take that pattern or another pattern and make it and post it and look at all the different ways it comes out. Just an idea. I would be game for sure

• Sandra Henderson says:

Sorry-
      Did voice to text n didn’t catch last mistake-
      Suppose to be totally scrappy
      sorry

I am really not a pattern person, I have done a few but I really prefer my quilts to by only mine ….my plan for this is pretty color specific but need to dig through my stash to see if I have what I need……it wont be long and you will see, but keeping it under wraps until I get it going

8. Isabella says:

Looking forward to this project Tim I love how you challenge yourself

9. katechiconi says:

Wow, you’re a brave man to take on all those curves and bias edges. I’m looking forward to seeing how you tackle that. It’s a great design, really dynamic and unusual.

10. Sandy says:

You are inspiration! Don’t leave us again.

11. Sharron Evans says:

Awww I see smoke billowing from your head! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

12. diane wingo says:

This is going to be very interesting. Can’t wait to see how you make this one. Oh and I love your Teddy quilt.

13. Kathi C Anderson says:

I love seeing the whole process too and can’t imagine how you’re going to piece this. Carry on!

14. jean f says:

looks like an exciting beginning! Careful it doesn’t look like the beginning of the Jimmy Stewart movie Vertigo! hehhehehehe! Color choice makes so much difference in how something will remind folks of something else.

15. Jackie B. says:

I’m so glad your back. I missed your blog and worried about you.Thank you for sharing all your beautiful quilts, gardens and vintage machines. I love seeing Teddy.

16. Lou says:

Boy those wheels are just spinning.

17. Phylis says:

Looks wonderful! Can’t wait to see the progress

18. Susan says:

Looking forward to seeing how you take flight with this quilt. And no matter what projects are already underway, isn’t it exciting to move forward on a new idea? You go, guy!
    Hugs to Teddy!

19. Mrs. Plum says:

I see elements of your two rose quilts, only this one is abstract. Can’t wait to see where this one goes.

20. Pam G says:

More inspiration from Tim! Excited to see next post.

21. Leilani says:

That is beautiful! I look forward to watching it all come together.

22. Vicki says:

I’m looking forward to seeing the process!

23. Neame says:

Thanks for sharing the process. This looks very art nouveau-y. Will be special.

Comments