Too many?

I have been rearranging my machines so I can use them easier.    I have 5 Treadles set up

dscn1402
dscn1407 dscn1406
and some machines that I switch out with those that are in the treadle bases now.

dscn1405 dscn1404
and an electric.

dscn1408
Also two more electrics in cabinets upstairs and another down here that I forgot to get pictures of.

So it that too many?

I use them all…..and it is so much fun to decide which one to use for the next project…..and I love to work on them, repair and rehab…..

I am always on the look out for one I don’t have yet

It is Fall here in Lansing And I really need to get some yard work done

dscn1410

Teddy has been enjoying the fall weather

dscn1409

He keeps busy sniffing the ground to see where the squirrels have been.

Time to get to work…….that new quilt is calling me

54 thoughts on “Too many?

1. Ginney says:

You have enough machines to host a quilt retreat at your house. Now you just need to get cabinets for all of them to make your retreat attenders happy. More shopping opportunities….

2. anngenaske says:

Ha! What would be the right number? That’s like asking what the correct number of quilts to work on at one time is! The answer is: whatever makes you happy! And your note sounds happy, Tim. Well done!

3. Barbara says:

Never are there too many machines! I only have 17, but I also switch from one to another because they are fun to use and easy to maintain myself.

17 is a pretty good collection for sure!

that is a big part of the attraction to me too……I never need to take them to a shop for maintenance …..so much better to be able to do it yourself

4. Sandra B says:

Too many? Absolutely not!! You have an amazing collection, and I think it is wonderful that they are in working order, thanks to your hard work….and that you use them!!
    And, here I am, with one treadle, and still haven’t gotten it going….of course, the fact that I haven’t started working on it contributes heavily to its non-working status! I will get to it one day, I promise!!
    Teddy looks like he is enjoying himself! Are his allergies better this time of year? Hope so!!

Teddy is still suffering from allergies……once all the leaves have fallen and we get a few really hard frosts he usually starts getting better so pretty soon I hope

5. Ellen Norman says:

Love your machines! Awesome! Love your videos.

6. Jill Buckalew says:

Too many machines? Too much fabric? Impossible for a quilter to achieve either of those.

7. Linda says:

Oh my, what a lovely bunch of machines! I’d love to see a post with more detail just about your machines – the brands, approximate ages, where you found/how you acquired, what you use primarily for, pros and cons of each, etc. I only have 5 machines, but I know how hard it is to pass one by 🙂

8. Gayle says:

So good to have new posts from you and sensing a return from that nasty time of discouragement. I love your work, I’m inspired by it and someday want to see it in person. My son had a quilt in the Colorado Manmade Show – I was so proud that he was in a show with the great Tim Latimer! I’m a MI native as well, so thanks for the fall pictures. Sometimes I miss it.

9. acromer2012 says:

To many? Never! I love them all. Although I don’t have as many as you, I use them all, too.

10. Susan says:

Too many machines? That’s like having too many M&Ms….impossible!!

11. Bernadine Villanueva says:

SWEET

12. Cindy says:

I think that’s so cool Tim. I only have one, but that works for me. I have no space for more really.

13. Glenda johnstone says:

You only have too many of anything IF you think you have too many. If they make you happy then your on the right track. You inspire me as I have a singer treadle that was completely refurbished, but I have never used it. I have kept it as a beautiful machine and cabinet in my home. It brings me joy. Maybe I will set down and try to learn to use it.

14. ellheath says:

Someone once asked me if I really needed another quilt. I asked, “I wonder if anyone ever asked Rembrandt if he really needed another painting.” The response: “Oh.” Just passing this along in case you ever need it. LOL

15. katechiconi says:

I feel as if I’m a bit under-equipped with just the one…!

16. Deb says:

Looking at all your beautiful machines, makes me happy! Great collection:)

You can never have
    too many, each one has their own purpose and personality! 🙂

18. Ruby Post says:

Love your machines Tim! I’m a collector too but doing some downsizing at this point in my life. I admire your free motion work on the treadle. Beautiful!

19. Suzette Shoulders says:

Tim, Your photos of your extensive sewing machine collection made me laugh out loud, first time since Tuesday evening! I was tickled to see the totality of them! I have 9, and never thought that was excessive. I am sure there are new old ones out there that need to be yours, too. Thanks for the laughter, in stitches, Suzette

20. Kathi C Anderson says:

Very nice collection! Im liking the looks of those vintage machines with the big harp space and small feet for making bags and my smaller craft projects besides doing a consistent 1/4″ seam. I’d be learning everything about them from scratch but maybe… 🙂

21. Cheryl says:

Oh bother! I thought when quilters spoke of their stash, they were referring to fabric, but it is sewing machines! I’ve been doing it wrong! Love our stash!

22. glendajean says:

Now we know why you bought next door LOL Glenda FNQ Australia

23. Lori says:

I live in the northwest, I should say Pacific northwest, but years ago I visited family friends in Lansing and it was late October at the time. The beautiful leaves and lovely blue skies are something I will always remember fondly. It was rather different than our mostly gray skies and what fun it was to jump in dry leaves ( ours are usually wet). It reminds of that trip every time you show your garden pictures. I am glad Teddy appreciates your garden too.

24. CD Thayer says:

Nice collection Tim, and bravo for having 5 treadles set up ready to sew. My wife and I have 8 treadles, 4 electric cabinets, and 1 industrial power stand set up in our home ready to sew. We turned our entire home into a sewing room back in 2010, and have a machine collection that totals 82, with 65 of them in our house. We have sewing machines in every room of our house except the kitchen, and that includes sewing machines in both bathrooms. There’s always room for one more…

CD in Oklahoma

25. Sue Kaufman says:

Nevah!!!

26. Bravo to you, Tim! Keep going!

27. civilwarlady says:

Tim, I am so glad you have resumed your blog. I missed reading about your adventures quilting, gardening, using your vintage machines, and sharing your fabulous sewing techniques. Oh, yes: and Teddy. Welcome back! BTW: I don’t think you can have too many vintage sewing machines. 😉

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )