The Start of the Christmas Season

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving visit with the family….Mom and Dad, aunt, sisters and brothers, sisters and brothers in law, nieces and nephews.    I always try to get a Tree decorated the day after Thanksgiving and that is my goal for Friday ( I’ll post some pictures when I get it done)…… I listened to Christmas music on the radio on the drive home tonight so I guess it is officially the start of the Christmas season.

I had planned to bring my Teddy quilt and peacock quilt to show the family but I forgot them …..so I am posting a few pictures of them again.   (so here they are family….and I will try to remember to bring them to show you on Christmas)

dscn1391 dscn1393

dscn1392

dscn1265dscn1264dscn1263dscn1262

The beginning of the Christmas Season reminds me of my favorite Christmas short story,”A Christmas Memory”.
I did a recording of me reading it.

If you are one who enjoys shopping I hope you find great deals on Black Friday!

If you are like me and stay home  happy decorating and quilting!

42 thoughts on “The Start of the Christmas Season

1. Ann says:

Wow, That peacock quilt is stunning!!that fabric is perfect for it.

I’ll be cooking and listening to carols tomorrow- no more Black Friday for me. But I hope everybody else has fun shopping!

2. Ginney Camden says:

Of all of my favorite quilts of yours this Teddy quilt is officially my favorite! Enjoy the Christmas season.

Happy Thanksgiving!

4. Ginney Camden says:

It was a treat to listen to this story being read. Thank you.

5. Sue says:

I like all of these quilts, but the Norman Rockwell one is special to me because I hand-quilted that one for my Mom, gone now 12 years. She loved Norman Rockwell and that quilt. I had my sons cut out paper snowflakes to use as quilt templates, and quilted their first initial in the center of each. And while I won’t be decorating my house tomorrow, I’ll be setting up my nativity collection in the display case at church. No room at home since I moved to a condo several years ago.

6. Lori East says:

Glad you had a good day! Yes, it’s time to start Christmas prep. I usually put our tree up right after Thanksgiving too, but this year I am going to indulge in some uninterrupted workroom time for a day or two. It’s been a long, long time and I am itchy! There are plenty of leftovers and I’m sure there is enough pie that I won’t starve.

No shopping for this girl. All those crowds make me kind of claustrophobic/crazy/hostile. I can do whatever shopping I need to online and be much more sane.

Enjoy your pre-Christmas!!

7. Lena Frost says:

A Christmas Memory is my favorite Christmas story too – we started reading it aloud to first our son and then later to our daughter when she came along. A few years we watched a VHS recording we made from the movie when it was on TV, instead, because Truman Capote himself was the narrator. Later they made another movie and it was abominable compared to the one with Geraldine Page as Aunt Sook and Truman Capote reading. It is not Christmas for me unless I have reread it. Thank you for your reading–you are a talented reader as well as outstanding quilter! I enjoy your blog/facebook posts!

Thank you. I have seen the original and must agree it is the best. Geraldine Page was great! The remake with Patty Duke just didn’t measure up….I think because they tried to add to much to make it into 2 hours and the original really almost verbatim followed the short story.

8. Susan D. says:

A Christmas Memory is a favorite of mine. I like it so much that I read it 2-3 times a year. Your quilts are so beautiful . Thank you for blogging.

9. The reading of A Christmas Carol has been a long standing Christmas Eve tradition for our family. I love the quilting on both of these quilts. They really are spectacular!

10. Dominique David says:

Waouh ! Your Teddy quilt is so…wonerdul ! I think he’s going out of the shame . It’s seam so real ! Have a nice Christmas event. Hugs of France

11. M. A. Roberts says:

Your artistry always amazes me. Thank you for sharing with us!

12. Bernadette says:

These two quilts…WOW! I’ve been closely following your conversion to machines, and you’ve done so much in a short time. I was in awe of your hand quilting already. I bow to you, sir!

13. Barbara Morgan says:

These are beautiful quilts. I love your postings!

14. Deborah Marshall says:

My mom and I always decorated the day after Thanksgiving growing up. Once I moved out, I would go to her house to decorate on Black Friday, the on Saturday she would come to mine…. Sadly, we live to far apart to do that tradition anymore. I plan to decorate today and maybe do some hand quilting tonight to stay awake past 6pm 🙂 Happy quilting!

15. Pam G says:

The Teddy quilt is just incredible!!! It’s hard to pick a favorite of your quilts – love them all. I’m with you — staying home to decorate Friday. Never did the Black Friday thing, never will. Have a safe & wonderful holiday.

16. velialauermanhandquilter says:

Thanks for your great pictures. I know you will enjoy every minute of these beautiful days ahead.

17. Jaydee Price says:

Your quilts are fabulous. I love the Teddy quilt for sure. Have fun decorating and sewing. I don’t do Black Friday too many and too much.
    Enjoy the coming holiday. Love Christmas.

18. Dawn Cooper says:

Some how I missed seeing any photos of your Peacock Quilt. The fabric is beautiful. I am not sure if you dye your own or get it from a favourite source.
    Your machine quilting is really great. I have a friend that machine quilts with a treadle. It amazes me. I have enough trouble getting things going smoothly when I am just hitting a peddle & trying to manipulate the fabric!

Have a Merry Christmas.

19. You’ve been captured and framed, Teddy. So beautifully!

20. Teresa says:

Thank you for the story. It’s a new one to me, and I look forward to hunting down and watching the Geraldine Page version of the movie. Your video has inspired me to try learning how to free motion quilt on my old Singer machines (221 and 222). I appreciate old/slow things, so it might be time to find a treadle base and learn a new trick! Merry Christmas to you and your many followers 🎄

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )