I’m Back

I feel so bad that I have been away so long!    It has been so long that I am not sure I can cover everything in one post but let me at least get started on the catching up.

I have had some health problems that have slowed me down.    I had a bout of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome , rather than try to explain all of that here is a link if you want to read about it. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ramsay-hunt-syndrome/home/ovc-20257238

I still have a lot of facial pain from that …. but it is much better than it was.   I am fortunate to have pretty good medical insurance but the cost would have been nearly 30 thousand dollars for all the tests and the time in the emergency room etc.    Still it does eat up money that I had other plans for 🙂

Also having a lot of trouble with the nerves in my elbow on my left arm, and both shoulders, and arthritis in both hands.  All of that has made me unable to hand quilt for more than just very short periods of time and that has been hard to deal with.   I am going back to the Dr. mid July and I am determined to get back to hand quilting so I have not given up on that.    Fortunately I learned to machine quilt on my treadle so I can still quilt!

I didn’t want to make this post into a pity part so on to the good news .

I got a new pair of glasses, Trifocals, and I can see again !    So nice to go to a good Dr and a good optician to fit them properly!!

My quilting business on Etsy has been keeping me very busy!  Here are a few of the things I have been making.

And to shamelessly self promote here is the link to the store to purchase.  https://www.etsy.com/shop/timquilts

As long as I can remember I have always wanted to make things for a living.   I always said “I want to be an artist”   even at the age of 5.    So it has been a great joy to me to be able to finally do that 45 years later!     People often ask what I am working on quilting.  My answer lately is “a new furnace and replacement windows”   I have sold enough bags for the furnace but a lot of that went to medical expenses and other household needs and garden costs  so I am starting over….still plenty of time before winter 🙂 and I love making them!

Now for my garden…..there are a million pictures but here are many ( click on any of the pictures to enlarge)

Early Spring

Spring

Early Summer

June

So that is the garden summary for the season so far.

Here is Teddy supervising the replacement of the deck boards.

I have several new sewing machines to share….and a ton of quilt projects in my head but I will save that for the next post…..
Again I am sorry to have been away so long! But I promise to post at least once a week .

Happy Quilting and gardening!

171 thoughts on “I’m Back

1. Aleda says:

I don’t know which delights my eye more, your bags or your garden! 😍
    Sorry to hear of the health issues but glad that you can still create despite them.🌞

2. Martyne Bailey says:

Welcome back. I hope you recover quickly and totally Tim.

Sent from my iPhone

3. gijane279-Liz says:

Sorry to hear of the health issues… glad to have you back and sharing your art and gardens

4. Sandi says:

I hope your health continues to get better quickly. Your bags are gorgeous and your flowers are wonderful! Hugs,

5. Pat says:

Glad you are back. Thought my phone deleted you! Love everything you do. Always great work.

6. annette jacob says:

So pleased to have received your communications. I wondered what
    happened to you! Hopefully, over time, most of humpty dumpty will be
    put back together again! Your bags, btw, are really gorgeous.

7. Lindsay says:

Welcome back to the blog world, Tim! I am so glad you have returned but you must be even gladder! Regarding your health: OY! or make that OW! I am also delighted to see your flowers because I have been wondering how your garden has been doing after such a long winter. You and Teddy have been making good use of your time with all the great bags and new decking. I’m really glad you are back

8. Sara Velder says:

Glad you’re back and hope the health issues get much better! The bags are amazing and I have viewed them on Facebook, too!
    Garden is great and the dog looks happy!

9. Susan Dileanis says:

I missed your blogs so much. Glad you are on the mend. Your bags and garden are beautiful. What an artist you are!

10. Kathy says:

So glad that you are back. You have been missed. Glad you are well enough to be back in the saddle again! My our pictures are so inspiring!

11. Jeanette says:

You are a “Master” quilter and gardener. So sorry to hear that you havent been well. Much hope and prayer for a resolve to the problems. Best Wishes

12. Cathie Lanier says:

Welcome back, Tim! I wondered what happened to you. So glad that you are feeling better. I haven’t read the info on the link yet, but I plan to. Teddy looks like he is doing well. Missed both if you ! Gorgeous purses and lovely flowers. You take care and will be watching for more posts from you.

13. anngenaske says:

I’m so grateful your expertise on the treadles was well established before your symptoms blew up. Hopefully it won’t be long before you’re able to hand quilt again. I can’t even imagine how worried Teddy has been about you. Your garden looks like Eden and I’m thankful you’ve been able to ‘plug away’ at it. It is absolutely stunning. Thank you for filling us in. Wishing you all the best. XO

14. Mary says:

Very sorry to hear of all the health issues you have been dealing with of late. Your gardens are spectacular! And it’s always a joy to see little Teddy! I hope your health improves quickly and best to you and your Etsy sales!!
    So glad to receive your post 💕
    Mary

15. Cheryl says:

Welcome.e back. Your garden is beautiful. I hope it brings you peace and healing. Take it slow. Cheryl

16. Annette Young says:

I live in Canada and accidentally found you just a few weeks ago. I love your videos and I am learning a lot from them. I have an old singer peddle sewing machine and have decided to restore it. Bought a new belt and will spend time working on it.
    I do hope your health continues to improve. Sorry to hear you had to spend a lot of money on your treatments. We are so lucky in Canada to have universal health care.
    Don’t over do things. One step at a time.
    Look forward to your next video.
    Annette Young

17. glendajean says:

Dear Tim was so sad to read your opening mail, a hand quilters nightmare, it is such a blessing you had learnt to machine quilt on the lovely old machines and found an extraordinary new talent that people want to buy and may help recover or support you just now. Your new bags and totes are incredible and show your artist eye so well. I’m sure your garden has suffered as well from your illness but my goodness the flowers are giving you so much joy still. Crossing my fingers you get back to hand quilting too. Do some google searching on Sashiko quilting I think this might be some thing you would also enjoy. Kind regards Glenda

18. katechiconi says:

My goodness, what a long time it has been, but I’m very glad to see you’re back. I recently sent a blogging friend over to your blog to look at your restored and completed vintage quilts; she’s found one in an old trunk, started by a family member, and wanted to know if anyone had any helpful ideas about cleaning and completing it.
    I’m so sorry to hear about your health problems; I occasionally get trigeminal neuralgia, so I have an inkling of what you have been going through, and similarly the arthritis, which is making hand sewing increasingly difficult. I hope you will be able to enjoy a long remission.

19. Ruby says:

Welcome back. Beautiful flowers and bags. Take care of yourself and get well.

20. Denise says:

So good to see your posts again. I missed them. Your bags are really cool. And I missed Teddy too. Your garden is so amazing. All the work and love you put in really shows.

21. Aliaon says:

EVeryone has already said it…but I am so happy to see Tim and Teddy back. My very best to you – onwards and upwards.

22. Mrs. Plum says:

Oh, Tim, I’m so sorry you had to go through Ramsay Hunt Syndrome. I had never heard of it before–thanks for the Mayo Clinic link. Your bags are gorgeous, as is your garden, to say nothing of Teddy. Welcome back!

23. Laura says:

So glad you’ve returned! Thank you for sharing your wisdom and beautiful work, both indoors and out…:)

24. Leilani Lee says:

Sorry for all your health issues but very glad to see your up and around. I’ve been following your journey making bags and I love your work. I am just starting to try bag making and find your work inspirational!! I would love to read exactly how you make them. Especially what fabric it is you use. Thanks in advance for any information you may share.

Sent from my iPhone

25. jean f says:

I’ve been worried about you two for some months and am delighted you are up to blogging again. Let me tell you, your bags look like embossed leather! Beautiful! (my brother did a purse for mother of embossed leather in a class. She used it for years!) With all that beautiful machine quilting your bags will wear long as well. Love your flowers. We live in the desert and IF I were to have that kind of yard I’d have to be out watering all the time! But my joints would not permit me to bend and weed! Best wishes to better health!

26. Ellen Palmer says:

I’m glad you are back and healing. I recently “found” you on YouTube and you have gotten me excited to get my treadles (I have two) uncovered and ready to work. I’d like to become proficient at piecing (at least). I don’t know that I will free motion quilt though…. (I longarm), but I love watching you free motion!

Ellen

27. Melba Lacey says:

When you are up to hosting a garden tea party, let me know. Love your garden, your bags, your creative quilting, your willingness to share your knowledge with the rest of us, your sweet Teddy, and the fact that you are recovering well. So very grateful for good health insurance coverage. Live long and prosper.

28. Jeanette says:

Sorry for your health issues. I have fibromyalgia so can relate to the pain. What hurts the most is not being able to do what you did in the past. Hope you get back to hand quilting soon. I love love love the garden and your dog! Take care of yourself foremost and I’ll look forward to hearing more in the future.

29. Kelly says:

Dear Tim,
    So marvellous to hear from you. I have missed your posts immensely. Your health news sounds awful although I am pleased to hear you are on the mend. I put off tri-vocals for so long (only old people wear the and they look terrible). But they have moved on and you can’t tell the difference any more. And so much easier than changing glasses all the time. Welcome back.

30. ginny buckles hardy says:

It is nice to have you back. I sure hope you get feeling better. I surely underxtand about the hand quilting and the arthritis!7

I keep at it, tho. I figure it is the only way to beat this stuff

Keep fighting back and keep moving.

Ginny

On Jun 23, 2017 6:41 PM, “Tim Latimer – Quilts etc” wrote:

> timquilts posted: “I feel so bad that I have been away so long! It has > been so long that I am not sure I can cover everything in one post but let > me at least get started on the catching up. I have had some health problems > that have slowed me down. I had a bout of R” >

31. Lorinda A Matsui says:

I’ve found keeping busy creating is a great way to find strength to fight health issues. I’m So glad you’re able to sew. You have such a talent. I hope that in time you can hand quilt again as well.

32. Ann says:

So very pleased to have you back. I missed reading about your work and seeing photos of your gorgeous garden. I hope your health issues are sorted.

33. ailsabusby says:

Hi, When I saw your post in my mail box my heart skipped a beat. It is so strange that someone you have never met and who lives so far away can bring a little light into your world. I’m so glad you are overcoming your health issues and are feeling well enough to blog again. Your work is really beautiful and is bound to become someones treasured heirlooms. I was happy to see your pictures of the delectable Teddy, he must be such a wonderful companion for you.I am so glad to have your posts in my mail box again. I really missed you. Thank you for sharing your inspiring life. I pray that your health continues to improveRegards, Ailsa

34. Hi Tim. I admire how you have re-invented yourself. When life gives us lemons we should make lemonade. Your garden looks fab and your bags are fabulous. Well done x

35. Terry Rippel says:

Glad you’re back Tim! Always love to look at your photos. You are an inspiration to me.

36. Irene Vernon says:

Nothing but admiration in all the work you do Tim.

37. Kate says:

Hello Tim, it was so great to see your name in the emails again, yours has always been a most favourite blog and I’ve really missed reading it. All my best wishes regarding your health. I wrote to you a long time ago when rheumatoid was affecting my arms and wrists, and you kindly advised me on which materials would be easiest to quilt through. I did mend, and so will you. Such beautiful work, and stunning garden – those aquilegia are so lovely, I wonder if we could trade seeds in the post?!
    Really happy you and Teddy are back, looking forward to reading your next post.

38. Susan says:

So glad to hear that your health is improving. One gets to a certain age and one needs a WPA project for aging infrastructure….Thanks for your post with the absolutely gorgeous bags, amazing garden, and Teddy looking so jaunty in his blue and white scarf. Take care of yourself. You are a treasure to all of us out here in the blogosphere.

39. Glenda johnstone says:

Hi Tim, so glad your feeling better!! I always smile when I see your name in my mailbox. Love your work, love your garden, love your dog. And most of all love your philosophy of life.. do what you love..

40. Susie Q says:

Welcome back! I have missed you, the garden and Teddy.

41. Carol Darrow says:

Happy to see you back doing what you love. Sorry to hear what you’ve been thru health wise. Very aware of shingles. My Dad suffered with shingles on his face 18 yrs ago. Went into his eye, pain unbearable. He had 2 cornea transplants. The night before getting stitches removed of 2nd transplant he died suddenly of heart attack. Looking forward to seeing your projects & new posts. Be well!

42. flutterbyhats says:

Glad to hear from you again . I hope you keep improving health wise. A lot of people don’t realize how debilitating the disease is. Next week I am going to go and get my shingle shot! I have missed your posts. I must say, your flowers are beautiful! Here in Vermont everything is drowning with all of the rain we have been getting. On the plus side, of life, my sister is visiting from New Hampshire and ahe, my daughter and granddaughter are enjoying the Vermont Quilt Festival ! Take care and welcome back!

43. Catherine L McIntee says:

Glad you are on the mend. Several years ago I also had to stop hand quilting (which I dearly loved) but regrouped to learn machine work and forged onward. It’s not as relaxing but does the job. Your machine work is already stellar so you are ahead of the game! 🙂
    Your garden is absolutely fantastic.

44. Cathie King, Toronto says:

Welcome back, as you can see from the number of comments you and Teddy were missed. Hope your health problems are behind you now. Enjoy your beautiful garden the season is so short!

45. Rose in VT says:

Welcome back Tim! Glad to hear from you again. My state pays for residents to get the shingles vaccine, but not till they hit 60. I have other friends who got it in their 50’s. It’s great to see your quilting progress and your garden pics are always an inspiration, as is Teddy. Glad you’re getting better.

46. Jan says:

So good to hear from you. Hello to Teddy the supervisor. It’s cool here in Northern WI, so I too will be playing in the garden dirt today. Hope you feel a bit better every day.

47. Earlene says:

Goodness! Tim, so good to hear from you and glad your health is improving! Thank you for sharing your skills. Your purses are gorgeous and your garden is absolutely beautiful!!

48. Maureen says:

I’m so pleased you are back and on the road to your best health. That arthritis, aka Arthr Itis, can be a troublemaker but keeping moving is the best tool. Good wishes to you and Teddy.

49. Jul says:

Oh Tim, so glad you r back. Sorry to hear about your health, but glad u r on the mend. I really missed your emails. I think I was one of the first to order your bag and how far you have come with them it’s just a joy that you are back and better!

50. I’m sorry to hear of your health issues, and I hope that you will continue to improve so that you can do all the things you love to do. It sounds like your wonderful bags have been a success and a source of extra income. I enjoyed seeing the transformation of your garden through your beautiful photos. Welcome back!

51. gretchenfire says:

Thank you for the eye candy! I am so glad to see you posting again! Sorry to hear about your health problems. I will be keeping you in my prayers.

52. Thanks for the update! Glad to hear things are improving for you.

53. elliefpw@sbcglobal.net says:

Welcome back, Tim. Wondered where you were. But then things fall off my radar to be lost forever. Did you have shingles? Such a fear of that but had the vaccine. Don’t know how you have kept your garden and your quilting going being in pain. I know how hard that is. I still have not been able to get the garden at my Handel and Gretel House back to its former glory. And as far as my art I’m slowly returning. When something feeds your soul and spirit there is no going back because without it what is the point? Keep on keeping on! Keeping good and positive thoughts for you.

Sent from my iPhone

54. Phyllis Henrich says:

Welcome back! We’ve missed you! Garden photos are phenomenal!!

55. Wanda says:

I’ve missed you (and Teddy) so much! Glad you’re back and thanks for the update and pictures.

56. Louise C says:

Sorry to learn that you were sick but so happy to have you back into your passions, gardening and outside pleasures. I can’t believe all those flowers!! and they look so healthy and in quantity too. It must take you so much time looking at all those herbacious borders – do you have a trick for field lilly? you must have some going though all those beautiful borders, no? I cn’t get rid of mine, no matter what I try (no pesticides here of course because I am against them, all of them). Great to have you back!!

57. Sherry Southgate says:

I was thinking just a day or so ago that I hadn’t seen any postings from you and wondered “why”. Now I know. So sorry to hear about your health issues and hope you are now on the mend. Love your bags and your garden pictures are to die for.

58. Jereena Ameen says:

Hello Tim,
    I discovered you only recently on youtube and I am so glad I did. I love your free motion work. Now that I seen your blog I am amazed by your garden. It’s truly an inspiration. Thank you for sharing. I hope and pray for complete recovery from health issues.

59. Linda Dove says:

Welcome back Tim! Sorry to hear about all of your health problems ,hope you get them sorted out soon. I enjoy all of your videos…you keep me company while I stitch and I always learn something from them.

60. Diane says:

Oh, my goodness…look at all the comments from folks who love you!! Never call it a pity party when you share with friends your issues…that is what friends are for…Your work is stunning…be better..xo

61. Darlynn Venne says:

Tim, so glad you are back! You have been missed by your fans~
    You are an artist. I am so delighted for your success. Sincerely~~

62. Annie85 says:

HI,sorry about you being ill.. Not fun I’m sure..I’ll read about the Diagnosis….This bag is beautiful….I have my eye on the leather one,which is my cup of Tea,so to speak..lol…Please do not give up on making these beautiful bags..I know where you are coming from..I had a stroke on my left side..lucky….I can’t quite use the fingers on my left hand..and my foot is a little slow…so I know how you feel about cutting back on your sewing….so did I ..but determination will win over..glad to see you back in motion…best wishes….Sweet Annie

Sent from my iPad

63. sammeesue says:

glad you are getting better. love your work

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 7:40 PM, Tim Latimer – Quilts etc wrote:

64. M. A. Roberts says:

Bless your heart! Prayers from this Austin home being sent your way.

65. Sandi Tundel says:

I was so happy to see your name on a post yesterday. Sorry to hear about the reasons for your absence, but just glad to know I can finally read your posts again.

66. Allison Boucheer says:

I am so glad you feel better and are back. I checked my email subscriptions several times to make sure I still had yours!

67. Judie Frost says:

So happy to see you are back! Sorry to hear about your illness. Your bags are beautiful, I am sure they sell well. Prayers to you that you are able to quilt again soon!

68. SandyO says:

Welcome back . I was so happy to see your email and the “I am back.” Sorry to hear that you are having health problems. Prayers that you will soon be well and able to get back to your hand quilting. Missed Teddy and his pictures with your quilts. Thank you for sharing the pictures of your beautiful garden and all the gorgeous purses you have made. Amazing how much you are able to get done. Don’t know where you find the time do all you do. Hugs for you and Teddy too.

69. Ann says:

What a relief to see your post. I have been wondering and worrying (with good reason, I see, so sorry you have been ill🙁) It’s wonderful to see pictures of your garden and Teddy again. Keep getting better. I LOVE the bags you are designing and making now!

70. Such a beautiful garden you have… and good to have you back!

71. Deb says:

Delighted to have you posting again.. especially all those lovely flowers!! Good to see Teddy again …missed his charming poses.

72. Shirley says:

So good to see you posting again! I missed you. Except for the first health issue you have had, mine have “mirrored” yours almost exactly! I admire you for still getting so much done! Very impressive garden and the bags are to die for!!! Love them! I didn’t always post, but felt
    compelled to this time to welcome you back!

73. Suzette Shoulders says:

Dear Tim, I had wondered about you, and am glad to get your blogpost! I went with a friend to England, and we saw some lovely things, along with gorgeous gardens, and Hill Top Farm, but when I look at your garden photos, I want to come to Michigan! : ) Glad you are ‘on the mend’, and hope you will continue to heal! hugs from Oregon, Suzette

74. Neame says:

Dear Tim, So very glad you are posting again, though I do understand how life can get in the way. Sorry you are experiencing such painful health problems. Stay strong and mend. Tim, I think you have always been an artist. So far as I can tell your life is a work of art, your home, your garden, your mechanical skills with the sewing machines, and of course your most current, your bags. Thanks for sharing.
    Neame.

75. Mandy says:

So sorry to hear you’ve been quite unwell, wishing you better health. Love the blog and photos of the bags and all the beautiful plants. Teddy looks as gorgeous as ever 🙂

76. Elizabeth McClung says:

Tim, You were missed! I’m glad you’re doing somewhat better.

On Jun 23, 2017 8:45 PM, “Tim Latimer – Quilts etc” wrote:

77. Anita says:

Welcome back. Glad you are getting better. Missed you a lot. Prayers are sent for a complete recovery – and soon. You garden is so lovely. Thanks for all you do and create.

78. Dixie says:

So glad you are back as I have missed your posts! Sending positive thoughts for healing so you can get back to doing what you want to do. Your bags and garden are really lovely. Thank you for sharing your life with us!

79. civilwarlady says:

Huzzah! I have missed your posts. I am sending good thoughts your way for a speedy healing process.

80. Lou Page Graham says:

Hi Tim, you were on a lot of folks minds and hearts. God bless you! Your quilted bags are beautiful, and your flowers show you have quite a green thumb! Take care of yourself!

81. Teresa Barensfeld says:

Glad you are back! Sorry to hear of your health issues and glad you’re feeling better. I’ve had RA for many years, especially in my hands. I am convinced that people who sew are the most ingenious people, as we always seem to figure out how to keep doing what we love — sewing!

82. Catherine Parsons says:

Dear Tim, so glad to hear you are back on deck and that your health is on the mend and that you are working up a storm! ;-)) Never let the bastards win, I say! Keep on getting better. Catherine in the Great Down Under xx

83. Dona Coffey says:

Tim,
    I am so glad to see you are back. Don’t try to force too much. Shingles are tough to come back from (I had them 9 years ago). I missed reading your blog.
    Dona

84. Helen says:

I am delighted to read your posts again and catch up. I’m sorry to hear you have been unwell and hope that you can get back to hand quilting soon.
    Your garden looks amazing, particularly the peonies.
    The quilting on the bags is amazing.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )