Practice tree

I decided to do a practice tree before I do the full sized version.   This one is bout 30″ x 60″.   I want to see how the thread looks with the fabric and how the details show.    I am just getting started using black thread

I will post some pictures as soon as I get a bit more done.

I got the binding finished on this little leather wall quilt. (18″ x 25″)

It is too hot an humid today to work in the garden but it sure needs to have some weeds pulled!

Teddy doesn’t want to learn how 😦

15 thoughts on “Practice tree

1. Katherine says:

So looking forward to seeing your Tree quilt. I’m sure you will be producing another award winning masterpiece. I’ve left a comment for you on your “Contact Tim” space about sewing machine needles — let me know what you think.
    PS – I’m with Teddy on the weeding when it’s hot and humid – even without his fur coat!

2. Annette Young says:

Love the tree. Will you have a video of you sewing? Love it

3. M. A. Roberts says:

LOve the tree. Love Teddy. He is smart to leave the weeding to you!

4. Judie Frost says:

Tim, Is that actually leather that you are quilting the feather on? I am just beginning free motion quilting on my domestic machine. I just spent 1 1/2 hours weeding all the little grasses under my bird feeders, it is in the 60’s an not humid here. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

5. Linda Garcia says:

Several of the quilted bags in your older posts look like leather also. Where do you get your leather? How thick is it? Do you use a leather needle when quilting? Have any trouble with needle or thread breakage?
    Sorry for all the questions but quilting on leather is intriguing.

I use a Schmetz leather needle (different sizes depending on the thread) 1.5 – 2.5 ounce leather is the easiest to FMQ on a standard home machine without any needle or thread breakage or damage to the machine. I buy leather from various sellers on eBay

• Linda Garcia says:

Thanks for the info. That is very interesting. I have some pieces of leather that I inherited from my mother. I may try some quilting on a very small project to start. A coin purse or checkbook cover maybe? Thanks for the inspiration. 🙂

great , let me know if you need further info

Comments