Garden pictures and a Wilcox and Gibbs Chain Stitch Machine

Since I started collecting sewing machines I have wanted a Wilcox and Gibbs chain stitch machine.     Around the new year my quilting friend Teddy Pruett was working on making room in her studio and had one to sell, which I was happy to buy!

Next I started looking for a treadle base for it, and I found one a few months ago…..and the last part was the wooden top which I found this week.

I got the three parts put together and made a video of how it works.

I also took a bunch of garden pictures this morning…and here they are (click pictures to enlarge)

I am in the middle of a few quilts right now so back to work.

Happy quilting

40 thoughts on “Garden pictures and a Wilcox and Gibbs Chain Stitch Machine

1. Frederick says:

Wow how that’s cool. So smooth and like you said quiet. I wonder if the treadle and case were especially made for this type of machine or just adapted to use for yours?

That little machine is awesome! Oh, how I would like to find one of those!
    And of course your garden is just singing!

3. Sandra Guild. says:

Love old sewing machines. I have never seen one like the last one in your video. Beautiful flowers also.

4. Diana says:

Thank you so much for sharing pictures of your garden, quilting, and Teddy. Very inspiring!

5. Ginny says:

I just sold my Wilson and Gibbs in its original cabinet !!! Broke my heart !!!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

6. Ginny says:

Your garden ia beautiful !!! Ginny

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

7. Ruby says:

Wish I had known you wanted a Wilcox and Gibbs chainstitcher as I have one to sell and I live a couple miles away! Need to downsize. Your flowers are beautiful! We should all have such talent!

8. So interesting! I’ve never heard of a chain stitch machine before.

9. It’s that purple cone flowers & coreopsis time of year! All your flowers are so beautiful! Could you tell me the name of the flower in the 3rd picture? There are some growing in our neighborhood, but I never see the owners outside to ask. Love them!

10. Patrick Campbell says:

I am very impressed with your machine and how it sews. It’s amazing how tough those machines were back in the day that helped our great grandmothers and grandmothers make something really beautiful with ease.

I am always impressed with the mechanisms of these old machines.. I don;t know if there is anyone left who would be able to design one without the use of a computer…..

11. Mrs. Plum says:

Thanks for the machine demo and garden photos. I especially like your Oriental lilies!

12. Ann says:

Holy smokes, your garden is looking AMAZING. Love the combinations and how lush everything looks.

13. Kim says:

Wow, your flower garden is breathtaking! I love the machine, they are hard to come by, lucky you

14. Gayle says:

Thanks for sharing your exquisite gardens They are breath taking.

15. Susan Dileanis says:

Thanks for the video. I have always wanted to see one of these in action.

16. Sharron currie says:

Do you share your cookie recipes? If so could I get the recipe for the Ginger Molasses With Lemon Zest Cookies. Thank You

________________________________

17. Thank you for the video . I love your garden and your quilting. You might like some early advertising about the W&G machine from 1865
    “If one thread will do
    Why bother with two
    To break, to confuse, and to tangle?
    There is not a sound
    When my looper goes round,
    No shuttles or bobbins to jangle”

We have 2 pages on James Gibbs in the Quilts of Virginia book.Enjoy

18. Darlynn Venne says:

lovely little machine there Tim! just a tiny bit jealous. though in your hands, it will be well loved. enjoy…darlynn

19. Peggy Norris says:

I was in an antique store yesterday after reading this. They had several tables made from treadle bases and I spied the “feet” in the treadle and then the “W G”. It was great to know what I was looking at! Thanks for all the info and the photos of your beautiful garden.

thanks! Those W&G bases can go for 2-300 dollars or more .. I had to look forever to find some I could afford…. so many ended up in the scrap yard 😦

20. D. Reeves says:

Beautiful garden!

21. Suzette Shoulders says:

The little Wilcox and Gibbs is so cute! We bought a wee child’s machine made in ‘Western Germany’ for my daughter years ago, and one of us would HOLD the machine ( in essence being a parental C clamp!) while she happily sewed with the chain stitch! She was 3 then, and has gone on to become a fanatic pieceer and hand quilter, and owns a number of machines! The base of your W/G is fascinating! thanks for sharing Suzette

Comments