Butterflies and machine

I have had many butterflies in my garden the last few weeks and I took some photos a few days ago….which will serve as quilt inspiration at some point soon.

I bought a Singer 31-15 quite a while back and it is finally in good working order

Here is a video of some free motion work on it .

I went to see the physical therapist and I have some exercises for my shoulders to do for my shoulders…..and the therapist wants to see me two times a week for 3 weeks to try to get it worked out.   the arthritis on my hands and knees is a different story but one thing at a time ….and forward progress.

Don’t be afraid of change, change can be a beautiful thing said the butterfly.

18 thoughts on “Butterflies and machine

1. mz&cho says:

Lovely photos! Please share the quilt once it becomes reality.

It must be time for all butterflies to fly as they are everywhere here, too. The woods behind our house have been covered with monarchs and my tiger lilies had one just like your last picture on them. I could almost have it land on my hand, they are so tame.
    Hope you get some good luck with your shoulder issues.

3. Mrs. Plum says:

Oh my gosh, Tim, that last photo of the butterfly on top of the echineacea is stunning! Can’t wait to see what it inspires.

4. Peggy says:

I’ll be eagerly awaiting what becomes of your butterfly and coneflower photos. Stunning! Hope the PT helps. Always enjoy seeing you quilt with your ole machines put back into usage.

5. Rose in VT says:

Wow Tim: That top looks like an old industrial machine table, did it come separately from the base? I never would have thought they’d work for treadles. I’ll take a closer look at mine when I get to sewing…Love the butterfly, you caught that at the perfect moment!

6. Sandi Tundel says:

What a gorgeous photo of the butterfly on the flower. Looking forward to seeing that as a quilt.

7. Suzette Shoulders says:

Tim , I totally sympathize about the arthritis, I no longer can do more than a half hour at a time of hand quilting, and sitting for more than a half hour in one position sort of ‘freezes’ me. A friend with arthritis gave me the best advice, ‘ Motion is Lotion” for the joints… I walk more and more, even though it takes me away from sewing and stitching. If I am with a friend or listening to a recorded book, the time seems to fly by! But adding even ten minute walks three times a day, just gentle walking, helps with the joints as we age! I love your quilting, it is truly breathtaking! Hugs from Oregon, Suzette

8. terryknott says:

I too enjoyed that last photo of the butterfly! I hope the PT will help the shoulder issue and as for the arthritis–a minimum of 1-3 repetitions of stretches will help you maintain your flexibility and on days that you are able to do more repetitions, then you can strengthen the muscles to provide more support for your joints. Check to see if there is an Arthritis Water Exercise program in your area as learning some of those exercises might allow you to continue doing the amount of other life skills that you want to do. . .like quilting for instance! (http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/exercise/workouts/simple-routines/water-walking.php)

9. karenfae says:

been awhile since I dropped by to see your work and read that you have been having medical problems – so sorry to hear that – I have been there as well and have had chronic conditions for just under 30 years but we keep on ticking don’t we – wanted to let you know I was in Paducah for the show on Thursday and saw your quilt with Teddy – I have put a photo on my blog of it to share and linked to you – hope you find out soon what all your health problems are so you can get on the road to recovery

Thanks! it really has been discouraging but we keep ticking and adapting 🙂 Thanks for posting the Teddy quilt….. The subject matter made it a fun one to do 🙂
      Happy quilting!! Tick on 🙂