Starting a new quilt

I am working on finishing the Butterfly quilt.   This is the Quilt I did with Derwent Inktense pencils that my friend Ginny George sent me (I plan to do a video of how I do the drawing/painting soon).  I have it all finished except for the binding.    I will also do a short video to demo how I do machine binding.

The new machine That I won arrived!   I have not tried it yet, but I will soon

I am working on a baby quilt, the colors to match the nursery are pink and gray.

here is some of the fabric and my less than perfect plan.

fabric cut into 2.5 inch strips and then 2.5 inch squares.

so there is the start……I will do some detail with the machine quilting (that is where the new machine will make it debut)

I added a few fabric scraps just to get an idea what it will look like with a face

After this is stitched together I will add borders .

I decided to mark down all the quilts and bags in my Etsy store 25%  until the end of the month https://www.etsy.com/shop/timquilts .   New items hopefully starting in Sept.

Teddy is tired and ready for some attention

32 thoughts on “Starting a new quilt

1. banksia says:

Fabulous! So is Teddy❤️

2. Evelyn says:

Thanks for sharing your quilts and the process. Can’t wait for the Inktense video. The machine you won is the same as the Jamome 1600. It is a great quilting machine. It can be a bit pickie about the threads it likes. I’ve had one a few years and really love it. I have discovered your treadle quilting on You Tube. I have a treadle but haven’t used it. It belonged to my great aunt. I am waiting for retirement to focus more on my quilting. Thanks again for all you share.

3. Mrs. Plum says:

Love the daisy quilt, Tim! And aren’t you clever with the baby quilt–it’s adorable! Hope you and Teddy had some quality time together.

4. Kathy Roloff says:

Wow, just wow. Wonderful projects. I do wonder, can you operate a new machine?

5. ClaraZ says:

Awesome Teddy Bear 💗

6. Sandra J Powell says:

Such a cute baby quilt idea! And I eagerly await the Inktense info. I just purchased a large pencil.

7. Sandra J Powell says:

Pencil set, that is. I adore Teddy!

8. Kristen Steiner says:

What a bear! Excellent!

The butterfly quilt is wonderful! Teddy is looking lonely, did he celebrate National Dog Day yesterday?

10. Jackie B. says:

Your quilts are wonderful. Teddy is so cute..good picture of him. I hope you are feeling better.

11. jean f says:

love your little graph drawing of your bear project! such talent, you see things many just cannot.

I have tried to be super accurate and even tried to use a computer quilt program but I do best with little sketches like that and them make changes as needed

12. Kath snow says:

Having just received my lovely tote bag from you, I am enjoying
    My Singer 99 which was given to me when I was 15 am now 95
    And encouraged by your expertise to try your lovely work.
    I look forward to your every email showing your new designs,
    And as I love inktense pencils too. Your work is wonderful .
    I hope you will make a quick recovery from you illness and enjoy
    God health.to give us all such pleasure.not forgetting Teddy
    a lovely lovely assistant.

13. Sandi Tundel says:

I’m looking forward to the info about the pens. You give me such inspiration! Thank you.

14. Steph says:

I am intrigued by the pencils. As well as quilting, I do silk painting. There are two main ways of colouring. One with dyes which have to be steam set and leave the silk soft and pliable. The other is with paints – a thin acrylic which are set by ironing. The paints affect the surface and the silk doesn’t have its original “drape”. It is very slightly stiff.
    After the Inktense – what will the fabric feel like – how do you “set” the colours – will the fabric be washable?
    (I had a look on Youtube . Lots of painting but no answers to those questions so I thought I would ask you because you explain things so well and you are a quilter and you understand fabric. A lot of the information is about painting pictures. I am intrigued to know if I can paint my own cotton fabric to use in a quilt.)

it is my understanding that the inktense pencils will remain permanent simply with water. the use of the textile medium does make for stiff fabric but it is used to prevent the bleeding that the water can cause (the medium is thicker than water so doesnt absorb into the fabric like water does) I have to try one with just water and few washings to be sure but it looks like that will be the case.

15. Katherine says:

As always, so much to enjoy on this blog entry. Thaks for taking the time to show us the stages in the creation of that darling baby quilt, the picture of your trophy machine (can’t wait to see what you do with it), and the picture of your sweet boy! BTW – enjoyed seeing your Quilt Alliance winner noted on the latest newsletter of The Quilt Show!

16. quilz4me says:

Hi Tim, I have been following your posts for some time and would like your imput on a Singer Golden Touch sewing machine i have owned since the 1960.  I gave this machine to my daughter a few years ago and it has gone through several moves with her. I am visiting her in Virginia Beach and have been playing with this machine to find a problem on why i can’t bring the bobbin thread up to sew.  I know you purchased this same machine a while back and got it working.  I was wondering if you had any ideas of what i might try. If all else fails, i will give her a different machine and put this one up for grabs. Would appreciate anything you can offer. A fan ov yours,Sandy Ruffino

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® S2

the bobbin is always a problem on those machines. My touch and sew is in pieces right now for that reason. I am not sure what is wrong, I think I can get it working but have not had a chance to work on it ofr a while

Comments