Quilting Away

Happy New Year!    And I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday season!

I posted this on Facebook but want to share it here as well.

“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You’re doing things you’ve never done before, and more importantly, you’re Doing Something.

So that’s my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody’s ever made before. Don’t freeze, don’t stop, don’t worry that it isn’t good enough, or it isn’t perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you’re scared of doing, Do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”
― Neil Gaiman

It has been COLD here in Michigan….and quite a bit of snow, in fact there was a winter weather advisory on Christmas day so I stayed home rather than making the  drive  to visit the family.

It has been below zero for days …..

I made a new snowflake quilt.  A wall hanging size.

I also made a video of how I did it

I have been feeling like I needed to finish a full-sized quilt….so I looked through all my many (hundreds) of vintage quilt tops and picked one to work on

I believe it was made in the 30’s but it is hard to say for sure.  The applique is done with buttonhole or blanket stitch and the main fabric is a heavy weight muslin.    Teddy and I spent some time thinking about how to quilt it.

I felt that this one really needed to be somewhat simple and traditional …. I am doing the quilting by machine (my hands just aren’t up to a lot of hand quilting yet) but wanted something that would also be appropriate to do by hand and look like it fits the quilt.

Here is what I came up with.

Once I had that worked out it started to go pretty fast.

Teddy sits in his chair next to the machine and supervises.

I also made a video of stitching this one

I am just a bit over half-finished with it, I need to fins some fabric for binding that will match the green or the pink.

I have next/final procedure on the 11th ….. after that I hope to get back to blogging more frequently !
Happy New Year and Happy Quilting

17 thoughts on “Quilting Away

1. Martha Caterino says:

Thanks for you thoughtful encouragement for a New Year!

2. Perfect Art Noveau compliment to the pink white and green quilt! Just beautiful!

3. Glenda johnstone says:

So happy to see your beautiful work and teddy. You are such an inspiration. Thank you for the wish of mistakes. What a blessing !
    Glenda

4. Angela says:

If it wasn’t for Teddy, you would probably not finish anything. Happy and Mistaken New Year for both of you.

5. Katherine says:

glad you are feeling well enough to blog a bit — it’s always such a treat to see what you are up to. Hope the final procedure really gets you back where you would like to be.
    Lovely New Year’s wish — only a creative person would think of something so lovely.
    Your work on the Rose quilt is just beautiful — so appropriate for the age/style of the quilt. Working on a replica of an antique quilt and your design is giving me ideas although I don’t have your talent to get the same incredible result. Wish I lived closer to you so I could drop my quilt top off to you to work on!
    Yummy rubs to Teddy!

6. stephanie says:

So much good work!! 😀 (And let me know if you do some bookmarks- still interested!!) 🙂

7. Dianna G says:

Happy New Year Tim!

8. Suzette Shoulders says:

so glad you are feeling pretty good, Tim! LOVED that red snowflake quilt, and the antique one, what a sweet thing that is! The flower looks sort of “art deco” , so stylized! The rest of the country has our snow , here in Oregon, we are beginning to worry about no snowpack for next year! Stitch on! Suzette in Bend, Oregon

9. Martyne says:

Tim I really enjoy your winter wonderland projects and thoughts. Thank you! You amaze me.

10. Ann says:

Love all the projects you shared and REALLY loved the quote. It is so true.

I had a similar quote taped to my fridge for a long time which said something like that. It went something like-

“Use what talents you possess. The woods would be very quiet if the only birds that sang were those that sang the best.”

Hope your next procedure goes well and you continue to improve and feel better.I think it’s a very good sign that you are quilting again.

It’s been brutally cold in Maine too. Let’s hope this cold wave will move away soon!

11. Sandi Tundel says:

Happy New Year Tim. I only wish my best quilting could be 1/2 as good as your mistakes. Thank you for letting me be part of your life.

12. Nerida says:

Happy New Year TIm. Thank you for the lovey post. I have already made my 1st mistake though not a quilting one. I took my 5r yro granddaughter camping. It was first time for her and the first time for me going solo. The problem was not taking a little one who had no idea what a tent was (try explaining what a tent is to someone who has never seen one before), the mistake was believing that going on New Years Eve meant getting away from it all and the campground would only have like minded people there. I actually had not given any thought to it being NYE, it is not a big thing with me.

It turned out it was a place for adults to get intoxicated as much as possible and leave their children roaming in swarms unsupervised. Then one clown let off fireworks close to and just behind our tent when we were trying to sleep. Fire of any sort is banned at the moment because of the risk of bushfires. Use of Fireworks without a license is illegal here. Generally it was pretty awful. I have never had an experience like it while camping.

Not everyone was trouble and I learned a new trick for getting the tent up from another camper who came to help us set up.

We survived!!!

13. Mrs. Plum says:

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Tim! Hope your procedure on the 11th goes well. Your quilting is gorgeous, as always.

14. Isabella says:

Happy New Year to you Tim , looking forward to another year of your great blog

15. Louise C says:

Beautiful quilt that you have, there. Here too, it has been a polar Christmas season with siberian temperatures and snow. Thanks for the video which is very informative. Wish you a very healthy new year, Tim!!

16. lilquilter says:

Dear Tim,
    Wishing you and Teddy a happy New Year and a wonderful 2018. Thinking of you both…Grand Rapids made the news here in Delaware with your high temperatures being below zero for 7 days. That is some serious cold! Hope you guys are keeping warm and quilting up a storm. Love the new snowflake quilt and the antique one.
    Good luck with your procedure on Thursday. I hope you will finally be feeling great before too long. Cheers!

17. Neame says:

Thanks for the thoughtful good wishes for all of us. Wishing you health and comfort and happiness in the new year and always. Love to see your quilting efforts, and gardening, and bags (wow) and Teddy and and and.
    Neame