Since I started collecting sewing machines I have wanted a Wilcox and Gibbs chain stitch machine. Around the new year my quilting friend Teddy Pruett was working on making room in her studio and had one to sell, which I was happy to buy!
Next I started looking for a treadle base for it, and I found one a few months ago…..and the last part was the wooden top which I found this week.
I got the three parts put together and made a video of how it works.
I also took a bunch of garden pictures this morning…and here they are (click pictures to enlarge)
I am in the middle of a few quilts right now so back to work.
I worked some more on the Blue tree quilt. I took a break from quilting to start on the painting. I am using acrylic paint and water……I am not worried about a fabric medium since this is a wall hanging and will not need to stand up to washings.
I have a lot of painting to go and a lot of quilting. This is the small practice version (30″ x 45″)
the bigger one is 60″ square and I will start that soon.
Here is a tour of the garden today (click pictures to enlarge)
I got the old singer stitching beautifully! I will show you that next time.
I was planning to get one of those beautiful dyed panels marked for quilting this weekend but I got sidetracked with a new idea. I was working through my pile of fabric and came across this very dark blue upholstery fabric that is 60 inches wide and decided to cut a 60 inch square to save out for making a quilt (I bought it for purses). Well I couldn’t help myself and I got to work on a design.
I drew this on with chalk (the chalkboard kind). It is just to get the basic design onto the fabric , the chalk just rubs off which makes the drawing easier so I can easily erase. Once I am happy with the design I will go back with a white wash away marker and re-mark it. The white marker won’t rub off like the chalk so I wont loose all my lines when I start quilting it.
I finished the quilting on another small leather quilt (18×24) I call it “some things bug me”
I got a new to me machine a few weeks ago and I gave it a tune up (it was totally frozen up ).
It is a Singer 401a and it is a great machine.
And here are more garden pictures (click pictures to enlarge)
I finished up the hand quilting and binding on the scrappy 1900 quilt.
I left the edges wonky rather than trying to square it up and have to cut off a lot of fabric. My goal with this was to make it look like it was all made by the same person. I imagined how the person who made the top might do the quilting and I figured they would be as unconcerned for uniformity in the quilting as they were in the piecing so the quilting is intentionally irregular.
Here are some more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)
I made a video of how I did the binding. (Teddy makes an appearance)
And here are some more pictures of the garden today
We have had a few short rain showers the last few days and the flowers appreciate it! (click pictures to enlarge)
I made another Journal
Now back to work on hand quilting……almost at the half way point on this one.
I got the binding done
It it 75″ x 90″. I think I’ll add a hanging sleeve and hang it in the living room for a while.
I am back to work on the peppered cotton quilt.
It is fighting me every step of the way. All that quilting on the stripes is a lot harder than I thought it would be!
My entire garden smells like roses!
Here are a few more that are opening (click pictures to enlarge)
Teddy says HI
Last time I had 2 sides finished.
Now I have 3.
It seems to be taking forever….but I should be able to finish the piecing tomorrow.
It has been a great luxury to have the space on the floor to lay out the blocks and still have room to work.
The garden is starting to bloom more. (click pictures to enlarge)
The grass in the new fenced in yard is starting to fill in. I had to have some grass for Teddy. I thought about doing sod but grass seed is a lot less expensive 🙂
I will be planting the space around the edges with flowers and shrubs. Most of that will have to wait for spring.