Whole Cloth AAQI Quilt…and a blast from the past

Yesterday I posted about the quilting that I am doing on the vintage/antique log cabin quilt.  While I was doing that quilting I started thinking again about making a whole cloth quilt. I have been wanting to tackle one for a long time and what has been the barrier is that I just can’t stand marking!  I am just not accurate at all. Almost all of my sewing is done without a pattern , seam allowances are done by eye, I use my arm for a yard stick, I use kitchen bowls for templates.  Yesterday the light went on, I can do a whole cloth quilt without the traditional perfectly symmetrical and geometric marking.

I grabbed a hunk of muslin off the pile and a scrap piece of wool batting and made a little quilt sandwich.  With a wash away marker I drew a 9″ x 12″ rectangle (AAQI quilts need to be that size) and a quick outline of a few leaves and a stem.

I used a #12 needle and coats cotton thread (because that is what was right at hand)  and a few hours later here is what I had

I used some colored pencil to lightly shade the design…but if you look at the back it really didn’t need the shading to show the quilting

Next time I will use a different muslin.  The one has a pretty high thread count, 200 I think) and it is not as easy to quilt, but I still got some nice little stitches

I should have put something in the picture to show scale but to give you an idea this leaf is 2″ wide.

I need to bind this little quilt and send if off to AAQI.  I think it is a great way to try out something new….make a little sample and make that into a little quilt for a good cause.

I got another new quilt top…I’m thinking it is from the 70’s

There is a great variety of vintage and bold fabrics, a few poly, cotton, poly blends, double knits, all kinds of fun stuff.  See the pictures below (click to enlarge)

Happy Quilting

Tim

Bird quilts and log cabins

I started to work on my log cabin variation antique.  I am doing some simple outline quilting in the pieced blocks, I have not decided what I will do in the red bands, but I will know when I get there. Nothing traditional  or uniform or fussy will do…so I will make something up as I go.

the backing is actually dark gray but the picture looks rather brown

My first quilt was a bird quilt, and I have always been drawn to quilts with embroidered blocks of  birds.

I am working on some small quilts for AAQI with birds that I painted

I have the butterfly finished

I need to get the birds done and get these in the mail.

I recently purchased a group of blocks from the Ruby McKim Bird life/Audubon pattern.  The patterns are available again at the Mckim Studios web site.

The were first published in 1928

There were 24 designs, but I only got 18.  They are very well done and I know they will make the basis for a great quilt.

here are the blocks (click to enlarge)

Happy Quilting

Tim

AAQI Quilts and Garden pictures

2 of the quilts that I made for the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) have been put up for sale.

They are #11,206

11,206 - Branching Out

and #11,207

11,207 - Rails

There are many other quilts of many styles…please take a look…

I have been informed that 11,206 is sold…(see comments section below)…I will be making more soon

It has been a while since I shared garden pictures so here are a few (click to enlarge)

Happy Gardening and happy Quilting

Tim

Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative Monarch Quilt

I finished up the Monarch Butterfly quilt for the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative.  I will do the bird quilts soon.   I made the quilt from a picture I painted of a butterfly in my garden

I printed it on ink jet computer fabric

and I added a fabric frame and hand quilted it

Check back soon for the Bird quilts.

Happy Quilting

Tim

More AAQI quilts

I know I said that I needed to focus on the projects that I have already started, but I had an idea and I had to try it out.   One of the things that I enjoy is painting.  I Have always wanted to make a quilt based on a painting.  I have been wanting to try out printing fabric with the computer, so I scanned a few pictures and printed them….they are the perfect size to make into Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative  quilts.

here are the paintings

I looked at the dates on these…2008…yikes I need to get the paints out again!  Be that as it may here are the printed on fabric versions.

 

Next I will trim them and add a fabric frame (they can only be a maximum of 9″ x 12″)  and then do some hand quilting….progress pictures soon

I encourage everyone to visit Celebrate Hand Quilting for a fantastic give away….$100 gift certificate from the Stencil Company!  The deadline to enter is Aug 4.

Happy Quilting

Tim