Another Batik Top Finished.

I Finished up the next Batik Top.     I posted a few days ago about how I made the center blocks ( https://timquilts.com/2015/07/14/using-up-the-extras/)

DSCN7572

I liked the center so much that I decided to add a wide border and make it full-sized. I made the border blocks much the same way but different sized and with different fabrics.

Here is how I did the border.   I stacked up 5 different batiks (they were about 22″ x 18″)  and I cut them up and then arranged them like this.

DSCN7581

Then sewed them together and re-cut them the opposite direction and rearranged the pieces again like this.

DSCN7574

then sewed them together

DSCN7577

I trimmed the finished blocks to straighten up the edges to 14″ X 17″.

Here they are partially arranged with the center.

DSCN7579

Teddy says OK sew them on……

DSCN7580

I made the sides wider than the top and bottom border to get a better finished size.

one more side to go and a last strip of purple and here it is.

DSCN7582

Finished size is 80″ x 90″.

I really like it 🙂

Happy Quilting

Tim

 

Sunday Update

I have made a few more of the Batik Blocks…..only 91 to go now 🙂

DSCN3907

Working on some more hand quilting

DSCN3905 DSCN3904 DSCN3903

I plan to make a pattern for this one as soon as I finish it.   I want to fine tune some of the details before I do that.

 

Now I need to get to work in the garden…..fall is starting and I need to start some clean up …pictures of the garden next time

Happy Quilting

Tim

The Thinker

Teddy has been thinking about this quilt……I think he is trying to calculate how much more work it will be to finish it.

He doesn’t know this one will be a wall hanging and he won’t be able to sit on it when it is done.

DSCN3832

I have about 1/4 of it finished.

DSCN3827 DSCN3826

I started work on the Batik Project.

Batik plan

since there are so many long skinny points on this I am going to paper foundation piece it.  I printed up a pile of patterns.

DSCN3830

I don’t do Paper piecing very often so I am very slow!  but it does make for much greater accuracy than I would get by cutting the pieces with templates and then trying not to stretch out all those points.

I did a test block with the textured cotton fabrics I got at AQS

DSCN3824

it worked out so I changed to the batik and have one block done

DSCN3829

and only 99 to go.

Happy Quilting

Tim

 

Batik project

I have yet another new project in the planning stage.   This one will use Batik Fabrics.

DSCN3820

They are so cool.   Lots of variety

DSCN3823 DSCN3822 DSCN3821

My camera is not doing them justice , the colors are really much brighter.

They are from Lelia and Co. Fabric and Design and are 100% cotton and 100% handmade and available in their Etsy Shop  The pictures there are much better.

I am prewashing them all now and while they are in the wash I started playing with some ideas for a quilt layout (I used the center of the last quilt and made some changes)

Batik plan

I did not scan the fabrics yet to get an accurate mock-up but here is the start of the plan just using some fabrics out of the EQ program.

I’m sure there will be a few changes before I get it all ready to go but I really like it so far.

I will of course hand quilt it when I finish the piecing.

Happy Quilting

Tim

Hand Quilting…..always learning

When I first started hand quilting I read a book on the subject. “Learn to do Hand Quilting in Just One Day….and then practice for the rest of your life”  by Nancy Daniel.  It is a very informative book but I didn’t change my quilting method to match hers.  The part of the book I like best is the  subtitle……practice for the rest of your life.

I think that every quilt is different and there is ALWAYS something new to learn and improvements that can be made, and every quilt is practice for the next one.

My current quilt is no exception.   The backing fabric is batik.  Batik fabric is very tightly woven and is not easy to quilt through.  After a few days of working on it I have found what works best for me.  On my last quilt

finished-tree0009

I was quilting through muslin both front and back and I was taking about 5 or 6 stitches before pulling the needle through, on this quilt I find that 2 or 3 stitches at a time is better.  Less stitches at a time is allowing me to get more uniformity in size and smaller stitches.  I started this quilt using an 18″ hoop

and yesterday I switched to my 22″ floor stand hoop.

I find that it is much easier in the stand because the weight of the quilt is off my arms and I can get more force behind the needle.

I feel like I am getting a rhythm going now and I think the quilting is looking pretty good.

Here are some more pictures (click to enlarge)

Back to practicing

Happy Quilting

Tim