Since I started collecting sewing machines I have wanted a Wilcox and Gibbs chain stitch machine. Around the new year my quilting friend Teddy Pruett was working on making room in her studio and had one to sell, which I was happy to buy!
Next I started looking for a treadle base for it, and I found one a few months ago…..and the last part was the wooden top which I found this week.
I got the three parts put together and made a video of how it works.
I also took a bunch of garden pictures this morning…and here they are (click pictures to enlarge)
I am in the middle of a few quilts right now so back to work.
It rained last night. A lot! Pretty strong thunderstorms here in Lansing but other parts of Michigan were hit harder, hail and tornadoes. Gardening in wet soil is never a good thing because it compacts the soil so I decided to work indoors today.
It has been so long since I worked at the quilt frame that I really had to warm up.
The way I guilt I am most comfortable quilting away from myself and to the right (could be because I am left-handed). In a hoop I simply turn the hoop to change directions but the frame is stationary so I have to change the direction I am quilting. The result being that I was a bit slower until I got back into the rhythm. I made my way across the frame once and cranked it up to the next area to quilt.
Teddy likes to sit in my chair when I get up.
It was sunny most of the day so the garden dried and I did some pruning and weeding. Nothing like the piles of the new garden but it is always amazing to me how fast things grow,
Here are some garden pictures from this evening. Click pictures to enlarge
More progress on the trapunto…the center is nearly finished. I have half of the deer and trees to finish and one corner of lattice and bells.
I have use 2 skeins of yarn so far.
I stuff it pretty tight so it takes a lot.
The garden continues to grow. Here are a few pictures. The roses are stating and the Lupine are really looking great. (click pictures to enlarge)
I was looking at some quilt blocks on the floor (my design area is the floor) and it occurred to me that I never remember to look out the window. (the window is on the second floor and I have to look out and down to see the garden) Earlier today we had a bit of a hail storm so when I looked out I was afraid that I might see all my flowers flattened. Fortunately flowers a tough!
When I typed Look Through My Window the song by the Mamas and the Papas came to mind.
The blocks I was looking at are the blocks with the Interplay Fabrics
I have 8 of the 12 fabrics done and I should be done with the last 4 and ready to piece all the blocks together in a day or so.
For now back to hand quilting
I have about 3/4 of the first block done in the Antique Applique quilt
So if it takes 3 days for one block…..20 blocks = 60 days and then there is the border which is equivalent to the area of the 20 blocks so another 60 days…so 120 days then I might add trapunto….several more days….and I will be working on other quilts at the same time…I can’t only work on one quilt for that long, I need to take a break and work on other things to keep fresh. Anyway the message is that this is going to be a long-term project.
When I finish this block I plan to play with piecing a few vintage blocks for a change of pace.
The forecast for the next few days is for thunderstorms. I got some yard work done today and took some pictures again so here they are (click on picture to enlarge)