I got another machine. I really didn’t need the machine itself. I already have 3 Singer 66 machines. But the cabinet is a different story!
The drawing-room cabinet is a model 22 from 1921.
The machine is a back clamping machine (the feet screw on from the back rather than the side) and needs an adapter in order to fit a quilting foot to do free motion quilting. I ordered one but decided to put one of my other machines in it to try it out.
The one I put in is basically the same machine but can use normal feet.
The treadle works great!
Teddy is supervising.
I am on the final stretch finishing up bag orders. I should have them all assembled on Thursday.
It is that time of year where I never seem to be able to find enough time to do all the things I want to do.
I bought a great new sewing machine, Pfaff 230 and put it in the treadle to try it out.
I made a bag with it.
I have 4 more to make and I will be caught up on orders…..then I can get back to some of the many projects I have started.
Remember this one?
I finished the basic hand quilting on it and got it in the wash to take out all the marking lines and it is hanging to dry now……next I can go back and do the filling in quilting like I did in this small section.
then I’ll add trapunto and then binding.
I have an old Singer 31-15 that I plan to get working.
I got a treadle base for it today…..I need to do some modifications to that to fit the extra-large machine…..and then do a lot of work on the machine itself. I’ll use it for larger free motion projects because it has so much space , over 10 inches between the needle and the column.
Teddy got dressed for Christmas.
And it has warmed up again…….it is 35 degrees now. It wont melt all the snow but it should make for safer holiday travel.
Merry Christmas and Happy Quilting
We actually had a little rain the last few days and the garden appreciated it (click pictures to enlarge)
Hand Quilting continues
I finished the Double Irish Chain Quilt
Another video of how I finished it shows how to do the knife edge binding
(some people have been having trouble with the sound and I am sorry about that, I am doing the best I can with the cameras that I have……all I can suggest is to turn up the volume as high as it goes, YouTube adds closed captioning but I have noticed that what they have is very strange and often very different from what I am actually saying)
Here is the previous part
I had an idea to make some book covers today
Those of you who think I work fast will get a kick out of this video
Teddy says HI
I made a quilt top last summer (here is the post about how https://timquilts.com/2015/07/17/another-batik-top-finished/ ) and I finished quilting it this week.
Here are some pictures (click pictures to enlarge)
Here is a video of how I did the Free Motion Quilting on my Singer 66 Treadle
Now back to hand quilting…..and new video of that coming soon
I have been working on the rose quilt. Here are a few pictures (click pictures to enlarge)
Teddy is helping hold it down
I am getting close to the end on the Hex tripe with Peppered cotton fabric.
This turned into a bigger project than I had planned….but it is looking pretty good.
I bought a White rotary sewing machine from eBay. It came in a bent wood carrying case which was broken in shipping.
It also had a motor which was held together with electrical tape. I took off the motor (I’ll work on repairing that later) and put the machine on one of my treadle bases.
white machine had the top clamping presser foot and there is no free motion presser foot that will fit. I took out the presser bar and changed it with a singer presser bar so I could use a free motion foot on it.
Here is a picture of the presser bar I took out and on the right is a side clamping Singer foot so you can see the difference.
The new presser bar makes the feet fit but not all of them will work. The distance between needle bar and presser bar is greater in a white than a singer so I had to try a few different feet to find one that would work.
This was the one that did the trick
and here is a bit of testing
It works great!
Back to hand quilting for now
I had to start another quilt on the treadle. I feel like I am getting the hang of it now. I still am working on the hand quilting of the flannel quilt, but I can only do a few hours a day and my hands and shoulder have had it. I usually do 6+ hours a day so I need to have some quilting to do that doesn’t use the hand quilting muscles and I am having fun with the treadle.
As you may know I have a ton of old quilt tops. Some I bought because they struck me as very interesting but don’t really warrant all the time to hand quilt so they are good candidates for machine quilting .
This one is from the 60’s-70’s I imagine. Synthetic fabrics, mixed with some cotton fabric and the yellow center is actually a small gingham check in rayon/acetate .
I think it is a pretty neat top but it is really off. There isn’t a straight line in it and it will not lay flat ( and what a chore to try pressing it). It is however proving to be fun to quilt.
I am using a rust/redish thread and doing a LOT of quilting.
The back is going to be pretty as well
Here are a few more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)
It is nice to give new things a try and as much as I enjoy hand quilting I have found that I also enjoy machine quilting on my treadle machine. ( I do tend to always prefer low tech)
My hands are rested so back to work on that hand quilting project