I quilted the block using 2 layers of batting for added structure and did very dense quilting which also tends to add stiffness. I lined it with a red batik look fabric. I decided it would look more interesting to not center the large snowflake so I made it sort of wrap around the bag. Now that I have it made I realize I should have take pictures of the steps so I will try to get another one done this week and get pictures and write up some instructions .
I did the quilting and bag construction on my Montgomery Ward machine ( made in Japan in the 60’s). I bought this machine because I wanted the cabinet that it came in. The machine itself was a bit of a mess and I almost asked the people at the antique mall if I could just take the cabinet and leave the machine . It was rusty and it would not move at all. I decided to give it a chance and cleaned and oiled it and it came back to life. I have still have the motor attached to it but I use it in one of my treadle bases. This one takes singer 15 bobbins and standard needles. it is easy to get different feet for it because they are standard low shank feet. It makes a great zig zag stitch, the feed dogs drop, makes a great straight stitch and I love the color. The cabinet and machine were 20 dollars….it is now one of my favorite machines.
I started to do some work on another hand quilting video. I am working on trying to figure out the best camera angle and how to keep my hands out of the way….not an easy task!
here is a bit of it in an unedited format……and if you watch to the end you will see that Teddy makes an appearance
( Update: I am sorry if this video is not working ….I can’t seem to get it to load properly)
One more thing today because it is close to thanksgiving and I have been thinking about all the things I am thankful for. I have to thank those who donated to the blog. For privacy reasons I won’t name you publicly but I truly am thankful for your support! Your donations have gone directly to the blog costs.