It has been a while since I posted, I have been busy, and still not quite up to par. But the good news is that next procedure (to break up the pancreatic stones) is Monday morning. I should be able to fee the benefits of that fairly quickly 🙂 .
I have made a few new bags
And Teddy has been helping
A few of them sold already but there are some more available in my Etsy store here https://www.etsy.com/shop/timquilts
Also working on a few sewing machines. Singer W9
it sews beautifully! It is basically a Wheeler and Wilson D9 with a few changes (they changed the bed length to fit singer cabinets and changed to a 221 bobbin) Singer bought out the company in 1905 but continued to make this model for a few years. They mainly bought the company to get their commercial machine technology but the D9 was a popular machine in the home machine line so they kept it. The paint and decals are pretty bad so I might do a full repaint and new decals on this one.
and A singer 188K1
Sometimes called a commercial machine but I consider it a sort of in between. It is bigger than my home versions but smaller than my 31-15 commercial. It had been used with some oddball needles…they were shorter than the 16×231 needles that were called for in manuals so I had to figure out why….turns out that I had to re-set the needle bar so that the correct needles worked. It is working fine now and it in a treadle base….I need to make a new table top for it since it really doesn’t fit properly in a commercial top or a home machine top.
Snow has been falling
I must say I could do without it 🙂 but it is pretty to look at
The coneflowers are blooming away in the garden.
It inspired me to start this quilt.
I worked on it a little more
I have a lot of background quilting to go and I want to do a bit more painting.
I worked on the sewing machine top….here is the before
Not perfect to be sure but I hope I look that good when I am 130.
Now I can clean up a bit and re-organize to find a good place to put it ….it sews beautifully so I do plan to use it .
I got another machine. I really didn’t need the machine itself. I already have 3 Singer 66 machines. But the cabinet is a different story!
The drawing-room cabinet is a model 22 from 1921.
The machine is a back clamping machine (the feet screw on from the back rather than the side) and needs an adapter in order to fit a quilting foot to do free motion quilting. I ordered one but decided to put one of my other machines in it to try it out.
The one I put in is basically the same machine but can use normal feet.
The treadle works great!
Teddy is supervising.
I am on the final stretch finishing up bag orders. I should have them all assembled on Thursday.
What is a sewing machine hoarder to do when he goes to an antique mall and sees this for 25 dollars?
Of course I had to buy it.
I already have 2 other Singer 66 machines but this one is a newer model. 1941 based on the serial number.
The wiring is shot so I didn’t even test the motor or light. The cabinet is painted and the paint is peeling. I didn’t mind that because I plan to put it in one of my treadle bases.
I took off the motor and light and then took off all the plates to clean and oil it.
Here is some of the lint I got out of the bobbin area and the feed dogs.
It really was not bad as old machines go. I got it cleaned and it is ready to put in the treadle tomorrow for a test run.
It takes class 66 bobbins, standard low shank presser feet and standard needles so I have everything I need.
I think I will sand and paint the cabinet….I almost left it at the store but didn’t have a screw driver to get the machine out of the cabinet. It turns out that the cabinet is not bad at all….just the paint is ugly and peeling. I have a few machines that I use corded and the cabinet will work for those.
I’ll let you know how it works soon
I have been rearranging my machines so I can use them easier. I have 5 Treadles set up
and some machines that I switch out with those that are in the treadle bases now.
and an electric.
Also two more electrics in cabinets upstairs and another down here that I forgot to get pictures of.
So it that too many?
I use them all…..and it is so much fun to decide which one to use for the next project…..and I love to work on them, repair and rehab…..
I am always on the look out for one I don’t have yet
It is Fall here in Lansing And I really need to get some yard work done
Teddy has been enjoying the fall weather
He keeps busy sniffing the ground to see where the squirrels have been.
Time to get to work…….that new quilt is calling me
As you know I am a bit of a vintage sewing machine nut. I couldn’t pass this one up.
It was a mess! but I knew I could save it 🙂 ….here is how I did it.
I decided to piece a new top on the new machine.
I posted a picture of the fabrics a while back
The are all from the scrap table at my local quilt guild.
here is the layout of the center
and the start of piecing
I think this one will be big stitch hand quilted….I need to look in my stash to find fabric for the edges and a border.
I am almost done with this quilt.
Borders on 3 more sides yet to finish and then binding.
I switched to the Singer 127 because it so large and easier to fit a full-sized quilt under.
I worked on a Singer 15 today and it is running great. I had to adjust the height of the needle bar to make it work.
It is a very pretty machine and it makes a great stitch but the harp space (distance between the needle and the pillar) is smaller so I wont be doing a lot of free motion quilting on it.
It rained this morning but cleared up this evening so I took some more pictures of the garden. ( I added captions but not I think it is too slow)